Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that guns are tools designed for specific purposes - hunting, self defense, and warfare come to mind. They are also tools that need to be handled carefully and correctly to avoid serious problems. Guns can also be expensive. Anyway, it has been too cold to go shoot at my local dump so I went to the safe and handled my guns - checked to make sure they were unloaded, oil ragged them down, and "played" with them (by "play" I mean I went through basic drills with my guns - it is serious fun and I bet I am not the only one who does it - I hope not anyway). The point is I have one gun, a Rossi Ranch Hand that I had customized to look as much as possible like the gun that Steve McQueen used in Wanted: Dead or Alive. It is by far the most fun gun I have to shoot. Every time I go to my "range", I take the Ranch Hand along and fire off ten or twelve rounds just because it is fun to shoot.
Anyone else have a gun that is really nothing more then a fantasy but it is fun to shoot? (I have to admit that I do carry my Ranch Hand when I backpack - it has some realistic uses, but it is so much fun to shoot!)

·
Registered
712 Posts
All of mine have used. Some have more uses than others.

But I certainly know what you mean. For me it's probably my single action 22 revolver. I did by it with a specific use in mind, just haven't gotten to that use yet

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Every time I take out my Rossi R92 in 38/357, the theme song from the Rifleman runs through my head.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
My M&P 15-22 is my go-to fun gun! Everybody that shoots it wants to get one! It is closely followed by my Stag Arms 9mm AR!

Reactions: Tundra5.7

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I have an old Remington .22 rifle that was given to me a few years back by my BIL, who bought it at an estate sale.
it has the longest barrel I've ever seen on a rifle...don't remember the model # of it but I managed to date it a while back thru some Remington Serial # research and it's from the mid 1930s. It's a single shot bolt...open the bolt, load a bullet, close the bolt, pull the bolt/firing pin back, squeeze the trigger, repeat.
That old rifle is an iron sighted tack driver. Jed Clampett could shoot flies off his wall at 100 yards with it. And it's a fun gun to shoot...takes all afternoon to go thru a 50 rnd box of ammo!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you always "train" at the range? Or do you sometimes "just go shooting"?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Nah, mostly, I go to the dump (my "range") just to shoot. Shooting is one of my favorite pastimes and recreations. My knees are too bad to play racketball and my golf game sucks so I shoot!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I don't have any strictly "fun" guns though their all fun to shoot. They all have specific uses to provide, but if I had to pick one gun I have the most fun shooting it would be my Marlin Model 60 22LR. I bought it about 4 years ago for $169.

It's not as useful as my 10/22 takedown, but the Model 60 is unique to my heart. I guess I think of it as the rifle I would've wanted as a kid. I never had an opportunity to shoot when I was young, so when I start plinking with that little rifle and hitting cans and such with a box of ammo I feel like a kid again. Kinda reminds me of the my Christmas story that that never happened. Lol

I look forward to the day I hand it down to my son and see that ecstatic look on his face I never got. Hopefully he will continue to be a good representative of what we all believe here. That's when the real fun begins!

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
I'd have to say that most of my guns are "fun guns", as opposed to the few that are realistically counted upon to serve as SD/HD guns, and the Marlin .30-30 which is my pig hunting rifle (although they're fun, too!).

The first three that came to mind when I read "guns for fun" all happen to be Rugers:

10/22
MkII
Mini-14.

While the 10/22 does a lot of varmint control duty, and the Mini-14 has great HD/SHTF potential, I consider all three of these Rugers to be primarily "fun guns". :yup:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My Henry Golden Boy is a fun gun. The only time it'll ever be used practically is if I'm shooting a varmint off the deck. I refuse to drag it through the woods or field because its just too darn purdy. I will spend an afternoon with it ringing steel or popping cheap beer cans, but I'd rather have their steel .22 LR if I'm walking away from the homestead.

The other fun gun is a Buckmark Carbine with a Burris FastFire II on top. It also looks too nice to get dragged through the woods and with a bull barrel, has a bit too much forward heft for a woods walking .22 LR. Great for rapid fire plinking though.

Everything else in the collection was purchased for a practical purpose and most just happen to be fun to shoot.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have an AK 47 (MAK 90) that is fun to shoot by itself but I have put a slide fire stock and a 75 round drum mag on it. Now that the ammo scare is over its now fun to shoot. I love the smiles I get from 10 year old kids when it cranks of 75 in 10 seconds. They love it!!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I most definitely have "fun guns". One is the sr1911 cmd in my avatar. Another would be the heritage rough rider single action .22. I too have been known to take em out and handle them or set em on the coffee table while watching tv or messing around online. Both of these I bough just to have them, no practical purpose behind owning them. Once my back ground check comes off "delay" I'll pick up a tristar c100 (cz 75 compact clone). I bought this one just on a whim. The price was right and I though it looked cool. Don't need it, If I like it I may carry it some just to try out but the primary purpose for this impulse purchase was just cause I think it will be fun to own and shoot. Even purposeful guns like my G26 give me pleasure to shoot and own, but it was bought with a serious purpose in mind first.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun?

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I know that guns are tools designed for specific purposes - hunting, self defense, and warfare come to mind. They are also tools that need to be handled carefully and correctly to avoid serious problems. Guns can also be expensive. Anyway, it has been too cold to go shoot at my local dump so I went to the safe and handled my guns - checked to make sure they were unloaded, oil ragged them down, and "played" with them (by "play" I mean I went through basic drills with my guns - it is serious fun and I bet I am not the only one who does it - I hope not anyway). The point is I have one gun, a Rossi Ranch Hand that I had customized to look as much as possible like the gun that Steve McQueen used in Wanted: Dead or Alive. It is by far the most fun gun I have to shoot. Every time I go to my "range", I take the Ranch Hand along and fire off ten or twelve rounds just because it is fun to shoot.
Anyone else have a gun that is really nothing more then a fantasy but it is fun to shoot? (I have to admit that I do carry my Ranch Hand when I backpack - it has some realistic uses, but it is so much fun to shoot!)
Can't be that much fun if you're only firing a pittance of ammo from it lol

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can't be that much fun if you're only firing a pittance of ammo from it lol
It is desert after a big meal - just enough to satisfy. .357's are in short supply and very expensive around here and my reloader is in repair. Ten or twelve (maybe a few more) is enough to make me want to go back and do it again as soon as I can.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would say my S&W M&P 15-22 is the most fun and one of my most accurate with its peep sights....everyone wants one after they shoot mine, especially shooting suppressed....then it's the Victory....people are shocked at how fast the plates go down with it....after that is my 9mm CMMG AR.....but all my guns are fun to shoot.....if they aren't, then they get sold and replaced by something else that is fun....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts