Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read a lot about how 1911s can give you a "hammer pinch" in the webbing of your thumb, and index finger. How common is this? Is there any way I can prevent this without a beavertail safety? Does anyone here shoot a 1911 w/o a beavertail safety?

·
Super Moderator
18,094 Posts
I have big hands and I get it.

Two of my Government Models have the beavertail.
No problems there. One I just recently aquired was a stock model. I took it out to shoot it and got "bit".After a few mags fulls,Ill had raw spot right between the thumb and trigger finger in the web of my hand.

You can only tell by trying it. It dosent look like it would hapen to me, but it does. Your hands might be small enough that you dont need one.

In any case, before you spend the money for a beavertail, shoot the gun first.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I get it on one of my guns without beavertail But not the other go figure.

To Fix it you can ever bob the hammer spur or Get a Kings drop in wide Duck butt as some call it

im Surprised my RIA doesnt do it to me byt my colt does

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
I think there is such a thing as an extended grip safety - not a beavertail type - that has a longer tail so the web of the hand can't get into the pinch area.

You might try King's, they may have it. If not, and this is more trouble, cost, and time, but you could have a competent gunsmith weld or silver solder enough of an extention on the tail to keep you hand out of harm's way.

I get the bite myself, not only does it hurt, it makes me anticipate.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Greg - pinch is an odd thing - and seems very individual.

I have big hands and yet shoot my Sistemas, P12-45 (when it works!) or BHP and never suffer any bite. Obviously it is dependent on one's grip characteristics.

I doubt I need a larger beavertail on any 1911 I have ever shot. I am lucky I guess!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
P95Carry said:
I have big hands and yet shoot my Sistemas... ...never suffer any bite. Obviously it is dependent on one's grip characteristics.
I have somewhat small hands and a scar on the web of my hand from my Sistema :biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts