Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OS0VnkWCdU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I disagree with this being a accident I believe the shooter did multiple things wrong curious what you guys/girls think.
If anyone can break this down and enhance frames it looks like the first frame you see the gun after he shoots himself there are flesh tones near the trigger.

Sorry if this a duplicate

Galaxy S4 on TapaTalk

·
Registered
621 Posts
can't be sure from camera angle but looks likely his finger on the trigger or some thing got hung up on the trigger

Not a "firearm malfunction"

Reactions: Eagleks

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The holster had to catch the trigger or something. The only malfunction I can think of that would cause a legitimate "accidental" discharge would be a slam fire, and by the looks of it, he already had a round chamber and the gun didn't go off until he re-holstered it. In my opinion, never rush a reholster, and make damn sure nothing gets caught in the trigger guard. You don't need to keep your eyes down range for more threats. If you think there may be more threats, don't reholster.

Things happen, and we may ALL be come complacent at one time or another, we're only human. The time I truly fear an ND is when I'm reholstering. I'm always as carefully as I can be when doing so.

·
Super Moderator
18,887 Posts
"I really can't say much other than I am absolutely, 100% embarrassed" but then goes on for a total of 8 minutes 15 seconds.

Incident itself at 1:29.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Is seems that its always the guns fault when people shoot themselves in the leg re-holstering their weapons. I am calling Crap on this.....

·
Super Moderator
19,936 Posts
In spite of his statement that his finger was nowhere near the trigger, either a finger or something else got in the way of the trigger as he holstered.

Then after he shoots himself, he points the gun rearward (although in a generally downward direction), appearing to sweep the RSO - having lost concentration on what he was doing. That suggests to me that his safety discipline wasn't as good as he thinks it is.

Gun malfunction? Unlikely, but I'll keep an open mind. This one looks to me like pilot error.

·
Banned
401 Posts
I can't believe he actually gave a warning to "safety nazis" in the description. If I was him I'd never use that term again

·
Registered
296 Posts
In spite of his statement that his finger was nowhere near the trigger, either a finger or something else got in the way of the trigger as he holstered.

Then after he shoots himself, he points the gun rearward (although in a generally downward direction), appearing to sweep the RSO - having lost concentration on what he was doing. That suggests to me that his safety discipline wasn't as good as he thinks it is.

Gun malfunction? Unlikely, but I'll keep an open mind. This one looks to me like pilot error.
Yeah, I noticed that, too. If he didn't muzzle sweep the RSO, he came awfully close to it. How are we supposed to believe this was not an ND with this camera angle? I'm guessing he just made this video to make himself feel better.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Thought I'd point out what someone else did somewhere else. There is no such thing as "re-holstering." You holster your weapon. When you pull the gun out, you then holster it. It matters not that it was in the holster at one time. It would be like saying you are going to re-cock your revolver. You never re-cock it. You only cock it.

Reactions: perfection

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Thought I'd point out what someone else did somewhere else. There is no such thing as "re-holstering." You holster your weapon. When you pull the gun out, you then holster it. It matters not that it was in the holster at one time. It would be like saying you are going to re-cock your revolver. You never re-cock it. You only cock it.
What if you put it in the holster but didn't get it in correctly, so then you "re-holster" it? :smile:

And on the guy shooting himself, I can't say if the firearm malfunctioned or not, but I can say that his muzzle discipline after was very poor.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Can't tell what happened, from the view on the off-hand side. Could have had his finger on the trigger, though he claims he didn't. Could have gotten the gun's trigger hung up on his holster/clothing during reholstering, which he claims didn't happen. He says it was "100%" a gun malfunction. Perhaps.

Either way, a good lesson and reminder for us all. A gun is always loaded. Keep your finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target. Caution, during reholstering.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
What if you put it in the holster but didn't get it in correctly, so then you "re-holster" it? :smile:
That would be a rare occurence so the normal action would be to holster it and not the normal term to use.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I'm not sure what to think about this. I am on the forum where this was originally posted, and several people that witnessed the shooting said that the shooter had his finger off of the trigger. Either way, it may very well be his fault (poor amateur gun smithing or poor trigger control).

·
Registered
42,916 Posts
Based on your premise, Obama wasn't re-elected, only elected twice. As for me, I never "holster or re-holster" without looking. I prefer to pay attention to what I'm doing with a loaded forearm.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Based on your premise, Obama wasn't re-elected, only elected twice.
Not at all. There are some words that work differently. Have you not heard? There is no such thing as Sheeps, it is Sheep (singular and plural). It is recall. You don't call and then recall. There are lots of those that are handled differently. So, like I said, when you shoot a revolver, do you re-cock the gun? No, you cock it regardless of how many times you shoot it. When you pull your gun, after holstering it and then put it back in the holster and then pull it again are you re-pulling the gun? No, you have pulled the gun.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts