Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Sig P238 the other day and am trying to decide on how to carry it. I've primarily carried striker fired guns in OWB holsters and lately I've been pocket carrying the P238 in a Desantis Nemisis cocked and locked. Is there a down side to carry it chambered with the hammer down? Either carry method requires an extra step after the gun's drawn, but I don't know the advantages/disadvantages?

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
My P938 never went into a holster without being c&l.

Reactions: oldman45

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a P238 - cocked and locked all the time.

It's a little unnerving at first, but I think you get used to it.

Maybe try it with nothing in the chamber for a week or two.

The downside of carrying with the hammer down is
1) in theory it could get pull up and then dropped (I think) which could fire it
2) and it's definitely slow to pull, pull the hammer back and fire. Try it a few dozen times so see how that works.

I practiced with my P238, empty chamber, with a timer. That added about 1/4 of a second to my draw and fire time - pull, rack slide, fire.

I'd rather do gross motions (rack slide) than fine motions (thumb back the hammer).

my advice is worth what you pay for it

Another idea - with nothing in the chamber (triple check please) carry it around, pocket, holster, in your hand, around your house. Keep your trigger finger straight every time you touch the gun. When it's habit, and you never break it, you'll know you won't pull the trigger unless you have to.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
The sig 238 does not have a hair trigger so it's still relatively safe even if the safety is unintentionally disengaged.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Cocked and locked. The idea of lowing the hammer on a live round gives me goosebumps!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I never got comfortable on my 1911 having the hammer back. Its got safeties, but still didn't feel right. I like lever actions for that reason hunting though, you can leave it in half cock and when your drawing the rifle up to aim you can pull it back the rest of the way.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
To my mind there are two reasonable ways to carry a SAO semi-auto pistol.

Condition 1 (cocked and locked) - This is what I do, it's how the pistol was designed to be carried. The P238 has a heavy trigger in addition to the safety. I carried mine unloaded for a couple of weeks and even wrestling with young kids the safety never turned off.

Condition 3 (uncocked, empty chamber, full mag) - I think this is the most straightforward carry besides condition 1. You aren't hunting for a hammer to cock, you rack the slide and go. Mossad assassins used to carry their Beretta Model 70s in condition 3 and then rack the slide before they killed someone. This works if you train extensively to it. I see myself standing and watching tv at night practicing pulling and racking the slide. It's clumsier, but will work if you train. But it's not how the gun is designed to be carried.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Cocked and locked, or leave it home.

Since the P238 doesn't have a de-cocker, trying to lower the hammer with a round in the chamber is just stupid, you will have a negligent discharge, probably sooner than later.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Carry it the way that works best for you, not the way that other people tell you you SHOULD do it.
Doing things in a way that works best for others instead of for you can only lead to trouble.

I understand the time lost having to cock on the draw, but trying to avoid needing that 1/5 second should be just as much, if not more, of a priority.
Do anything you can (within reason) to not be in a situation where that 1/5 second is the difference between life and death (i.e. don't be the drivers I see every day who are foot-to-the-wood until they are 5 feet from the stop sign. See your world as more than whats happening two feet in front of you).

Yes, even the most situationally aware people can be surprised, but if the incident is that much of a shock...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The pistol is designed to be carried cocked and locked. The pistol is NOT designed to have the hammer lowered on a loaded chamber. If you decide to carry the pistol in a manner not intended by it's designer, and in doing so you decide to lower the hammer onto the firing pin in a manner not intended by it's designer, then you need to ask yourself if you are actually doing things in a safe and responsible manner.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
The pistol is designed to be carried cocked and locked. The pistol is NOT designed to have the hammer lowered on a loaded chamber....
I have never owned a hammer-style pistol. For my own education, how do you "de-cock" a cocked and locked pistol when you go to clear it, if it doesn't have a decocker?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts