Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday morning I had to have a blood draw at Mayo Clinic. Since this event doesn't involve a Doc's exam with stethoscope pokes around my abdomen, I generally carry concealed as I do daily.

Well, I was wearing a new Army pullover windshirt I just bought yesterday. I've got several other windshirts and they all have a short zipper on the left side from the waist up about 10" or so. This one doesn't, so I found that it's a bit harder to slip into.

When wearing a shirt like this, rather than try to slide the sleeve up, I slide my right arm out of the sleeve inside of the shirt. I then raise the shirt up to expose my right arm for the poke.

I know, long setup to the story here, but I've had literally hundreds of blood draws and that's my routine with any pullover garment.

As I struggled to do this move with this "non zipper" windshirt, I thought about simply taking the shirt off. But this would put me in an open carry situation--legal in MN, but in my mind I visualized the possibility of a sheep stampede at conservative stodgy Mayo!

Rather than continue the gyrations, I decided to take the windshirt off, putting me in OC mode. As I did that I was chatting with two fellows there after they had complimented the new shirt. Neither even moved their gaze to my waist area...I'm positive they never saw the pistol then, during, or after the blood draw.

I've had similar experiences in other settings, and am totally convinced I could be carrying an RPG launcher and nobody would notice!

This encourages me in a direction I've been considering, and that is occasional open carry. I'd first be prepared with responses I'd use depending on the type of comment folks may make if they do notice, with the thought of educating and not alienating.

Please don't start up a debate about CC vs. OC--I post this to suggest that sometimes we may need to reveal our carry status, and when we do it likely will not be the dreadful event that could be playing in our heads!

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
You would pretty much have to "play to the audience." As you suggested, the Mayo Clinic might be a place where a panic could be caused. But then again, if it's legal to OC in your state and it's not posted....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congrats on not having an "incident" and being able to deal with that in a calm manner, you never know what might happen when you break concealment ...glad that such a well known institution isn't posted, unusual these days.

A few months ago my physician unexpectedly asked for an EKG while I was in just to do some routine paperwork, so my G23 was IWB as usual...obviously I was asked to remove my shirt for the EKG. I debated whether to disarm and put the firearm under a shirt on the counter, but decided not to so I could keep control of it.

In any case, when the Nurse came back in, my Glock was blatantly sticking way up out of my pants and she either never noticed or never indicated that she did. Further, when I met with my Doctor, who I hadn't met before, a few minutes later (with my shirt on), she made a comment, during the course of the routine interview, about my weight increasing by about 2 lbs during each of the last three appointments (...BUG, then BUG and primary, then BUG, primary and ammo; my town is getting alot more 'interesting' lately) so I informed her that it was "off" by a few pounds each time and that I'd rather not explain why unless she really wanted me too. She said "Oh! Ok, don't worry about it then." I guess either she's used to all the LE and retired military in my area coming in armed, or the nurse told her and she already knew.

Anyway, great experience in my mind, glad to hear its not entirely uncommon with doctors now.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I think people are not observant. I saw a guy in blue jeans and a white knit shirt open carry into an Aldi Store recently. His wife and toddler were with him. I did not observe one person in that store that scanned his clothing or looked, stared, remarked or anything. It seemed nobody noticed while I was there.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
If I had to move about MN, in the big city, and I had to choose between an new tight army shirt with no gun, and a more comfortable 'larger' shirt with my gun...there's not, IMHO, much of a choice.

I'm just sayin'...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
This thread of course raises the ever-present "which RPG" debate. :hand5:

Seriously, most sheep just don't notice. Glad you had a good experience. Be thankful that you live in a state with that option.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
I think most people don't even see the gun, or if they do a lot of them assume your LEO, if your carrying openly. I don't antagonize the sheep, I just go about my business and let them go about theirs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
This thread of course raises the ever-present "which RPG" debate. :hand5:
Right, do you go with the smaller, less powerful RPG-7 when you're not dressed to conceal a stinger? :smile:

We won't even talk about whether you keep one in the pipe.:ahhhhh:

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Hmmm. If you are talking about Mayo in Rochester, isn't the place posted?

I know I saw no gun/weapons signs all over the place when last there a year or so ago. I am not sufficiently familiar with MN rules to know if those signs have validity as far as being enforceable--that is, getting arrested if found to be in violation.

Yes, MN is nice in that the license is good for both types of carry, but what about obeying the signs?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a CC license in Ky and open carry is perfectly legal. My concern is always the old story of a horses behind who thinks it will be "macho" to rag someone with a gun.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hmmm. If you are talking about Mayo in Rochester, isn't the place posted?

I know I saw no gun/weapons signs all over the place when last there a year or so ago. I am not sufficiently familiar with MN rules to know if those signs have validity as far as being enforceable--that is, getting arrested if found to be in violation.

Yes, MN is nice in that the license is good for both types of carry, but what about obeying the signs?
I'm curious too. I dont recall any postings, but then again it was a while ago, and I wasnt paying much attention to that sort of stuff while I was there.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
It was very clearly posted in Oct 2008

I'm curious too. I dont recall any postings, but then again it was a while ago, and I wasnt paying much attention to that sort of stuff while I was there.
Mayo Clinic Rochester was very clearly posted when I was there in Oct 2008. Again, I have no idea if those signs mean anything legally in MN since I'm not from there.

It is always a good idea to look around before you enter a facility like that because most of the time it will be posted and often it is a matter of law that it is a gun free zone as well.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mayo Clinic Rochester was very clearly posted when I was there in Oct 2008. Again, I have no idea if those signs mean anything legally in MN since I'm not from there.

It is always a good idea to look around before you enter a facility like that because most of the time it will be posted and often it is a matter of law that it is a gun free zone as well.
Mayo Clinic-Rochester was posted back in about 2003-2004 or so. Hasn't been posted for 4 years at least, I don't recall exactly even though I'm in a number of their buildings at least weekly.

You are mistaken, Hopyard, I am certain that Mayo Clinic-Rochester was not posted as recently as 2008. I live four miles from their front door and know these things....:image035:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am constantly surprised by how many people say nobody notices their OC gun. Did the entire population go blind when you strapped on your gun? If they look in your direction and your gun is in view of course they notice. Don't you? They may appear not to notice for one reason or another but they do see a gun in plain sight.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
No OC in Florida, but we go a few time a year to ride in the mountains of North Georgia staying with a friend; she is from Chicago and typical liberal; it was getting chilly, I removed my vest to put on my jacket; that's when she came out to chat.
The Glock was in full view while I was digging the jacket from the saddlebag and stayed that way for a few minutes.
The next day at breakfast, the conversation came on the rise of crime in the area and I stressed it was a good thing to be armed; the closest house from she lives is miles away.
That's when she asked me if I owned a gun. :rolleyes: :confused: :duh:
I had similar experiences in Virginia, had to OC to be in a restaurant (the law)
No, most of the sheep don't notice.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
I am constantly surprised by how many people say nobody notices their OC gun. Did the entire population go blind when you strapped on your gun? If they look in your direction and your gun is in view of course they notice. Don't you? They may appear not to notice for one reason or another but they do see a gun in plain sight.
Sadly, most of the flock goes about blissfully ignorant of what passes in front of their eyes.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Hmm, don't think so,

Mayo Clinic-Rochester was posted back in about 2003-2004 or so. Hasn't been posted for 4 years at least, I don't recall exactly even though I'm in a number of their buildings at least weekly.

You are mistaken, Hopyard, I am certain that Mayo Clinic-Rochester was not posted as recently as 2008. I live four miles from their front door and know these things....:image035:
Hmmm. I know what my eyes saw Oct. 20008. Maybe it isn't the legally required signage, don't know.

Can't explain the difference in personal observation. Another example of why eyewitness testimony is always iffy. Here we have two presumably honest people posting two different versions of reality. One of us is wrong. We need a third observer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts