Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a decent set of gunsmithing tools?

I'm not looking to get into the business. I'd just like to be able to fully disassemble my very few firearms without using the wrong tool for the wrong job, like a punch designed for setting finishing nails below the woods surface.

I really do not need the vast majority of the screwdriver tips shown in the link, as I already have a fine collection of well-organized screwdrivers of multiple bit types ranging in size from big honkin' huge down to small enough I need a jeweler's loop just to see which tip I'm using i.e. watchmaker size.

Some of the funky twin-prong bits might be nice, along with a good, gunsmithing collection of pin punches appropriately designed for firearms. Spring compressors?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
36,875 Posts
It seems a bit of overkill, but by the time you individually buy the tips and punches you do need, you'll probably spend more.

Reactions: Chuck R.

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
Wheeler seems to make some pretty good stuff. I’ve got one of their sight pushers and it’s well made. Yeah, that kit has stuff one can only wonder about but to OV’s point, individual buys will go north of that price. Besides, you won’t know what you need until the job is in front of you. Then, in a moment of impatience, you’ll probably use the wrong tool and make an embarrassing bungle of the screw heads on your Model 60. Buy the kit.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
It seems a bit of overkill, but by the time you individually buy the tips and punches you do need, you'll probably spend more.
I agree, but I'm looking to do the same thing because all the gunsmiths around here are booked up months out. There are some good videos for doing common jobs on YouTube, but one does need some basic tools to do that stuff.

To the OP's question, I would look up some of the how to videos on YouTube for whatever it is you want to do and get the tools they are using. In a lot of the videos, they tell you what the tool is and where they got it.

·
Super Moderator
17,045 Posts
That is a good start, I would also add a 4oz brass hammer and a set of punches both pin and roll pin types. That should take care of 90% of any home gun smith jobs.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Yes, that is a decent set of tools. It would be more than adequate for my own needs but at Amazon's price of $62.69 it looks like a worthwhile purchase to me.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I have some Wheeler stuff and it's pretty good.

Quality tools are always a good investment and when taken care off will get handed down.

I've gathered all my stuff over time, so it resides in a mechanics wheeled tool box. Best part about a kit like the OP posted is it's packaging, everything together.

As for other tools, it really depends on what guns you're playing with. IMHO everyone "should have":

Gunsmith screwdriver set, the ends are flat, not tapered, so the flat tips won't slip.
Hex and torque driver sets, about 90% of the scope mounts are using either these days.
Small-medium bench vice and a set of padded jaw covers: Good for building ARs, but also acts as your 3rd hand when working on small stuff. I use the chit out of my vise, which rotates and swivels.
Bench block. Doesn't have to be weapon specific, but drive a pin out into "somewhere" and you'll wish you had one.
3/8ths or 1/2 inch torque wrench, I have a Wheeler Fat Wrench for small stuff like scope mounts and an old Craftsman for the big stuff like AR and rifle barrel changes.
Small brass hammer, mine also has steel and nylon heads
Quality punch set, both standard and roll pin. Sooner or later get a roll pin starter set IF you're messing with a lot of roll pins.
Brass punch
Needle nose pliers (the modified ones IF you're going to work on HKs)
Needle files

Specific stuff:

I also have an AR15 builders kit that resides in a portable tool box, with some pretty specific AR tools.
Barrel vise
REM 700 bolt disassembly tools and spring compressors
Bench mounted magnifying glass with light
Leupold scope mount wrench
Trigger pull gauge
Rifle cleaning cradle
Laser Bore Sighter
Wheeller scope leveler, I'm amazed at the number of guys I have out to shoot with poorly mounted scopes
Universal Pistol sight pusher

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
One of the first things taught in a gunsmith class is how to hake a screw driver tip. Those unused tips can be converted to special tips you will need. Wheeler makes a good set. But don't think those un needed tips are a waste.
If you are thinking of taking up gun tinkering, try a basic machining class at your local community collage. They will get you used to the tools and measurements you will need to do to work in .001 inch increments. They also start by teaching how to make basic tools. Good Luck. DR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts