Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many here...I carry daily on the job. However, today I had to go through a security clearance area at a new client facility today. There was no gun buster sign at the door, but I needed to sign a few things as I entered and got my temp security pass. One part of the agreement was no weapons (knives, firearms, knuckles...etc). I signed and then excused myself saying I had forgot something in my rig. I chose to remove my 642 and crkt minimalist. There was no metal detector and surely could have remained armed...but chose to comply. First time i chose to disarm for the job. It felt strange. What would you have done?

·
Registered
327 Posts
It happens to me all the time. I often need to go into auto plants and suppliers work bays where safety is a huge (liability) issue for them. In several places I even need to remove my watch and wedding ring. Cost of doing business.

Nothing to see here; move along.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would have done the same thing. I think the only other choice would have been to refuse to sign. If you sign something declaring that you are not armed... you should not be armed.

I leave my 642 in the car every day at work. My boss isn't anti-guns or anything, but with the work I do, a holstered gun would get in the way a lot, so I don't wear it... for convenience (and safety) sake.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I thought maybe you had to go to the Post Office.

·
Registered
44,702 Posts
If you need to work, you comply. You can't make me, you can't make me doesn't always work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unfortunately this is a daily occurrence for me. Not as fortunate as you to have a job where carry is allowed, so mine has to stay in my vehicle during the day. Not thrilled about it in the least, but would rather not get fired either.

On the good side, my truck is parked only about 30 feet from my office, I can see it out of my door, and I also have access to the security cameras so I have a VERY good eye on it all day.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would've done the same. You signed which means you agree to comply. Not to mention that if you were somehow caught this might cause a huge issue between your work and the new client, which means a huge issue between you and your work and you and the new client. Unless it was a factory that made killer robots or a pirate training facility, I think you'd have a hard time convincing either of them that you had a really good reason to go armed. You made the right choice.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I would have done the same and feel that you made the right decision. It's just part of what we signed on for with our LTC...abiding by not only the laws that govern our LTC, but respecting businesses who prefer we not carry on their premises. That's just one of the many things that makes us the good guys.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I consider myself a "90-percenter." In other words, I carry approximately 90% of the time. My work frequently requires me to travel, and some of those places I travel are either Federal facilities that require a physical check (no cell phones, even), or in states where my CCP isn't recognized. I don't fight or ignore the law. On my turf however, I'm 100% carrying.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Yep had to go in to the post office yesterday. Almost forgot to strip down.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Don't feel bad. I have a gun buster sign on my office building. My lease expires June 30th. Bye Bye....:wave:

Reactions: Libertywheel

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Turns out there was some seriously flammable material in the facility. lighting a cigarette, much less the discharge of a firearm, could have resulted in a colossal event. Probably a good policy...but no knives or nunchucks? Seems a bit over the top.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Unfortunately I'd be arrested the second I set foot in my work with a firearm (on international airport premises). Everything in your pockets goes through an x-ray machine coming in and leaving.

Reactions: Bad Bob and drift

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Turns out there was some seriously flammable material in the facility. lighting a cigarette, much less the discharge of a firearm, could have resulted in a colossal event. Probably a good policy...but no knives or nunchucks? Seems a bit over the top.
One of the few instances in which a no-gun policy is defensible.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
It's just part of what we signed on for with our LTC...abiding by not only the laws that govern our LTC, but respecting businesses who prefer we not carry on their premises.
I don't recall signing anything to that effect...

·
Premium Member
39,005 Posts
I don't recall signing anything to that effect...
Nope, the only thing I signed on to was obeying forum rules. Try as I might to get that simple mission accomplished, sometimes it's tough...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts