Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer's here and it's a good time to go to the gym.

Problem is, gym clothes typically don't have pockets, or beltloops, or offer cover, etc. and they just don't do much for concealment period. I figure my 642 would be perfect if I could just find some gym shorts with a real pocket.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I don't think any concealed holster will really hold a decent sized gun during exercise. I can wear while mountian biking and such , but running and jumping are a diffrent matter.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Gym? At my age? Pah!!

I think tho if pressed I would resort to SmartCarry and my R9 as being probably manageable.

·
Registered
154 Posts
About the only thing that works is a small light pistol in a belly band. I gave up on the idea and just clip a folder inside my sweats.

·
Banned
693 Posts
I go to the gym every morning before work, and except for a knife, I don't carry a thing.

Yeah, I know some deranged communist can come barrelling through the doors with a Model 62 automatic Skorpion, but the odds are they will hold it sideways like a banger.

If I can just get within 21 feet of him, I can win with the knife, right?

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Euclidean said:
Summer's here and it's a good time to go to the gym.

Problem is, gym clothes typically don't have pockets, or beltloops, or offer cover, etc. and they just don't do much for concealment period. I figure my 642 would be perfect if I could just find some gym shorts with a real pocket.

Thoughts?
Well, it'll take the rest of my life, but.... Body by BowFlex! I hate the gym, I'd rather work out at home on the BowFlex and jump onto the 'puter as soon as I leave the shower!

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Forget the gym. If you want exercise go walking or cut some firewood, and carry while you do..... :biggrin:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Do you want to carry while at the gym or just to and from? I'd say fanny pack for the trip - doesn't look to out of place with workout wear. I would hate to depend on a drawstring and some elastic to hold a pistol up, no matter how light it is.

As far as carry at the gym - I think I'll pass. A folder in a pocket would work, but being on and off benches, bending, twisting, etc. around people who are looking at you...I can't see trying to conceal a firearm in that environment.

ExSoldier has the best idea. Work out at home (I know, not everyone has that option).

SSKC

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I have a potential solution. My "gym" is a fitness facility on the property and it's easily within walking distance, so you get a little warm up traveling there and a little cool down coming back. :biggrin:

I have found a pair of shorts by Athletic works that have the deepest pockets imaginable. The pockets are as long as the shorts' legs. I'm wearing a pair right now and I can actually lean all the way back without the grip peeking out.

I think if I safety pinned my pocket holster to the bottom of the pocket, I'd have nothing to worry about. I'll go sometime when there's no one else there in case of a "concealment malfunction".

I'm not going to be doing any Yoga or tumbling in this facility and I plan to stretch before I get there. I'll try it and see how it works.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Euclidean said:
Lol I don't think my landlord would like it if I started cutting down the landscaping! :biggrin:
Weed his flowerbeds, then. That's exercise. I know because I worked in the flowerbeds all day today..... :biggrin:

·
Registered
236 Posts
TwoRavens said:
Check out Rob's chest holster:

http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

It might do the trick under a sweatshirt/ heavy tee shirt.
TwoRavens - Thanks for the link. Not to hijack this thread, but the link led me on a fact finding mission about RBCD Performance Plus cartridges. Is anyone here using this seemingly phenominal ammunition. At 1815 fps/271 ft.lbs for a 37gr 32ACP bullet, it appears to triple the lethality of a standard .32 mousegun round, and make it a potent contender in a fight.
Check it out at www.rbcd.net ...the .45ACP is even more phenominal.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
How about the sport fanny pack with the water bottle holster? Since you can't leave your cell phone and PDA :wink: and need water to replenish yourself while getting a hard workout, it seems like a good choice. Camelbak even makes some small waist hydration packs; I'm sure you could squeeze a gun in there.

Here are some options.

·
Registered
236 Posts
TwoRavens said:
Thanks Phil, I should have just started a new thread myself. In my mind though, it was somewhat relevant to this thread in the fact that finding a load suitable for greatly increasing lethality in a .32ACP, would make packing something like a small NAA Guardian or Seecamp to the gym much more feasible without totally sacrificing sufficient firepower.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use a neoprene walkman radio holder. I used to carry the walkman am/fm cassette player. My 340sc and a speed strip are lighter. I wear it like a belly band. If anything shows, it does not raise the least bit of suspicion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts