Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen them at a number of gun shops in my area. Signs say "no loaded weapons allowed in store"

Now does that include my CC weapon?? I would think not but figured I would ask as it does seem somewhat confusing and I am sure I am not the only person to scratch their head at those signs.

And if that is what it means I certainly would not go to a gun shop that is not ok with CC'ing.

·
Registered
764 Posts
To me, a No loaded gun means no loaded guns, concealed or not. It's just a safety measure. I know here 99% of the gun shops don't mind but there is one close to the house that has a metal detector and he kindly asks if you would check your weapon when you walk in. Which is understandable because anyone here can carry concealed, including irresponsible people. Also this particular shop has been robbed 6 times in the past 2 years. He is way over priced so I don't bother going in there anyway. If it were me I would bring it in an still carry, how would they know if it's concealed?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Gander Mountain, here in NY, posts a sign that says "All Firearms Must Be Checked at Counter, except for Valid Permit Holders"

You might want to check with the manager of the store for clarification.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To me, a No loaded gun means no loaded guns, concealed or not. It's just a safety measure. I know here 99% of the gun shops don't mind but there is one close to the house that has a metal detector and he kindly asks if you would check your weapon when you walk in. Which is understandable because anyone here can carry concealed, including irresponsible people. Also this particular shop has been robbed 6 times in the past 2 years. He is way over priced so I don't bother going in there anyway. If it were me I would bring it in an still carry, how would they know if it's concealed?
Wow check your firearm?? Sounds like a lot of handling too me. I would feel very very uncomfortable pulling out my firearm in public checking it in and then rearming before I leave. And all under the eye of any misfit in the store or outside looking through the window.

And being a strong 2A supporter I try to avoid anyplace that wants me to disarm. I would hate to add the local gun shops to my black list.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This thread seems to pop up about every two weeks or so, with the vast majority of posters saying "I'd never patronize a gun shop that doesn't allow legal carry."

Which, in Jacksonville, would eliminate Shooters, Gun Gallery and Bullseye (all posted no loaded firearms). I don't know about the shops on the west side such as Wild West.

The only shop I know that ISN'T posted in Jax is Gander Mountain.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have seen them at a number of gun shops in my area. Signs say "no loaded weapons allowed in store"

Now does that include my CC weapon?? I would think not but figured I would ask as it does seem somewhat confusing and I am sure I am not the only person to scratch their head at those signs.

And if that is what it means I certainly would not go to a gun shop that is not ok with CC'ing.
It's funny in Indy. One of our gun shops right in the middle of the hood has a sign that says "unload, lock up and come in" next to a sign that says something to the effect "Masked gunmen will be shot by every employee in the store, twice"

however, across town in, well... less of a ghetto no sign and I never disarm. No one there does. In the small shop even further out of town no one is ever unarmed in there.

I think here at least the shops go off the crime in the area as an indicator.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I like the sign in the window of the shop I frequent: "Those who choose to exercise their Second Amendment right here are more than welcome. The owner does."

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
These days, with the prices so high, if I found a good deal at a no loaded guns store. I'd still shop their.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Wow check your firearm?? Sounds like a lot of handling too me. I would feel very very uncomfortable pulling out my firearm in public checking it in and then rearming before I leave. And all under the eye of any misfit in the store or outside looking through the window.

And being a strong 2A supporter I try to avoid anyplace that wants me to disarm. I would hate to add the local gun shops to my black list.
Your absolutely right, I would never check my firearm especially in a gun shop. That's why I don't go there. The guy is a Jerk anyway, so it's not a loss. Theirs about 30 gun shops in a 20 mile radius of me that compete for business so I really don't care about Bob and his crappy shop, I would never give him my gun and I have told him that. If I REALLY needed to go there I would leave it in the car.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
ALL gun shops around here have signs on the doors/windows. They all say the same thing, NO LOADED GUNS IN THE STORE.....does not apply to CFP holders.

·
Registered
40,374 Posts
What part of "No loaded weapons" and your concealed (and loaded) weapons is confusing?
Gun stores have the right to protect themselves from crime also, and I have no problem leaving mine in the car when I enter one. I figure the store owner is prepared to stop a crime as wel as I am. I find this hardly a reason NOT to shop there.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Kinda ironic :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
971 Posts
I thought a shop about 45 mins from me was the exception. I went to walk in a noticed the sign a while back. I asked the guy at the counter if this meant legally concealed arms as well and he said yes. I was honestly suprised. I politely said thank you appologized for being in his place of business and told him my wallet went with my rights.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I take that to mean if you are bringing in a firearm to the gunsmith or to sell make sure it is unloaded.

·
Registered
651 Posts
While working behind the counter and being close to two negligent discharges, the owner put up the no loaded guns in store sign. It has nothing to do with the Constitution. It has EVERYTHING to do with idiots with loaded guns and their finger depressing the trigger. Oh, I forgot the one discharge in the parking lot. Being my usual sarcastic-smarmy self, I walked outside and said in a sing-song voice, "I smell gunpowder."

·
Registered
764 Posts
Kinda ironic :comeandgetsome:
yup, that's what he told me. Last time they came in through the roof and stole ton's of stuff. It's at the end of a dirt road with a bout 20 different routes out of the place if you have 4wd. No one has ever been caught that has broken into the place, it's no where near a police station and by the time the cops get there they are long gone on the trails in the woods.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
yup, that's what he told me. Last time they came in through the roof and stole ton's of stuff. It's at the end of a dirt road with a bout 20 different routes out of the place if you have 4wd. No one has ever been caught that has broken into the place, it's no where near a police station and by the time the cops get there they are long gone on the trails in the woods.
Sounds like about the worst location for a gun shop I've ever seen or heard of.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We seem to be getting about a 50/50 split in answers here. Any shop owners with one of those signs in here??

I myself was assuming it was for firearms being brought in to be sold,repaired or whatever. I was hoping it was not for the CC'ers.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts