Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through the list of prohibited places and found that Truck Terminals are prohibited places [ at least in CA]. What I cant find is any definition of what a Truck Terminal is.
So I asked a friend at the local SO, and he confirmed that "Truck Terminals are a prohibited place and he would consider anyplace a truck could park and exchange trailers a terminal. So that would include parking lots, gas stations, truck stops, the loading dock behind Walmart, etc....
So where would I find the definition of what makes a "Truck Terminal"?
Is this a common prohibition, or just a CA thing?
And if I'm fueling my pickup and trailer at a highway truck stop Am I breaking this law?

I know there are several Truck drivers on here and some that have or still do operate in CA, What do you all think? Thanks DR

·
Registered
44,729 Posts
The deputy's concept of truck terminal is wrong and would not hold water. I grew up in a place with a lot of "truck terminals," and they are a specifically built destination, much like an airline companies "hub." It's much like a Walmart or Amazon distribution site. Cargo is loaded, unloaded, rerouted to other destination.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Your states DOT Motor Carrier Compliance would be the best source for that info! I'm sure it probably varies state to state. Good luck!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm not from or in California, but I'm fairly certain a truck terminal is exactly how your SO friend explained: "anyplace a truck could park and exchange trailers," exchange trailers being the key descriptor.

Trucks may park in Walmart loading docks, gas stations, rest areas, etc, but that's not where they typically swap trailers.

Google: "TRUCK TERMINAL means a building or place where trucks are leased, stored or dispatched as common carriers. TRUCK TERMINAL means a warehouse and distribution facility where trucks and trailers are parked or stored as a principal use."
-------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
I was reading through the list of prohibited places and found that Truck Terminals are prohibited places [ at least in CA]. What I cant find is any definition of what a Truck Terminal is.
So I asked a friend at the local SO, and he confirmed that "Truck Terminals are a prohibited place and he would consider anyplace a truck could park and exchange trailers a terminal. So that would include parking lots, gas stations, truck stops, the loading dock behind Walmart, etc....
So where would I find the definition of what makes a "Truck Terminal"?
Is this a common prohibition, or just a CA thing?
And if I'm fueling my pickup and trailer at a highway truck stop Am I breaking this law?

I know there are several Truck drivers on here and some that have or still do operate in CA, What do you all think? Thanks DR
Well, I can't "define truck terminal" BUT I CAN say, that's a policy that is in effect in multiple states. Got a "trucker Brother" & he was shopping for one of these (NOT a firearm) to bypass said policy.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
@dangerranger DOT could be a reference, BUT, this is a "company policy for some National Chain Truck Stops", and assume you'd need to check the Chain's website ALSO!

Reactions: dangerranger

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I worked security at a port terminal for a couple of years. The port did not allow firearms on the terminal, unless authorized. The trucks coming in were screened for contraband, explosives, etc.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Re: a "company policy for some National Chain Truck Stops"

That definitely is a state-by-state issue. I'm glad I live in Kansas; the only prohibited-by-law properties are federal and in airport secure areas.

Prohibited carrying in National Chain Truck Stops may be a company policy but it's not a violation of the law. Signage carries the same legal weight as "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" signs at restaurants.

-------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I worked security at a port terminal for a couple of years. The port did not allow firearms on the terminal, unless authorized. The trucks coming in were screened for contraband, explosives, etc.
Would this be like the secure area at an airport? The only places I have seen treated this way are the Customs hold at the airport, and a tobacco wherehouse. Both are fenced secure areas, with armed security! That would not include gas stations, truck stops, parking lots, or loading docks.
When I Google "Definition of Truck Terminal " I get a lot of Municipality's updating their definition of truck terminal for their zoning laws. Not so much what is a terminal, but what can go on there.

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
Regardless of what the actual definition, the California legal system will use the broadest, most far reaching definition it can come up with - be aware.

Reactions: airslot and Snub44

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Would this be like the secure area at an airport? The only places I have seen treated this way are the Customs hold at the airport, and a tobacco wherehouse. Both are fenced secure areas, with armed security! That would not include gas stations, truck stops, parking lots, or loading docks.
When I Google "Definition of Truck Terminal " I get a lot of Municipality's updating their definition of truck terminal for their zoning laws. Not so much what is a terminal, but what can go on there.
No. That is the shipping port. Used to be APM terminal. The cargo ships came in to load and unload. Along with that, the 18 wheelers came thru to pickup boxes and drop them off. They had to go thru a check area. The searches were quick and random. All the trucks coming in were scheduled for a certain day and time frame. It’s all electronically controlled. Actually saw the Maersk Alabama but didn’t see Capt. Phillips. Was interesting but I prefer Private Investgations.😄

Reactions: dangerranger

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Sorry, hate to be flippant, but I'm from Florida and me and Ron Desantis don't give a rats behind what the definition of a truck terminal is. Ok....I was flippant. Sue me.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Truck Terminal is defined in law, CVC 34515(a):

Any place where a vehicle listed in Section 34500 CVC is regularly garaged or maintained, or from which it is operated or dispatched, including a private business or residence.

Reactions: Snub44

·
Registered
5,780 Posts

Any place where a vehicle listed in Section 34500 CVC is regularly garaged or maintained, or from which it is operated or dispatched, including a private business or residence.
So that means that if you are a trucker, and you park your rig at home, you can't have a gun there?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
So that means that if you are a trucker, and you park your rig at home, you can't have a gun there?
Im not a lawyer nor am I fully conversant in California law as a peace officer, but that would seem to be the meaning of the plain language.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Im not a lawyer nor am I fully conversant in California law as a peace officer, but that would seem to be the meaning of the plain language.
Wow. Glad that I live in Arizona. It saddens me what has become of California, and we are probably next here.
But not yet.

·
Registered
7,521 Posts

Kinda like in post # 4 above...not popular but true...welcome to California! Wouldn't cross that border into CA for love nor money.

A lot of states pass laws for revenue purposes...I think CA does it more for CONTROL. No wonder people are fleeing. Late 50s and early 60s, people were flocking out there...jobs and money. Quite a few have discovered freedom is still more important.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Kinda like in post # 4 above...not popular but true...welcome to California! Wouldn't cross that border into CA for love nor money.

A lot of states pass laws for revenue purposes...I think CA does it more for CONTROL. No wonder people are fleeing. Late 50s and early 60s, people were flocking out there...jobs and money. Quite a few have discovered freedom is still more important.
This law appears to be related to the CHP’s terminal inspection program, in their role as a regulatory agency, giving CHPthe right to inspect such a facility and determine whether everything is being done according to law…. Records maintained, maintenance performed, whatever.

However, since the term is defined in statute the definition likely applies to all other uses of the term in statute, unless another definition is specified.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts