·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tidewater News | Officer accidentally shoots himself at store

Officer accidentally shoots himself at store

By Charlie Passut | Tidewater News

Published Saturday, November 28, 2009
Paramedics take Keith Rose to a waiting ambulance outside the Manhattan Fashions store in Franklin after Friday’s accidental shooting.

Photo by Charlie Passut

Paramedics take Keith Rose to a waiting ambulance outside the Manhattan Fashions store in Franklin after Friday’s accidental shooting.

FRANKLIN—Authorities are investigating the accidental, self-inflicted shooting of a police officer at a Franklin clothing store.

Franklin Police Cpl. Keith Rose, who also pastors Pine Level Baptist Church in Capron, was wounded at about 2:30 p.m. Friday at Manhattan Fashions, located at 152 Council Drive, in the shopping center adjacent to Wal-Mart.

Store owner Wong Choi said Rose had purchased a shirt and was trying it on in the fitting room at the back of the store when the gun went off.

“I heard a shot,” Choi said. “He had a gun in his pocket.”

Emergency workers used a stretcher to wheel a conscious Rose out of the store and into a waiting ambulance. He had a bandage wrapped around his left leg, just above the knee. Three city police cruisers were on the scene.

Within an hour the Nightingale air ambulance landed in a vacant lot in front of Wal-Mart to transport Rose to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, where he was reported in stable condition Friday night.

“We are working on an investigation,” police spokesman Lt. Tim Whitt said, adding that no additional details were available.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,314 Posts
“I heard a shot,” Choi said. “He had a gun in his pocket.”
Sounds like he should have invested in a pocket holster before carrying.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here we go again. lol Was just on another forum with a similar story. It got ugly.lol The gun probably just went off. lol

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I truly can not see how trying on clothes in a store would make your pocket carried gun fire had it been properly secured in a "pocket holster."

I really wonder what kind of gun it was and was it in a holster?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I truly can not see how trying on clothes in a store would make your pocket carried gun fire had it been properly secured in a "pocket holster."

I really wonder what kind of gun it was and was it in a holster?
that was kind of my point

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Darn guns, just going off by themselves all the time. We should ban those things before someone else gets hurt.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Just a guess but I'd say he probably didn't have it in a pocket holster. Not a smart thing to do, especially since he's a LEO and SHOULD know better. I know if I lived in that area, I'd be checking to see if he gets paid medical leave whiles he's out of work. If he does the city/county would get an ear full over it.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Just curious - what make/model gun did he have? Some of mine require a long heavy pull...

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Cop + ND = pocket carried Glock! :ahhhhh: Seriously though, I know some guys that pocket carry unholstered G26's and probably have trigger work to boot. They do use the trigger blocks though, and swear by them. Never seemed to be the safest option to me. I just ordered a pocket holster for my p3at. With the long heavy trigger pull it has I still don't feel comfortable with an uncovered trigger. I think some folks get too comfortable with their carry guns.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why is it always some kind of an autoloader that goes off accidently and shoots someone? I don't ever remember hearing of a DA revolver doing that.:rolleyes: Larry

·
Administrator
143,839 Posts
There is no information at all provided in this story save for the "fact" that the gun "went off" - we do not know if it was a revolver or a semi-automatic or if it was in a pocket holster or not and only the statement by the store owner that it was "in his pocket" ~
Would an average "store owner" know the difference between a "Smart Carry" and a pocket?

Last time that I checked - no guns ever just "go off."

Maybe he had the gun in a pocket holster and it just "went off" as he was taking out of his pocket holster because the gun was weighing down his pants when they were unbuttoned or unsnapped.
Maybe (whatever type of gun it was) he just bought it the day before and he had it out and he was fooling around with it in the privacy of the dressing room and NDed it.

Maybe he decided to take a few "practice draws" at the full length mirror in the dressing room FROM his pocket holster and the gun "went off" while reinserting it into his pocket holster with his finger in the trigger guard.

There is no way to really know anything at this particular point in time.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
When changing clothes, he dropped it and tried to catch it...boom!
No holster? Not smart...:nono: No excuse for this kind of accident cop or civilain.:gah:

I wonder if this cop taught CCW to that football player whose gun went off in a nightclub?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
No, but he probably taught the cop that shot himself in the leg while giving a lecture to a group kids about how he was the only one in the room with enough skill to handle a loaded Glock23..:hand5:
:boese51:

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tidewater News | Officer recovering after shooting

Officer recovering after shooting

By Nicholas Langhorne (Contact) | Tidewater News

Published Wednesday, December 2, 2009

FRANKLIN—Franklin Police Cpl. Keith Rose was recovering at home on Tuesday after accidentally shooting himself in the leg Friday afternoon while clothes shopping.

Reached at home Tuesday evening, Rose characterized the incident as a “freak accident,” but said that he wasn’t able to comment further at this time.

“He is doing fine,” Police Chief Phil Hardison said Monday afternoon. “He is back home recovering.”

Rose, who also pastors Pine Level Baptist Church in Capron, was wounded Friday at Manhattan Fashions, located at 152 Council Drive, in the shopping center adjacent to Wal-Mart.

Store owner Wong Choi said Rose, who was off duty at the time, had purchased a shirt and was trying it on in the fitting room at the back of the store when the gun went off. Rose was taken from the store on a stretcher, with a bandage wrapped around his left leg, just above the knee.

Shortly after the shooting, the Nightingale air ambulance landed in a vacant lot in front of Wal-Mart to transport Rose to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.

Hardison declined to give additional details about the incident or comment about the investigation.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check the comments under the original story. Quite funny.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts