Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local TV News covering three different population centers in my viewing area refers to "Gun Violence" as the lead into the news segment. There is a commonality which is obvious to the viewer, minority enclaves/neighborhoods as opposed to other segments of society. If one simply ignores the oblivious then it becomes difficult to address thus solve the problem. Political Correctness only adds to he problem as opposed to solving the problem.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
I adamantly refuse to use the media speak term “gun violence, it is violence USING a gun.
Exactly! If somoene is beaten to death with a tire iron nobody cares, but if someone is shot they care. They dont care about the person that died though, they just care that a gun was used. Nobody will ever remember who the victim was.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
"Gun violence" probably (erroneously) includes:
- Criminals shot by cops
- Criminals shot as a result of legal self defense.

And, probably a contentious topic, but pet dogs get a more merciful death than the drawn out misery that some people have to endure.
- Suicide by someone about to die anyway (about to go to hospice, terminal cancer) and chose to not spend the last few days drugged, hooked to machines, dying slow in bed.

·
Super Moderator
19,230 Posts
Control the language and you control the way people think. "Gun violence" is a trope manufactured by the left to earn sympathetic thoughts, and now you can't go a day without seeing or hearing the term. I think the left and their news media puppets think they gain more traction with it than with "gun control." Just as with the Sugarman-coined term "assault weapon" a generation ago.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Control the language and you control the way people think. "Gun violence" is a trope manufactured by the left to earn sympathetic thoughts, and now you can't go a day without seeing or hearing the term. I think the left and their news media puppets think they gain more traction with it than with "gun control." Just as with the Sugarman-coined term "assault weapon" a generation ago.
+1

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
"Gun violence" probably (erroneously) includes:
- Criminals shot by cops
- Criminals shot as a result of legal self defense.

And, probably a contentious topic, but pet dogs get a more merciful death than the drawn out misery that some people have to endure.
- Suicide by someone about to die anyway (about to go to hospice, terminal cancer) and chose to not spend the last few days drugged, hooked to machines, dying slow in bed.
And Suicide.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I adamantly refuse to use the media speak term “gun violence, it is violence USING a gun.
I suggest we use "criminal violence" and "nut-case violence," as appropriate according to the situation.
Perhaps with a concerted effort, we can change the rhetoric.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I suggest we use "criminal violence" and "nut-case violence," as appropriate according to the situation.
Perhaps with a concerted effort, we can change the rhetoric.
I always refer to "evil person doing something violent with a gun" as opposed to "gun violence".

·
Premium Member
33,757 Posts
We are being saturated with anti-gun "gun violence" everywhere, both with MSM and the internet outlets. Yahoo and Facebook news feeds both have me targeted with it non-stop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts