Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a series 80 that is seeing alot of shelf time. most know that I carry an ultra carry II. but I would like to carry the colt once in a while or carry both with a dual shoulder rig.(thanks AC).
The problem is the feel the 80 needs some work.
1. the slide isn't smooth on the frame.
2. the spring 'creeks' when the slide is racked back. The spring doesn't bind, but it isn't smooth.
3. the trigger is as crisp as I would like and look rather pitted.
4. want novak night sights to match the kimber.
Keep in mind, the gun works flawless so far, and I have never had a problem with it.
I am looking for a good smith that can give this colt a tune up and install some new parts.
Does anyone have a suggestion on a good smith or ideas on some fixes?

·
Registered
5,134 Posts

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
The Slide one you could do your self and so could you do the trigger replacement and springs .. As for sights if ya gotta have novaks ya gotta farm that out ..

Pm me if ya wanna know the easy stuff

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
One of our newer members here Jess Gypin could help on that. That will be stuff I believe in RR's links.

His site is being rebuilt but there are some pics up there even now for you to look at - take a peek.

http://www.ontargetcgw.com/

·
Administrator
143,964 Posts
There is no firearm more pleasurable than a smooth, properly functioning 1911 Colt pattern pistol with a nice, crisp, trigger and decent sights.
Just my opinion on that.
:yup:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Items 1,2 and 3 you can definitely do yourself for very little investment. The slide to frame fit can be done with some lapping compound. If it's really tight a slide file can be purchased for about $30.

A replacement spring can be had for about $8. Get a few mix'em up for different loadings.

A new trigger is an easy replacement. I like a Chip McCormick for about $18.

The Novak Nightsights are better professionally installed.

Personaly, I enjoy smithing my own guns as much as I can. It truly makes it your weapon.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Nothing wrong with the ultra platform, but I think you'll appreciate the full size grip when you have to have it in a hurry. 4" gives a little more horsepower than 3" and conceals just as well. The series 80 is a great choice for carry.

·
Super Moderator
22,202 Posts
Good advice so far. :hand10:

You're sure it's a 4"?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
OD beat me to it!

Ti.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i used 4 inch as a generality...I think you are both correct. it is not exactly a 4'' but mabe a 4.25??
I think after reading some of this advice, I might try to order some wilson combat parts and see what happens. If I get in over my head, I can them ship to smith, in a basket! lol

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Good luck , and the best advise i can give you is to Think Twice, File Once .

Study the part your replacing/fitting and how it works untill you understand exacly how it interacts with the other parts of the pistol . Then decide what angles and where the part needs fitted or releaved in order to function / fit .

Have a cup of coffee while you think on what you have decided , then look it over again . Only then proceed .

Also allways try to fit / releave the CHEAP PART where possible LOL .

·
Super Moderator
22,202 Posts
Doc,

Yes sir, 4.25" on Colt's, sounds like you have a Commander.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
And you have a bushing and barrel, which might be easier to get a drop in barrel if you wanted to go that route. I haven't seen alot of 4" bull barrels in Brownell either.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I use 4" as a figgure of speech. No pun intended. Kimber has a "4"" and the Combat commander is...wait a minute, let me mike mine...yep, 4.2499999987645":banana:

The point is that when you take away (about) an inch for the chamber, a three inch gun has only 2" of real rifled barrel. The 4" models are 50% more bbl length, the 5" gives twice the length. Go figgure?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts