Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an interesting topic....When I was buying my S&W 642, I was told by the "guy behind the counter", be glad you decided to buy the hammerless model because the prosecutor would have a field day with you if you bought the one with the hammer and ever had to use it.
--His argument/belief is that if the prosecutor could prove you cocked the hammer to fire the first shot, then you have enough time to evade the situation, and shouldn't have used the firearm at all. ALSO, if you had the time to cock the hammer and aim at the 'victim' then, it was also premeditated and you were looking for a chance to use the firearm and not other options.
I would like to hear others thoughts on this, and although my decision was not influenced by this discussion, I wonder how accurate this information might be, I think some of it may make some sense, as I have heard worse arguments from the bleeding heart lib, tree huggin', gun grabbin' lawyers.

I wrote this under carry gun becuase it is about a certain type of gun. If the moderators see fit to move it, I totally understand.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to a good discussion.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Most hammered revo's are SA/DA so why would you cock the hammer in a gunfight? I think he has watched to much TV, cause you always see that on TV where they have time to cock the hammer then shoot.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The shop that i visit the most often is owned by an elderly gentleman who learned to shoot on a revolver. His opinion on revo shooting is similar to that of a 1911 carried cond. 1. If his pistol comes out of the holster, he pulls the hammer back while drawing, because the SA pull is much easier to control then the DA.

Not sure about the legalities and if the prosecuter could get a conviction based on you cocking the hammer, then again, how would he know...

--Jim

·
Registered
814 Posts
I don't even know where to begin to point out the flaws in his thinking. Was he even thinking before engaging his mouth? I'd have to ask him for some kind of documentation of his ASSertions. Gotta wonder how many people he has influenced into buying something they didn't want with comments like those.:frown:

·
Registered
737 Posts
He's read too much of Ayoob's writing and is incapable of understanding the (dubious) logic behind it. A good shoot is a good shoot, whether you use a Desert Eagle or a .38. Will a shady lawyer go to insane extremes to discredit even the most justified shoot in order to make a quick buck? Certainly. That's why you need a shark lawyer of your own to shut the huckster down. JMO, YMMV.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Much like the other thread suggesting "shoot until it's empty," I've got to say this one's BS too. If it's a had to shoot, fear for your life situation, I honestly don't think it'd matter if you were using an uber-tactical tricked out shotgun (provided it's a legal config) or a freakin' flintlock.

I carry a 642 myself, though with this colder weather I've been carrying my K-frame M66 (with evil hammer!). I chose the Centennial over an SA/DA M37 or M60 for the price and ability to pocket carry w/o snagging.

These self appointed gun gurus never cease to amaze me.
Jack

·
Banned
305 Posts
I wish I had a dollar for every gun-shop expert who filled his customer's heads with myth and misinformation. Behind the counter or in front of it, these blowhards should be dismissed for the Walter Mittys that they are.

There are good reasons not to own a revolver with an external hammer -- primarily if you use a snubby as a pocket gun, or want the simplicity of DAO, or worry about snags when drawing. None of the reasons involves this silliness about someone "proving" that you cocked the hammer in the nanosecond before firing.

I suppose every man who's ever taken a human life with a Colt SAA "could have avoided" the situation...? Nonsense.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Lots of so called "experts" who will tell ya all kinds of stuff. A good shoot , is a good shoot in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
It would still IMO boil down to the same thing in the end ......... can you say - ''I was in fear for my life'' - and if so and you took all measures possible to negate the threat, I see no reason to have issue taken with a single action first shot potential - any more than what we discussed elsewhere - on the ''legalities'' of a head shot - it is all irrelevant if you had to shoot.

For sure anyone who knows other than squat about defensive shooting - they will know that DA on a revo is all that counts. Only exception just might be the better chance for an aimed shot from cover with SA pull. Even so most of us will I am admit to using a slower DA pull as all but SA on release anyways - ''taking up the slack''.

Bottom line if you HAD to shoot and can prove it - it should not matter about semantics - threat control is everything by whatever means available.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
We have a gunshop in my area that have a couple of those kinda behind the counter guys also.Just to make the point, one of them is a CCW Fla.state instructor and he tells his students that if they decide to carry a Glock they should carry it with the chamber empty. He will gladly tell the customers in the shop that is the way that he carries his Glock. If I made the decission to carry a pocket revo I would definately pick a hammerless weapon, but just for ease of the draw. When someone comes out with one of their gunshop philosophy's I feel it is due to their expected believeability that the counter instills in them. I take it as that and walk away shakeing my head.--------

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
RSSZ said:
We have a gunshop in my area that have a couple of those kinda behind the counter guys also.Just to make the point, one of them is a CCW Fla.state instructor and he tells his students that if they decide to carry a Glock they should carry it with the chamber empty. He will gladly tell the customers in the shop that is the way that he carries his Glock.
IMHO, he's just roadkill waiting to happen. Really makes me wonder what the State requirements ARE to become an instructor .... I thought it was bad enough that my class instructor went over the rules of safe gun handling and completely omitted "Treat every gun as if it's loaded." Excuse me, isn't that rule #1?!!! Where's Darwin when we need him? :rolleyes:
Jack

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
That guy is full of BS a good shoot is a good shoot some people are to far out there that one is even to weird for a ayoob deal... only reason i could see a hammered wheelie giving ya problems is hammer snags on you pocket on way out

·
Administrator
143,819 Posts
The Question Is

How would anybody PROVE that your first shot was fired with the hammer Cocked as VS Double Action unless the incident happened to be caught on video????:confused:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
How would anybody PROVE that your first shot was fired with the hammer Cocked
That QK is so darned obvious - I overlooked it!!. Indeed - how in heck would even a witness make that fact tenable.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup

I agree with most of the posts here. I didn't argue with him, as you know where that usually leads. Ignorance is bliss. :argue:
BUT after leaving the shop and riding home, I was laughing and discussing the different scenarios with my brother, who heard the whole thing, and this is what we decided.
1.The desk is not an authority maker
2. If he had such extensive knowledge, why is he working there, need to see the place.
3. Maybe the story changes with inventory!!
4. Some scum bag laywer could in fact make that case to people that know nothing about guns.

SO.....who might make up that jury?.... that you pulled the firearm, took aim, pulled the hammer and fired. cognitively knowing what you were doing. and not just reacting to defend.
Kind of devil advocate....so lets hear it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Don't listen to gun counter snobs. It is similar to the 1911 issue. Anyway, protect yourself and worry about lawyers later.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
If you are threatened, and you pull the hammer back, who cares.
rule two is never point a gun at something you are not willing to destroy. If you point it at the BG then you are willing to shoot to stop the attack. If you practice with a single action revolver and cary a double action , in a case of attack you will probably shoot it single action(pull the hammer back then pull the trigger) because we usually revert to our training.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
In defense of the gun counter guys--we have another shop in my local area that is just the opposite(especially one guy that works there). When someone walks in to inquire about the purchase of a new or used weapon he will ask some very important questions. Who is the weapon for? How much will it be shot? What will it be used for? How much do you want to spend? Pistol or revo?(and if they don't know the difference he will calmly and respectfully explain the difference to them) How expierenced are you with pistols/rifles/shotguns,etc.? This behind the counter guy will never try to influence the buyer,he will help them make a decission on what weapon will be best for their needs. If they insist on a 14" T/C for CC, I'm sure that he'd gladly sell them one. Selling guns is his job.---------

1 - 20 of 43 Posts