Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else ever have a lousy day at the range?

I've had a couple, and yesterday was the most recent. I swear it was almost like I had never shot my guns before. Using my rifle and handguns, most of the shots were outside of the bulls eye. And like quicksand, the more I tried to improve, the more the bulls eye eluded me. The sights on my guns have been working fine. Using the same ammo. No changes in stance or how I sight the guns. I have no idea what the problem was. Frustrated and down to the last 50 rounds of .45, I switched to a silhouette target. However there was little solace in it, since hitting the mark on those targets is the range equivalent of hitting the broad side of a barn. I guess a lousy day at the range is bound to happen from time to time, but with no idea as to what the problem was, there's no useful insight to learn from. The only thing I can think to do is get back out to the range and try again.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I went today for the first time in a LOOOOONG time. The Glock 42 and Shield worked great. The operator sucked. I tried to destroy my target before anyone could see it. Pretty embarrassing. I'm going to make it a point to go every week from now on. At least until I can hit the broad side of a barn.

Reactions: ETXhiker and Tstone

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I've had a lousy day on a (wet, blowing) golf course. I can't recall a bad day...shooting! :confused:

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
Definitely a "First World" problem, a lousy day at the range.

I'm frequently not in a "shooting humor" myself. Sometimes it's a lack of of good practice due to range attendance too infrequent for my tastes. Sometimes it's due to "burning the candle at both ends" and the resulting of lack of sleep combined with being busy. Sometimes it's emotional stress generated by influences beyond our control. Sometimes it's the creeping onset of age which must be diligently fought just to "hold one's own" yet with ever diminishing returns. For those who are young and smug: Don't worry, age will happen to you too. Learn to make the most of it.

Shooting humors still come along on occasion. Shooting humors are achieved best by:

-Actually going to the range regularly. The more one shoots the more often shooting humors happen.

-Paying attention to practice methods and striving to make shots count rather than to just burn off ammo.

-Using good quality arms.

-Achieving repeatability through familiarizing oneself with where the guns hit on target with the chosen load(s).

-General health and muscle tone matters for best shooting humors.

-Substances and their proper limitation: caffeine or alcohol to excess can be the bane of a shooting humor.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Sometimes you just have to walk away. I always save one or two of my better targets to put up when no one is looking.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
More like a day of shooting badly. :smile:
Oh! Sure I have. At a friendly, causal shooting contest my groups looked like a skeet barrel pattern. My buddy asked what I had been drinking on the way? I said, a big Dr. Pepper. He laughed and told me to re-try after my caffeine-buzz wore off. He was...RIGHT! :biggrin2:

Reactions: Tstone and ETXhiker

·
Registered
223 Posts
Shooting skills can diminish with time, I have not gone shooting for almost 3 months, waiting for the weather to get warmer. I know I will suck the first time back. But I have been reloading all this time, 5000-6000 rounds in various calibers ready to go.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Everyone has bad days on the range where you don't perform up to your own expectations. I find that usually when I have an off day, it's because I haven't been to the range for a while. Other times, maybe the range is too crowded, maybe I didn't sleep well, or maybe that guy 30 feet away sighting in his .300 Win. Mag. is a little bit distracting. The good news is, usually if I go again the next weekend, everything will be much better.

Reactions: Tstone

·
Registered
982 Posts
Well, put it this way.. you are complaining about stinking the place up today at the range. Your feelings are understandable. What your post tells me though, is that its not familiar territory for you.. Correct?..
so most likely you usually do just fine..
I always have a bad day at the range, and I am still waiting for that day where I am unfamiliar territory as well.. For me, unfamiliar territory would be all 6 rounds actually hitting somewhere in the target... bob

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
Anyone else ever have a lousy day at the range?

I've had a couple, and yesterday was the most recent. I swear it was almost like I had never shot my guns before. Using my rifle and handguns, most of the shots were outside of the bulls eye. And like quicksand, the more I tried to improve, the more the bulls eye eluded me. The sights on my guns have been working fine. Using the same ammo. No changes in stance or how I sight the guns. I have no idea what the problem was. Frustrated and down to the last 50 rounds of .45, I switched to a silhouette target. However there was little solace in it, since hitting the mark on those targets is the range equivalent of hitting the broad side of a barn. I guess a lousy day at the range is bound to happen from time to time, but with no idea as to what the problem was, there's no useful insight to learn from. The only thing I can think to do is get back out to the range and try again.
Bad days happen for sure! I have them and feel exactly like you - wondering if I've ever shot a gun before. It's ok, it's just part of doing anything. Even the pros have bad days. Hang in there, put it behind you and look forward to the next range adventure. Your norm will come back :yup:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've had a few in my day. Usually just takes checking the basics and a dryfire session to straighten things out (unfortunately it doesn't take much to screw things up) :blink:

Reactions: Tstone

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Babe Ruth hit 714 homers.

He struck out 1300 times.

Everybody has a bad day.

Bright side? How did the guns run?

Personally, I get more ticked if one of my guns spends the session puking than if I'm a little off that day.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I've been shooting three days in a row. Two handguns and one rifle. And every day sucked! My bullets are going all over the place. My extreme spread is way too large a number for individually measured loads...
If it wasn't for the sight of new holes in the target and the smell of gunpowder I wouldn't be such a glutton for punishment :biggrin2:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts