Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks..I'm the proud owner of a brand new H&K USP .45 Standard. I'm going to the range tomorrow to run her through the paces. Does any current or prior USP.45 owners have any insights, or advice for me?

Thanks
Mad Max

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Excellent.

Not a USP owner but comparing as we often do that and the SIG's - I can be pretty certain you will be delighted.

From my POV right now - go shoot the snot out of it - get that puppy broken in :smilez:

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I love my USP 45 fullsize. The mechanical recoil reducer works VERY WELL. The mag release can take some getting used to since it's part of the trigger guard. Be sure to push DOWN with a slightly curling movement with the forefinger. Mine gave me some sore fingers for awhile. But the movement allows you to stay on target without adjusting the grip on the weapon to reload. Mine has a gunlight slung on the rails so it's now the dedicated HD gun. Looking at getting a Sig P229 SAS 40 for my new dedicated carry gun.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
shoot the heck out of it
I've had my HK 45 full size for 8 years, no problems, slide finish is still great
like Ex said, practice with the mag release a bit, after a few times you'll see its very well placed
I purchased a Hogue rubber grip for mine, it was already pretty easy to handle, but it made follow up shots dead on, even easier to handle
Some people will disagree with me and flame the ProMags, but I've bought 6 of the 12 rounders and they have performed without a flaw, to each his own

when I carry my HK concealed I use a Predator Kydex IWB holster

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
maqueswell said:
Folks..I'm the proud owner of a brand new H&K USP .45 Standard.

Thanks
Mad Max
45 standard? im guessing you mean Fullsize?

Nothing insight full to add .... just add ammo and shoot

Mines been pretty flawless since day one nothing exciting to write about

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
64zebra said:
Some people will disagree with me and flame the ProMags, but I've bought 6 of the 12 rounders and they have performed without a flaw, to each his own
i have 2 promags in 10 round for the usp and they run perfect in the Hk other guns promags are crap

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Shoot the HECK OUT OF IT!

64zebra said:
shoot the heck out of it
I've had my HK 45 full size for 8 years, no problems, slide finish is still great.
Like Ex said, practice with the mag release a bit, after a few times you'll see its very well placed.
I purchased a Hogue rubber grip for mine, it was already pretty easy to handle, but it made follow up shots dead on, even easier to handle.
Yeah, I put a Hogue "slip on"....I guess it's called a GLOCK SOCK... over my raspy grip, too.

When I first got mine it was on the advice of my best buddy, a recently retired SpecOps officer who told me that if he had to choose one gun to take to WAR straight from the box it'd be an H&K USP 45. So I decided to test those words. I took mine, straight from the box with only the factory lube and decided to shoot it until it jammed without further lubrication or cleaning. TWO THOUSAND ROUNDS LATER....I decided I had to clean the gun because I just felt awful ABUSING this fine machine. No jams....no NOTHIN'!:congrats:

Now every other gun I've ever shot, even my 1911's (but not my Glock which likes to shoot dry and dirty) needs to be relubricated after each 250 rds down range or I start to get sludge buildup that tends to cause stoppages. Not the H&K and not the Glock. But my Glock is a 40. My only 45 that rocks all day long & all night long forever is the H&K.:danceban:

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Excellent Gun

I've had a USP 45 fullsize for about 6 years, and have put about 2000 rounds through it without any failures to feed, fire or eject. It is an excellent gun, built like a tank and very reliable. The gun is pretty large, but surprisingly light in weight because of the polymer frame. I haven't tried to carry it because of its size, but use it for range and home defense.

If you are used to shooting full size steel 1911s (as I am), you will find the USP 45f to be somewhat "top heavy" by comparison, and the trigger has a different feel. At first I tended to jerk some of my shots low with the USP because of this weight distribution. But with practice and concentration on pulling the trigger straight back, I overcame this. At this point I feel that I am as accurate with the USP as with a Colt Gold Cup. The double action trigger on the USP is overly heavy, but the single action trigger pull is fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info guys, I just finished cleaning her, simple take down like the glock...excellent. Tomorrow 10am..shootin time..

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I have smaller hands so the full-sized grip is plenty big for me.

I have two Pro Mag magazines and they are worth their weight in gold!

Wait for it.........

....to do malf drills since they are so &^#%&@ unreliable mags (well at least mine are!)

I added Trijicon NS on mine....the gun recoils nice and light for a .45...not that a .45 bounces much (or me) in recoil...but recoil of a USP is even lighter than your average .45....she's also nice and accurate.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just ran 200rds through my USP45T a couple of days ago, Oh So Sweet. It's been a month since I ran through a case of anything, time for another one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used to have the USP fullsize in 9mm. I only sold it because I moved up to .40. I have the Sig 229 now in .40/.357 sig, but I wouldn't mind picking up another USP only this time in .40 or .45.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I shot my buddys h&k .45 a while back and it was amazing. That is the cadillac of pistols. The recoil was so managable it was scary. My taurus 9mm kicks harder. One of the finest pistols on the market if you ask me. Congrats on the excellent decision.:hand10:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congrats. I have the compact .45 because the full size is too big for my hands. I second the admiration for the recoil reduction system, it works very well. The best thing about an HK is predictability, if you pull the trigger, it is going to go off without a hitch. I won't use anything but the HK mags in mine, and if you watch places like CDNN you can purchase them on sale sometimes. I paid $25 each for the two extras I purchased last year. Now to find a Sig 229R DAK...:smile:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
ExSoldier said:
Yeah, I put a Hogue "slip on"....I guess it's called a GLOCK SOCK... over my raspy grip, too.

When I first got mine it was on the advice of my best buddy, a recently retired SpecOps officer who told me that if he had to choose one gun to take to WAR straight from the box it'd be an H&K USP 45.
It would have to be the M1A for me.....
However, the HK would be a nice sidearm....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts