Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you carry hand cuffs with you daily? I am really asking the non LEO people out there. I can think of a few situations that they may be used. And before anyone starts, I am not trying to be or impersonate a LEO. All of your replies are appreciated! Thank you...

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I carry them at work in a prison. They is no fun in applying them to someone that doesn't want to be cuffed. You really are in a position a lot to lose control of the situation if you are alone. I wouldn't even consider it not knowing if help was coming like now on the street.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Do any of you carry hand cuffs with you daily? I am really asking the non LEO people out there. I can think of a few situations that they may be used.
Are you serious??? I can't think of one situation where I'd be authorized to use handcuffs. I am not a LEO. Carrying a concealed weapon makes me no different than any other private citizen. The ONLY time I'm permitted ( in SC) to draw and possibly fire my weapon is if "I believe I am in imminent danger of losing my life or sustaining grave bodily injury." I may not draw and fire to protect property. I may not draw and fire to protect others, except for the "third party" defense which can get you into severe legal trouble real quick. I have NO authority to detain anyone. If the guy refuses to be handcuffed, what'cha gonna do? Shoot him? If he runs away - in the back? Now you're up for Murder 2.

I am not trying to be or impersonate a LEO.
Yes, you are. The minute you talk about restraining someone at gunpoint and handcuffing them, you're taking on the duties of a LEO.

Carrying a gun does NOT make you ANY TYPE of LEO or any other official police body. You wanna handcuff people? Join a force.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
The only thing I would have handcuffs for is to secure my gun to the seat post in my vehicle while I had to leave it,other than that they stay in the bedroom where they belong

·
Registered
749 Posts
Jp4240 I mean no offence to you, but when I read your question, I had a flashback to an old Mayberry RFD episode. Where Goober is running behind Barney yelling “CITIZENS ARREST…CITIZENS ARREST CITIZENS ARREST!!!!!” It made me LOL.
I can see where the thought of carrying handcuffs might seem like a good idea. I have used them in the past both in corrections and EMS, Supertac45 is correct it’s not fun. Trying to cuff someone is dangerous. Even when you are trained to properly apply them, you open yourself up to a physical confrontation. Also you can cause harm to a person’s wrist / hands during application. This could open you up for liability.
I have no intent of taking anyone into custody or detaining them so I have no reason to carry them.

·
Registered
371 Posts
maybe a good item to have in your bedroom but wouldnt
carry handcuffs around. Would take up limited room anyway
you could carry a extra mag, flashlight, knife, or pepper spray
instead

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
never have and never would.
there is never a situation that I would need them in. I will never arest someone. If I was in fear of my life I would shoot to stop the threat. doing a citacens arest is a can of worms that I never feel the need to open.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Unless I was giving someone a gift of handcuffs I wouldn't have them on me. Its a can of worms, best leave them at home or in the store.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
In a word, HELL NO! Oh, wait that's two words... :embarassed:

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
As a security guard who's has been certified to carry handcuffs in the past I don't carry them with me while not working. I may own them, but I prefer not to carry them while I'm not working all the same.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
I am not trying to be or impersonate a LEO.
Yes, you are. The minute you talk about restraining someone at gunpoint and handcuffing them, you're taking on the duties of a LEO.

Carrying a gun does NOT make you ANY TYPE of LEO or any other official police body. You wanna handcuff people? Join a force.
Yesterday i was reading a magazine article about gear associated with CCW. One page shows a picture of someone's night-stand and it has Cuffs, among other things on it. The caption reads "dont sacrifice what you carry during your day, you will never know what you will need." So to reiterate my first post....Im not trying to be a LEO. Maybe i worded it wrong, but my feeling are the same as all of yours...

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I simply can't imagine any realistic scenario where I'd need a pair of handcuffs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yesterday i was reading a magazine article about gear associated with CCW. One page shows a picture of someone's night-stand and it has Cuffs, among other things on it. The caption reads "dont sacrifice what you carry during your day, you will never know what you will need." So to reiterate my first post....Im not trying to be a LEO. Maybe i worded it wrong, but my feeling are the same as all of yours...
Was there also one of those CWP badges in the picture? :hand5:

Seriously, as others have stated it is a bad idea and may be illegal in some states. Trust me, putting handcuffs on a person who does not want to be handcuffed only looks easy in the movies.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Carrying cuffs for me would be the same as carrying a membership to ACORN. Since I have no intention of using either, they are both useless...

:)

·
Registered
635 Posts
I can't think of one reason why I would want to be so close to a bad guy. If I pull it I use it and the cuffs will not be needed.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Come on guys, this may not be what we think! Remember; "Seek first to understand, and then to be understood".

Ok jp4240, even though I wouldn’t want to carry cuffs for all kinds of good reasons, I feel that I do understand your logic. The reality is that you would gravely compromise yourself and others if you had to draw down on someone and ultimately didn’t have to finalize the step by pulling the trigger. Simply let the BG flee the scene or do what you must to preserve your life.
Regards,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The assumption that is being made is that i am asking because i want to carry cuffs. I was only asking because i thought it was not a good idea also. I just simply wondered if anyone out there did carry them and what there justification was. I do not intend on ever carrying any cuffs, i agree that it is a bad idea. It was just weird that a reputable magazine put out a article with that as advise.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Come on guys, this may not be what we think! Remember; "Seek first to understand, and then to be understood".

Ok jp4240, even though I wouldn’t want to carry cuffs for all kinds of good reasons, I feel that I do understand your logic. The reality is that you would gravely compromise yourself and others if you had to draw down on someone and ultimately didn’t have to finalize the step by pulling the trigger. Simply let the BG flee the scene or do what you must to preserve your life.
Regards,
+1 - - - ... Lighten up on him... He stated he wasn't trying to be an LEO, and was just wondering... Ya never know what people may feel they need to carry,..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts