Defensive Carry banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a headache after seeing Taylor swift with my daughter in D.C. tonight, so I took Excedrin and the caffeine gets me all jittery and wired.

I wasn't going to post a review because on my iPhone I can't properly link to my past reviews and I stupidly didn't take any pictures for proof or perspective.

I read this forum daily but have only posted a handful of times. One was to review the FNS 40 and the other to review the H&K p30.

I EDC a glock 23 and the FNS 40 is the only other gun I would consider carrying because of its dead on accuracy and flawless cycling.

In my second review I shredded the H&K p30 for just about everything from price to accuracy to trigger.

However I'm a sucker for .40 cal and striker fire guns so knowing how well liked the vp9 is, I decided to get over my hatred of the p30 and give H&K one last shot.

Let me tell you what a beauty that puppy is. Looks great, feels great in the hand, tore a hole center paper on 4 consecutive targets with an absolutely perfect trigger, fed 5 different kinds of ammo with no malfunctions, minimal recoil, and in general I would trust my life to that gun after only 250 rounds.

Possibly the best gun I own! I only buy striker fire 40s and have roughly 17, and the only 3 I would trust my life to by EDCing are the glock 23, FNS and now this, so take this review for what it's worth.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I really want one, too! I've got a VP9 and it's fantastic. Personally I love the P30S but mine has a Gray Guns trigger. Eventually I'll snag a VP40 but for now I'll have to live vicariously through the reviews of others.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
H&K's certainly on a roll. Nice to hear the VP40's a winner as well.

Now, if they could only come up with a sub-6in model that's a third less wide as their current models (~1" instead of ~1.4"), something to wipe all the other "compacts" on the market aside. (Say, in the Kahr CW9 range.) All with the to-hell-and-gone H&K reliability and functionality intact, of course. They're certainly capable of it. Imagine a single-stack line of HKsc9, HKsc40 and HKsc45 pistols.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I'd be stoked for a single stack HK 9mm, but it would probably be pretty close to a PPS. HK's strength seems to be service pistols, so I'd like to see a VP9c and/or VP9sk as their next priority. But I would drop my Beretta Nano like a hot potato if HK made a [new] gun that size.

·
Premium Member
5,863 Posts
I've been thinking about the VP40 save for one thing, the polygonal barrel. A good portion of my practice reloads are cast boolits. I may have to stick with a P99 which has button rifling. The only other recourse is to be convenced I won't get leading from a poly barrel

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
I have one .40S&W pistol and though I carry 9mm now. I would like to upgrade it to something more "COMBAT" proven like a G23. FNS40/40C or VP40. Nice review.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Thanks for the write up. As a very happy owner of a VP9 myself, I was pleasantly surprised to see a VP40 in the LGS the other day. What got my attention when handling it was the extra weight in the slide. It felt a little more top heavy and did not balance the same in the hand as the VP9. Not that this is a bad thing but it did sit somewhat differently. I actually think the added mass will work well with the 40 S&W. I would love to shoot one.

I too would like to see a compact or subcompact VP series pistol. However, I really hope a VP45 is somewhere in the works!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts