Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Me, of course!
Awwwww...bless your little pointy heart brother. You didn't lose all that hair from getting hit in the face with innuendos. They just zip right over your head and remove some hair as they go.

Reactions: OneGunTX and OldVet

·
Registered
36,294 Posts
Awwwww...bless your little pointy heart brother. You didn't lose all that hair from getting hit in the face with innuendos. They just zip right over your head and remove some hair as they go.

View attachment 336315
It ain't easy being me.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Thought I would share this episode with you all - briefly.

I was alone in my study at the church one day when a character came in looking for "gas and grocery money." We often had people do that, but something just didn't feel right and the guy kept looking around in a very disturbing way. We didn't ever hand out cash or keep any on hand, but had chits for groceries and gas that could not be exchanged for cash at those stores. He gruffly said he didn't need any of that.

I happened to have my EMS radio sitting on the desk, and I just picked it up and called dispatch and asked for a deputy to drive by. (Small town and we were all on one dispatch frequency.) He made a b-line for the door, as did I when he got outside. There in our parking lot was an almost brand new Caddy with three other men in it. Just as he started to leave, the deputy drove up and they took off.

Moral of the story. 1) Always, always have a really nasty looking gun close by. I flunked that test. 2) Never, ever keep cash around or promise to hand any cash out to anyone. 3) Always have a means of communication close at hand. 4) Accept that you will make a few people angry because they need cash for a fix, or a drink or whatever and you didn't oblige them.

Sad that you have to be that way, but people are not always on the up and up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Motorcycles get like 50 miles per gallon. Doesn't really seem likely to me that he was telling the full truth. Happening at 11:30 PM only heightens the senses. I'll put it this way: If I'm riding a bike at 11:30 PM at night and low on fuel, it's highly unlikely I'm going to cruise into a complete stranger's barn and ask for gas to get home. And not having a wallet or cash? That's even more sketchy.

In this day and age, just watching the violence that happens around this country every day, it's flat-out scary how quickly a situation can escalate to life-threatening. I think you handled things okay but it's little telling how close you were to getting attacked or killed.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
My guess is the biker didn’t see you until after he turned around to sneak into the barn, and came up with a BS excuse.

It sounds like you may have second guessed your instincts. Your gut feeling made you draw and be ready. But your rational social brain made you hesitant to trust your instincts, so you compromised and offered a dollar to end the flimsy story, which opened you to risk.

It was a great learning experience. Next time you can trust your instincts more and be more assertive. “I can’t help you, so you need to leave. Now.”

Might also consider speed dial on your cell phone. Put it on speaker, and get someone in the house up to grab backup firepower.
This ^

I dont think it was ever about gas.

If I can offer any advice it would be to:

1. keep your distance
2. do not be distracted by commentary, gestures or questions. ( be brief)
3. no reason to be nasty but make your point, say your piece and break contact.
4. ask them to leave
5. communicate with others via phone at the onset of odd situations involving strangers

This guy may have just been a nice guy who needed some help.. its possible. My impression is that he was bsing you and he was calculating the entire time. Ultimately he decided to leave and nothing bad happened. As far as who was in control, I would say that you were an obstacle but one who was dancing to his tune. I dont think he ever wanted the dollar or gas. I think it simply offered more info about you, more time for him to think about what was on his mind and was a plausible excuse for coming up there. The only excuse more common than needing gas is when they are looking for "jimmys house".

I always keep my closest 3 relatives on my "recent call" screen. They all live within 300 yards and will respond rather quickly to strangers being on the property.

I will leave the whole fumbling with a gun and a wallet ... alone. You already know that was not very impressive.

As far as the gun is concerned. I dont think it mattered one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I have been in similar circumstances and the answer on the street is always a firm NO!

• Can I borrow a dollar? NO!
  • Do you have time to help me out? NO
  • Can I get a light? NO
You were right to draw your weapon and keep it hidden. Don’t kid yourself...he knew you were armed and was probing for a weakness.

Just my $0.02!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think you handled it splendidly; it's easy for us to say what we "would've done" or what you "should've done", but under those circumstances with all that must've been racing through your mind, I believe you handled things very well.
Agreed.

P.S. One reason I switched my pocket carry from an LCP to a snub-nosed revolver is that it looks more like what a gun is supposed to look like.:)
Back when I OC'd a lot more than I do now, including the dumb habit of being in places with a lower degree of safety, I encountered more than one movement towards me that was halted by the mover when they spied my carry piece.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I keep a few dollars and a quarter in a bulldog clip in my left pocket for the same reasons. Flip or toss the clip as a distraction if need be. 'Fumble' the 'bankroll', again to distract. The metal clip and quarter give it enough weight to toss easily and accurately. Cheap way to get out of a situation, if the need arises.
When I am traveling out of the country, I carry a "throw away wallet" with a few bills in it and nothing else. Passport, DL, and credit cards are carried elsewhere on my person.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
but officer all i did, as i misjudge distances and was running low on fuel, was stop, since i just saw someone pull in a few minutes ago ahead of me, was ask if they had a gas can available and give be a couple gallons, which i would of given the $10 bucks for their gas & time and been on my way.

but he got agitated and then produced a handgun and threatened me with it...and made me stay here till you arrived!

that kinda he said they said where now the shysters have to get involved?
This man is trespassing on my property at midnight, I asked him to leave and he refused and threatened me so for my safety I drew my gun, I want him arrested.

Both parties can exaggerate, who do you think the cop is gonna believe, the home owner or the guy that's trespassing at midnight?

·
Premium Member
34,157 Posts
I have been in similar circumstances and the answer on the street is always a firm NO!

• Can I borrow a dollar? NO!
  • Do you have time to help me out? NO
  • Can I get a light? NO
You were right to draw your weapon and keep it hidden. Don’t kid yourself...he knew you were armed and was probing for a weakness.

Just my $0.02!
I do have a light, in the form of a thousand luman flashlight, which also can double as a kubaton. It is always in my hand when I'm outside in the dark.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Motorcycles get like 50 miles per gallon. Doesn't really seem likely to me that he was telling the full truth. Happening at 11:30 PM only heightens the senses. I'll put it this way: If I'm riding a bike at 11:30 PM at night and low on fuel, it's highly unlikely I'm going to cruise into a complete stranger's barn and ask for gas to get home. And not having a wallet or cash? That's even more sketchy.
Back in my perhaps misspent youth I rode a chopper style motorcycle. The gas tank was small and I had no fuel gauge or reserve setting on the fuel shutoff valve. So I did occasionally run out of gas. Which was a bit of a predicament in those days before cell phones existed. And yet I never would have even considered going up a long driveway in a rural area at night for help. I would have expected a hostile reaction if I did that.

The chances that your visitor had bad intentions are high. I don't live in as remote an area as what you describe but if I went outside at night to investigate why someone was in my driveway I'd certainly be armed and ready.

I don't see where you did anything wrong.

·
Banned
62 Posts
This man is trespassing on my property at midnight, I asked him to leave and he refused and threatened me so for my safety I drew my gun, I want him arrested.

Both parties can exaggerate, who do you think the cop is gonna believe, the home owner or the guy that's trespassing at midnight?
as we are speaking in hyperbole...

the grunge cyclist produces his LESO badge...

sorry you did ask who the responding officer is going to believe...didn’t ya!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Some jurisdictions, and their PC DA's, might be willing to give you trouble. But on your own property I doubt it.
I also live in a rural area on 80 acres with the closest neighbors 200 yards away on one side, my drive way is 200 yards long, and I told the wife the other day if there was a "Mob" coming down the road, and I had notice & time, my first thought would be to get the 1100 and shoot a few clays from my trap. Not in their direction mind you but where they definitely would see it.
Then keep the 870's loaded with buck & slug with maybe the AR & Mini-14 leaning against the house.
I occasionally throw clays in the pasture for practice anyway and am always out back at my range.

·
Registered
36,294 Posts
as we are speaking in hyperbole...

the grunge cyclist produces his LESO badge...

sorry you did ask who the responding officer is going to believe...didn’t ya!
And the responding officer is just as likely to tell the other he should know better than to enter private property late at night and refuse to leave.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Been in similar situations. I have difficultly figuring out whether to be nice or not....and that depends on the visitor. I decided I need different levels of protection/force options.

Distance / Cover
Give warning
Baseball bat
Phone in hand recording, calling, maybe text your buddy. Video cameras. Lights. Gates. Etc.
Pepper spray
Knife
Firearm

I would also consider something better than a pistol.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I can come across extremely rude to strangers that start closing in on my personal space. I speak very loudly and commanding. If this doesn’t work and they continue advancing, we are going to go hands on or whatever the situation dictates. This has happened a few times with homeless individuals at gas stations with me. Most of the time they listen. I’ve had some guys trying to “sell” me stuff tell me I was “mean or rude” lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everybody,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Last week I was involved in an incident, and I would be interested in your perspective as to what I could have done better or worse. Specifically, I'd like to know if I was guilty of brandishing.

I live in a rural area, with only a single neighbor within eyesight. I have a barn where we park our cars, which is 100 yards from the house.

Last week I was out late and arrived home at 11:30 PM. I pulled into the barn and shortly after I had parked I heard a motorcycle speed by, and then quickly slow down as it passed my barn. I immediately stopped to listen, and I heard the bike idling a short distance away. I looked out the barn door and saw the driver turning his bike around and slowly start driving back towards me.

I instantly decided that this was a code orange situation. I had an LCP II in my pocket and pulled it out as I did not want to have to make a quick draw from a pocket holster.

The biker approached and drove up my gravel drive to within 8 feet of me while I stood in the doorway of the barn. I had my right arm straight down with my LCP II just behind my right leg.

The conversation went like this:

Biker: I need some directions

Me: Where to

Biker: Pauses, looks past me into the barn and asks “Do you have any gas in there” ?

Me: No (a lie)

Biker: I’m low on gas and I could really use a little.

Me: I don’t have any gas, but there is a station a few miles down the road

Biker: Yeah, well, I don’t have my wallet.

Me: I don’t have any gas

At that point the biker turned off the engine and I instantly made the decision that if he tried to get off the bike I was going to draw on him. He sat there and the conversation resumed

Biker: You see, I don’t need much gas, just a dollars worth would get me home.

Me: I don’t have any gas, but I probably have a dollar if you want to go to the station.

Biker: that would help.

Up to this point I had been thinking very clearly, and felt like I was in control, but I now realized that I had to get my wallet out and fumble with it to get out a dollar bill. I had not considered that when I said I had a dollar. I got my wallet out with my left hand, and raised my right hand, holding the LCP II in plain sight to steady the wallet while I got out a dollar. At this point I didn’t mind showing that I was armed.

I put my wallet back with my left hand, then reached out with my left to give him the dollar while holding the LCP II in my right hand.

I feel certain that he saw the LCP II, but he did not acknowledge it. He was silent for a few seconds then continued:

Biker: OK, well it looks like I should be going

Me: I think that would be a good idea.

He stared at me again for about 10 seconds, then started his bike and drove off.

I locked up the barn, went inside the house, got my full size M&P 9 and sat on the front porch for a while to make sure he didn’t come back, which he didn’t.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You pretty much did what you had to do! Got little too close! Other than that always call the cops afterwards and report the situation! Cuz what if he came back and messes with you! You would have evidence left for the cops as a report was filed! Glad you’re safe although! Carry a .44 magnum will crap them away from you as fast as they see the big hole at the end of your revolver! Smiles!

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Hi Everybody,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Last week I was involved in an incident, and I would be interested in your perspective as to what I could have done better or worse. Specifically, I'd like to know if I was guilty of brandishing.

I live in a rural area, with only a single neighbor within eyesight. I have a barn where we park our cars, which is 100 yards from the house.

Last week I was out late and arrived home at 11:30 PM. I pulled into the barn and shortly after I had parked I heard a motorcycle speed by, and then quickly slow down as it passed my barn. I immediately stopped to listen, and I heard the bike idling a short distance away. I looked out the barn door and saw the driver turning his bike around and slowly start driving back towards me.

I instantly decided that this was a code orange situation. I had an LCP II in my pocket and pulled it out as I did not want to have to make a quick draw from a pocket holster.

The biker approached and drove up my gravel drive to within 8 feet of me while I stood in the doorway of the barn. I had my right arm straight down with my LCP II just behind my right leg.

The conversation went like this:

Biker: I need some directions

Me: Where to

Biker: Pauses, looks past me into the barn and asks “Do you have any gas in there” ?

Me: No (a lie)

Biker: I’m low on gas and I could really use a little.

Me: I don’t have any gas, but there is a station a few miles down the road

Biker: Yeah, well, I don’t have my wallet.

Me: I don’t have any gas

At that point the biker turned off the engine and I instantly made the decision that if he tried to get off the bike I was going to draw on him. He sat there and the conversation resumed

Biker: You see, I don’t need much gas, just a dollars worth would get me home.

Me: I don’t have any gas, but I probably have a dollar if you want to go to the station.

Biker: that would help.

Up to this point I had been thinking very clearly, and felt like I was in control, but I now realized that I had to get my wallet out and fumble with it to get out a dollar bill. I had not considered that when I said I had a dollar. I got my wallet out with my left hand, and raised my right hand, holding the LCP II in plain sight to steady the wallet while I got out a dollar. At this point I didn’t mind showing that I was armed.

I put my wallet back with my left hand, then reached out with my left to give him the dollar while holding the LCP II in my right hand.

I feel certain that he saw the LCP II, but he did not acknowledge it. He was silent for a few seconds then continued:

Biker: OK, well it looks like I should be going

Me: I think that would be a good idea.

He stared at me again for about 10 seconds, then started his bike and drove off.

I locked up the barn, went inside the house, got my full size M&P 9 and sat on the front porch for a while to make sure he didn’t come back, which he didn’t.
First off you’re ALIVE and unharmed so you did it right. You’re probably not guilty of brandishing because you weren’t pointing at him in a threatening manner. You’re within your rights to have it in plain sight on your own property. You went to Condition Orange at the right time and for the right reasons. I don’t think you could have done anything better EXCEPT to carry a 9mm or bigger. I keep my Sig P365 9mm in my pocket with 12+1 and a 15 rd spare magazine in my off side pocket. That brings me a lot of comfort over a .380.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts