Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about buying the M&P Shield as another carry option. As Im looking at different places for pricing, I am finding them coming with a safety, or without one. My thinking is: having a safety would be a good thing, so if you want to use it you can. If it doesnt come with one, you cant use it if you want it.

Obviously there are enough people out there who dont want a safety on the gun for them to manufacture them without. Can some of you enlighten me on why I might want one without a safety?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Because if you plan on carrying it for self-defense, it's one less fine motor function you have to manage in a high stress situation. It's one more thing that can get in your way. Fractions of a second matter. The gun already has a trigger safety on it. Just make it muscle memory to keep your finger well clear of the guard until you're absolutely ready to fire, observe proper safety practices until they are 100% habit, and it should be fine. My M&P full size doesn't have a safety.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I have train with the 1911 most. I bought my shield with a safety, then bought a 9c without. I still tend to flick the safety of even on the guns without.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
Its all personal preference. I tend to prefer guns without a thumb safety just because Im used to shooting without one, but I'll make an exception for the 1911. They aren't really necessary on modern handguns, but some people, and the US Army just cant seem to let them go.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't see an issue with having the safety there as I could just ignore it. I would never engage it as there is really no need. If you think you may use it and don't want to limit your options you may as well get it. Or decide on that issue before making the purchase.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
My wife just bought a 9mm shield yesterday. No safety version. It depends on how you're going to carry it I guess. My thinking is if I know I want to carry with out a safety, I'd just assume it not be there. No reason for it if I'm not going to use it and its impossible for it to become inadvertently engaged if it doesn't exist.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
A person close to me asked about a 9mm Luger handgun.

I told her the LC9-S is what I'd buy (with her budget)and NO Safety
with their PRO
model, as the safety can flick on when you don't know it.

I've read about that even today.

With a DAO or Striker-fired pistol you really don't need a thumb safety.

For a new shooter the act of swiping it off before firing can be one more
step for them to conquer if they ever needed their gun to fire in a hurry.

Those of us who have more training or speficic time and training behind
a 1911, P-35 Browning or CZ75s with thumb safeties, it becomes
natural.

People ask me why I shoot in an old fashioned modified weaver stance
and both thumbs are elevated.

I tell them that I shot 1911s and cocked and locked CZs for years.
As long as I get good hits on my targets, I'm not going to change.

Striker-fired guns like Gs, and the newer crowd LC9-S and P320, ect.

Make for easy to shoot and learn on pistols for new shooters, but I
still say stay away from safety levers unless you just have to have one.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I prefer carry guns w/o safeties but safeties aren't a deal breaker for me. If a gun I carry has a safety I engage it when I holster the pistol and then flick it right off once it is secure.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have some with safeties and some without. It doesn't matter. To me what you are carrying is a part of situational awareness. When I carry a gun with a safety, I sweep the safety off. If there is no safety, there is nothing to be concerned about.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
None of my current weapons have a safety, including my 9mm Shield. I don't really see the value in one and would not buy another handgun if it had one. Just my preference.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't see an issue with having the safety there as I could just ignore it. I would never engage it as there is really no need. If you think you may use it and don't want to limit your options you may as well get it. Or decide on that issue before making the purchase.
That works unless it is inadvertently engaged w/o your knowledge.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I believe its a matter of personal choice. I have both with and without safetys . When I draw the gun everything is automatic. No once have I ever had safety engage unkowingly

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not sure what gun was involved, but a manual safety MAY HAVE prevented this shooting, if the bad guy did not know how to deactivate it.

Gun Control Supporter Steals Concealed Carrier?s Gun, Shoots Him ? Bearing Arms
A 59-year-old Overland Park man was charged Thursday with shooting another man in the leg after taking a gun away from the victim.

Ricky Paul Smith was charged in Johnson County District Court with aggravated battery. He also was charged with aggravated assault after allegedly pointing the gun at another man.

Overland Park police said the incident occurred about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday near 80th Street and Overland Park Drive.

Police said Smith was allegedly upset about another man carrying a concealed weapon. He took the gun away from the man, pointed it at him and another man, and shot the victim in the leg, according to the allegations.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I got the no safety shield. But I come from many years of Sig 220 carry so having no external safety is normal.
an external safety gets in the way, for me, but if that were my EDC I'd get used to it and wouldn't mind it.
The safety on a 1911 seems so natural it's never bothered me, unlike the external safety on a 92F, which just
gets in the way, IMHO, even though it's also a de-cocker.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I'm in the "no safety" camp unless it's a 1911 that's set up for thumbs FWD shooting (large paddle like safety).

It's the only pistol I can reliably and quickly disengage the safety as part of my draw stroke (step 2). It seems like every other pistol I've tried I have to change my grip either before or after disengaging the safety. Barring a 1911, it's either a striker fired (no safety) or my preference which is an HK LEM.

Chuck

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
I have a Shield with safety and one w/o. FWIW the trigger on the one w/o a safety feels smoother to me. A handgun like the Shield does not need additional safety IMO. Follow basic standard safety rules and it should never be a problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Many of thos safeties can't be operated easily under duress (unlike a 1911). That said, I would get one if I were buying my LC9s again. I'd leave it off while carrying and engage it while handling it.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Why don't we just start a caliber war while we're at it? They pretty much seem to run along the same line as the "manual safety/no manual safety" "discussions" in the long run.

There is no right, or wrong, there are only personal preferences in most of these 'choice' matters.

Sorry about the soapbox - been in a bad mood lately.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Why do people use safeties on their handguns?

ISTM it is because they don't trust their handling of them, or the security of their holster.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts