Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased several guns but have never sold anything. Thinking of selling a couple guns through Gunbroker and I am looking for a little advice. My biggest concern is what form of payment is safe for me as the seller to accept? Also, is it the buyer or sellers responsibility to ensure the firearm is legal in their locality?

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Buyers responsibility for legality in their area. About payment most of what I have purchased from private individuals has been with a USPS money order which I would prefer as a seller.

I should add that the warning about buyer being responsible for legality is in most all ads so I am assuming that is the legal way? Don't take my word for it though.

·
Registered
Pistoleer
496 Posts
GunBroker just recently started their own version of PayPal called Gun Broker Pay. I just signed up for it and it looks like it will make transactions a lot easier since payment is to and from each persons bank accounts. It seems like it will be the easiest and safest means of buying firearms and other items from GunBroker. It's still kind of new but I have slowly seen more sellers offer it as a means of payment.

·
Registered
923 Posts
USPS money orders can be cashed at any post office, subject to funds on hand at the time, so there is seldom any delay in determining the validity of the payment. Maximum amount for a single USPS money order is $1000.00, so larger transactions may be more complicated. There have been reports from time to time of counterfeit USPS money orders (as well as others), so it never hurts to wait on shipping until the funds have cleared.

Certified checks and cashiers checks are good payment methods, but some levels of fraud have been noted. Even when one of these is received it is a reasonable practice to deposit the check to your account and wait until the funds have cleared before shipping. With modern banking methods check clearance seldom requires more than 2 or 3 business days.

A basic tool offered by GunBroker is the history of each user. A buyer with hundreds of positive reviews over a period of several years is generally preferable to a buyer with little or no history reported.

Like everything else in internet commerce (indeed, daily life in the modern world) there are sharks in all waters, people looking for ways to scam others out of money. The worst experience I had on GunBroker was a parts thief; purchased a desirable antique firearm, stole valuable parts, then demanded a refund due to condition of the gun. If there is a way to rip someone off there is someone working that scam every day.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would be afraid to use a money order. Nothing to stop the "seller" from cashing the money order and not sending anything in return, other than maybe being booted from the site.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would be afraid to use a money order. Nothing to stop the "seller" from cashing the money order and not sending anything in return, other than maybe being booted from the site.
I was afraid to use a USPS MO too but I check to see what kind of selling history they have. Also, if they have many items for sale, then it is in their best interest to be honest and do a good transaction and hopefully, they want to continue their good reputation, esp if it's a business setup on GB. Using a USPS money order, I believe, would get the Post Office involved if there was fraud. Would this be mail fraud? Postal investigations are relentless.

I've bought a few expensive items on GB, but always did my due diligence checking seller's history, items for sale and asking questions just so I can see how they respond. They've all been good so far, but I've seen the scammers. One seller said he doesn't do returns because people switch out parts in their guns then ask for a return. Those people are scum.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GunBroker just recently started their own version of PayPal called Gun Broker Pay. I just signed up for it and it looks like it will make transactions a lot easier since payment is to and from each persons bank accounts. It seems like it will be the easiest and safest means of buying firearms and other items from GunBroker. It's still kind of new but I have slowly seen more sellers offer it as a means of payment.
Thanks. I will have to check in to the Gun Broker Pay. I would think that would be safer for both parties.

USPS money orders can be cashed at any post office, subject to funds on hand at the time, so there is seldom any delay in determining the validity of the payment. Maximum amount for a single USPS money order is $1000.00, so larger transactions may be more complicated. There have been reports from time to time of counterfeit USPS money orders (as well as others), so it never hurts to wait on shipping until the funds have cleared.

Certified checks and cashiers checks are good payment methods, but some levels of fraud have been noted. Even when one of these is received it is a reasonable practice to deposit the check to your account and wait until the funds have cleared before shipping. With modern banking methods check clearance seldom requires more than 2 or 3 business days.

A basic tool offered by GunBroker is the history of each user. A buyer with hundreds of positive reviews over a period of several years is generally preferable to a buyer with little or no history reported.

Like everything else in internet commerce (indeed, daily life in the modern world) there are sharks in all waters, people looking for ways to scam others out of money. The worst experience I had on GunBroker was a parts thief; purchased a desirable antique firearm, stole valuable parts, then demanded a refund due to condition of the gun. If there is a way to rip someone off there is someone working that scam every day.

I have bought and sold items on a couple hunting and archery forums and have had good results. A couple people paid with bank checks and personal checks. They did not have an issue with me waiting for them to clear before shipping.

I was afraid to use a USPS MO too but I check to see what kind of selling history they have. Also, if they have many items for sale, then it is in their best interest to be honest and do a good transaction and hopefully, they want to continue their good reputation, esp if it's a business setup on GB. Using a USPS money order, I believe, would get the Post Office involved if there was fraud. Would this be mail fraud? Postal investigations are relentless.

I've bought a few expensive items on GB, but always did my due diligence checking seller's history, items for sale and asking questions just so I can see how they respond. They've all been good so far, but I've seen the scammers. One seller said he doesn't do returns because people switch out parts in their guns then ask for a return. Those people are scum.

Yes, the postal inspector can get involved but I'm not sure how much of a hassle it is to get them involved. On another forum I belong the postal inspector did get involved but it was 1 particular person that had scammed multiple members. If memory serves me correctly, it took quite a while.

I may try locally first as that would be less of a hassle and keep my eyes on GunBroker!

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I sell a few on GB and its easy ,just be clear on the auction ,keep in mind most of todays buyers are new and you need to lead them along
I take Visa/MC over the phone with my Square App or they can paypal me as friends and family

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sell a few on GB and its easy ,just be clear on the auction ,keep in mind most of todays buyers are new and you need to lead them along
I take Visa/MC over the phone with my Square App or they can paypal me as friends and family
Thanks for the reply!

I think I am going to continue watching the prices as I think the closer we get to the election, the more prices will continue to rise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts