Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to sell one CC and buy something different.

Wondering if there is any good advice on the best place to use as a first time private seller???

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Are you allowed to sell privately in California without an FFL dealer?

·
Registered
143 Posts
You may want to consider working with an FFL on one of the sites to sell it. If you are a first time seller, you may get fewer responses than if you had a couple of positive reviews. I like both gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com when I'm browsing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew that the sale would need to go through an FFL. I do need to review and understand the modern private sale process.

'Till now, I've never sold, I've only purchased.

The local toy stores seem stark for inventory. I was thinking (yea, again) that a broader audience might help the speed at which I can get this done.

It seems like I see the same stuff on consignment for a very long time....

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've bought a few items off gun broker with no problem.

Look for a local or regional firearm forum that has a classified buy/sell section.

Look for a gun specific forum that has buy/sell section.

List it here... you never know?

·
Registered
656 Posts
One big advanatge of selling on line is you ship it to a FFL. Then THEY deciede if the guy is legale to own it, not you. I do not like selling FTF. You can never be sure they person is OK and it can come back to bite you. I have sold a few guns at one time or another on the net since 98. Even on eBay before they went stupid. Never had a problem. I have used Gunbroker, and Auction Arms. Both are good places.

·
Registered
929 Posts
2 auction sites I've used successfully many times for arms & ammo are:

gunbroker.com

auctionarms.com

Of the 2, Gunbroker has a much higher volume of listings, buyers & sellers, they are the "eBay" of the gun market, but I'm sure not the only ones.

As the seller, you'll have to take your gun to a local FFL for them to ship to your buyer's FFL. Be sure your S/H charges include your shipping AND FFL costs.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Personally I prefer Auction Arms of all of them. Have both bought and sold on there. It's seems to be the easiest to use and navigate.

·
8,501 Posts
Of the 2, Gunbroker has a much higher volume of listings, buyers & sellers, they are the "eBay" of the gun market, but I'm sure not the only ones.
That says it right there. You'll get three times as many looks on gunbroker compared to the others.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you want to have more exposure to sell your firearm, your best choice would be gunbroker.com. Also make sure that in your state of residence, you are allowed to sell a firearm privately without an FFL dealer on your end. I know that an FFL needs to be the one entity to accept the firearm through mail, however; in Texas a seller does not have to have an FFl to mail off the firearm to another FFL. In California.....Well....that is a state that has become a country of their own in making their own rules and all. so you have to look into your states laws.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Every gun I ever sold was on GunBroker and most sold on the first listing. I have sold about 10 firearms on it. I have never used no other site to sell a gun so I can not comment on others.

·
Registered
39 Posts
selling on gb

i have done very well in selling my weapons on gunbroker. sold both handguns and long guns. explored the market and offered clean guns at a fair price--everything sold and $$ received was more than i could get on an outright sale or consignment sale via the local shop. one complaint--shipping handguns is very expensive as they have to go overnight. long guns went via priority mail and usually broken down to keep package size minimal. i don't know what the deal is in ca regarding sending weapons as an individual to an ffl holder, but in ct it has been a non issue for me.

i did use gunsamerica on several purchases but gb has been more convenient.

good luck/:danceban:

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I have used both and had no problems whatsoever; luckily for me the FFL dealer most used for these online transactions in San Antonio is well-versed on both sites and is 2 minutes from my front door....

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Once you get 15 more posts under your belt you can try selling it here on DC in Members Buy, Sell, Trade.

·
Registered
40 Posts
did you try Free classifieds - backpage.com No charge and a list of many cities to chose from.
Personally I have bought a Python on Gunbroker described as "Like new box, flawless" that did not work and needed to be sent back to Colt. Gunbroker offered no protection at all. So now i only buy with a credit card. It may be difficult for you on both sites as you will have no feedback. i would try "backpage".

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
One of my local FFL dealers will let me sell on consignment. I've done this before. I've also listed in newspaper classifieds, and even sold a Mossberg 20ga at a garage sale years ago. As far as the sale/auction sites, I'm more familiar with gunsamerica than gunbroker, and to me gunsamerica seems to have a better format and easier to use for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts