Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Tom Kampert AZOD Staff Writer

(Links provided at end)

As I’ve mentioned before, H.R.990, Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement Act, has been tied up in committee since May of last year. The Bill is much like the one recently passed that gives Law Enforcement officers, current or retired, the right to carry concealed weapons nation wide, regardless of state laws to the contrary. H.R. 990 would give that same right to law abiding citizens as well.

Getting H.R. 990 passed and signed into law is actually MORE important right now than the demise of the Assault Weapons Ban. Unfortunately, few people actually know such legislation exists. I only found out about it thanks to Congressman Trent Franks who mentioned his support in a correspondence I received from him.

Ever since learning about H.R. 990 I’ve been working to make sure that it is not allowed to become just another dormant piece of legislation that ultimately dies in committee. I’ve contacted the NRA-ILA, the L.E.A.A, members of Congress and sent letters to 13 major Police Departments here in Arizona requesting their support. But, it’s not enough.

It’s not enough because one person, who keeps “bothering” the powers that be, is only a nuisance and easily ignored. What we need is a massive campaign of letter writing and phone calls to get this legislation moving. Contact you local Police Chief and remind him that many gun owners supported H.R.218 (National Concealed Carry for Police Only) and that it’s time to return the favor. Contact your Congressman and ask him to sign on as a co-sponsor. Contact the NRA and let them know that this legislation is of extreme importance to you. Contact the Law Enforcement Alliance of America (L.E.A.A.) and remind them of their promise to support national concealed carry legislation for law abiding citizens.

If you’re reading this and don’t live in Arizona…..GREAT! Do the same in your state. After all, this legislation is about NATIONAL CARRY RIGHTS.

Have a great day…and remember, the 2nd Amendment ISN”T about hunting…..AZOD

http://www.nraila.org

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:H.R.990:
http://www.theorator.com/government/house.html

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
This is the first I heard of this.

I will write my rep after I check the status

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
This thread isfrom almost 3 years ago...

Searching on the status now.

http://congress.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d108:2:./temp/~bd3abk::

It was introduced on 2/27/2003

Latest Major Action: 5/5/2003 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h108-990
This bill was proposed in a previous session of Congress. Sessions of Congress last two years, and at the end of each session all proposed bills and resolutions that haven't passed are cleared from the books. This bill never became law.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Yeah I just found out it died in committee in Feb 2003

I didn't even look at th OP date until just now

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
Still worth writing your reps. It doesn't stand a chance with the current House leadership- but there is no reason that someone shouldn't carry the bill and let us use it against those that would kill it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
HR990 is H.R. 861 and H.R. 226 in this session of congress.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I'd prefer this bill not ever even see the light of day.

As I have said before on here, the states should handle it just as they do now. If the Federal Government ever gains control of granting us the ability to carry a gun then we are sure to loose that ability not far down the road. What the government gives, the government can take away at a moments notice.

Keep things the way they are.

·
Registered
208 Posts
State backing/involvement

I'd prefer this bill not ever even see the light of day.

As I have said before on here, the states should handle it just as they do now. If the Federal Government ever gains control of granting us the ability to carry a gun then we are sure to loose that ability not far down the road. What the government gives, the government can take away at a moments notice.

Keep things the way they are.
While it's very appealing to think about having a national carry law and all the benefits that you might hope would come from that, I am inclined to agree with Mike. We've all seen how a different political party can come to power and run rampant.

However, not being that governmentally savvy, is there anyway that we could get something like this that would simplify the disparity between all the state laws we have now, without giving up the states rights. Thus if a national law were to be repealed, we would fall back to the position we have today.

Maybe that's a political unreality/pipedream. Anyone out there knowledgeable enough to pass judgement?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I'd prefer this bill not ever even see the light of day. What the government gives, the government can take away at a moments notice.
Yup. Decentralization of that power is a good thing. The recent track record is proof, if nothing else is.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
We still dont have a national ID card or drivers licence .. take a moment and think about that . While i agree your ccw should be good nationwide i strongly feel it needs to be done as drivers licences are thro an interstate compact .

·
Super Moderator
50,575 Posts
I Agree Here...

We still dont have a national ID card or drivers licence .. take a moment and think about that . While i agree your ccw should be good nationwide i strongly feel it needs to be done as drivers licences are thro an interstate compact .
This makes sense...the same position as a driver's license...but not a national card!

ret:urla9ub:

·
Registered
246 Posts
It'd be nice, but I think I'd prefer a National reciprocity bill... Permit still issued by the states... with forced recognition nation wide via the Feds..

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
It'd be nice, but I think I'd prefer a National reciprocity bill... Permit still issued by the states... with forced recognition nation wide via the Feds..
Yep, same here. It would have to be done carefully, though, with no federal stipulations on licensing requirements, so the states would still have that power. Individual state off-limits areas would have to remain, as well. Anything less would just be regulated out of existance federally.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Why should we fight for the federal government to further regulate something in which it has no mandate to be meddling?

How can the pro-2A community argue out of one side of their mouth that the NFA of '34 and the GCA of '68 are unconstitutional and should be repealed, and then out of the other side argue for the federal government to dictate rules to the states for CCW/CFP that shouldn't even be required in the first place?

·
Registered
302 Posts
That is exactly what HR 226 is, a national reciprocity bill, not a national license.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
+1...let the states 'regulate' but let us carry EVERYWHERE without worrying about state borders and reciprocity nonsense.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have not been able to find anything other than H.R. 990. The Pell Grant Equity Act of 2007, It this the correct bill number?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.