Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that storing a hand gun in foam lined case (like the one my Glock came in) will cause it to rust. Has anyone here found that to be true? How would you recomend storing a hand gun?

·
Super Moderator
18,842 Posts
I can only offer that I stow mine in zippered bank deposit bags. A few large ones get pistol cases or the factory boxes/wooden boxes they came with (in the case of some Smith & Wessons). They all wear their coats of RIG and no issues have arisen over the many years they've been kept in this fashion.

It's said that one is better off not to place them inside any sort of bag or case so that air circulation may be had. I continue to maintain mine in the above fashion though as they would be crammed too tightly together without having the protection offered by the bags and cases. Gouges, bruises, rub marks, and scratches are no more attractive than wretched rust. Regular inspection is conducted but really, no issues arise once the guns are wiped with RIG, no matter how long they are stored.

Long term storage where no regular inspection will occur is another matter. I'd still use the RIG but would probably get the guns out of the bags, figuring out some way to make sure they don't jostle each other.

I've been using this stuff since a knowledgeable gun nut turned me on to it in the late 1970s. Rust has been banished ever since.
RIG® UNIVERSAL GUN GREASE | Brownells

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
never had any problems with foam lined before. all of my hunting rifles and shotguns are in foam lined cases. just make sure you properly clean the firearm before storing it and you'll be good.

·
Super Moderator
18,842 Posts
Moisture, whether directly introduced or arising from condensation, is your enemy. Some harsh chemicals such as acids along with salts is the number two enemy, right in behind moisture ... or working in conjunction with moisture to make a real train wreck out of your costly firearms. Stainless steel is not impervious either.

·
Super Moderator
19,908 Posts
Foam can be a silent enemy in a humid environment, trapping moisture. I like Bryan's idea of bank deposit bags, as they're not close-fitting and they're far from airtight.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Rather than moisture there is another issue. Storing a well lubricated firearm in a foam filled case will cause the foam to turn into something like melted rubber after long and repeated storage. Again, I am talking about long, long term storage. If however you have a controlled climate (think central heat and air) where you store your firearms, you should have no issues what so ever. If you don't see rust on household fixtures, metal door components, appliance handles, metal lamps etc. you should be fine. If you keep you stuff in a safe invest in some form of dehydration components. especially if your safe is in the garage. Most fire rated safes are NOT airtight. the door seal lacks about 1/16" or larger gap so the door seal will swell under heat to protect the contents yet facilitate ease of daily operation.

The bank deposit bag mentioned above is a darn good choice for general household storage.

·
Registered
42,343 Posts
I left all my guns stored in foam-lined cases for nearly 15 years, with no storage precautions other than a light rubbing with Outers gun oil. After that time in the closet, not one had a speck of rust.

Store a gun in foam that's gotten damp? You bet it can rust. But the foam isn't the issue there. If it were, I doubt manufacturers would ship them out in a potentially corrosive packing. In fact, the foam in my Sig case seems impregnated with oil of some sort.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
There are two widely used foam being used in cases. 1) is the open-cell polyurethane. This type of foam can wick and hold moisture. 2) is the closed-cell polyethylene that does not.

I use the later but still place silica desiccant paks in the case. They make both disposable and rechargeable paks. Whether long-term or short-term storage, I don't want to trap moisture in the case since I use Pelican cases and those are water-proof and mostly air-tight.

GeorgiaCarry

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The bank bag idea is a great idea. Not for storage but to protect guns a a range bag, they don't take up anywhere need the space that the gun bags I had been using yet still provide enough protection for this purpose.

·
Banned
1,035 Posts
I have heard that storing a hand gun in foam lined case (like the one my Glock came in) will cause it to rust. Has anyone here found that to be true? How would you recomend storing a hand gun?
Foam isn't going to harm you gun. Sure, if you're looking at long-term storage with foam then you may want to look at closed-cell foam as opposed to open-cell foam, but for daily use foam isn't an issue.

What is causing the rust is condensation along the foam making contact with the metal gun, not the foam itself. It has more to do with your local environment than anything else. If you're going to, say, foam-pack a gun for long-term display, then pick a dry to actually pack it. For daily storage, a Silica Gel bag (found in millions of products, including prescription medication bottles) to absorb ambient moisture.

A dab of CLP on your finger and put a thin coat of it on your gun before storing it will also help.

·
Super Moderator
18,842 Posts
Zippered bank bag storage.

Reactions: Sister and Diddle

·
Registered
907 Posts
Now if only I could afford that many guns...:smile:

My Blackhawk has spent the last 40 years in a case with cut foam. It also has many silica packs scattered around the case.(Obviously none touching the gun) I haven't seen a speck of rust in all those years.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
20,126 Posts
If you live in a very high humidity area, the open foam can wick any condensation and hold it like a sponge. Closed foam is safe for storage. A cheap gun sock can help for long term storage. Check them every few months and lightly oil them.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,842 Posts
There's a lot less tied up in the guns, acquired since the early/mid 1970s, than bass boats, 4WDs, RVs, horses, motorcycles, or lots of other interests that could be mentioned.

Especially horses.

·
Super Moderator
18,842 Posts
Just inquire at the teller window of your friendly small-town bank. They're usually glad to pass out a few.

Or alternately, a career in banking can be helpful. Having a wife who is also so employed is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Foam can pull the oil away from your gun and also absorb moisture from the air and hold it against it.

But, I have all of these foam style plastic cases for each of my guns.

Solution?

Wax paper. I cut a piece of wax paper for each case that will lay under the gun completely covering the foam and close with the lid to completely cover the other side. Clean and lube your gun and put it in the wax paper lined case. It keeps the lube from getting wicked away from your gun and keeps moisture from getting against it.

Problem solved, and it's cheap. My old lady never missed it from the kitchen.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
I wax the handguns I don't shoot. The Smithsonian and Royal British museums use Renaissance Wax to protect their historic firearms, so I do too. I've only been the curator of my colection for about twenty years, and I've only used the Renaissance Wax for a couple of years, but it seems to work as good as RIG. There are a significant number of dead relatives looking over my shoulder, and I'm sure Uncle Eldred, at least, would start haunting me if I did something wrong... Makes 'em real shiny too! Even so, I do a complete inspection once a year.

I've heard some people have used heavy auto grease for long term storage with good results as a cheaper alternative, and I once unpacked a vacuume sealed, 30 y/o, Chinese AK47 that was slathered in some kind of thick fish oil that smelled like the waste shoot at a tuna cannery. Seriously, my partner was dry heaving about ten seconds after we cut the plastic, and we carried it outside like it was HASMAT (it was). There wasn't a freckle on the rifle. It could have just come off a lathe (or a stamp press, or whatever).

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I have and do keep guns in about everything, mostly in safes. Right now I am building more shelving in one safe so I can stack more handguns in it. Never had a problem with leaving a handgun in a gun rug for long periods of time. Moisture is a major issue with guns. Keep them dry and rust is not a problem.

However, always wipe your guns down really well with a lubricant on a rag. I use Rusty's Rags. The stuff is great. Fingerprints contain more than DNA. They contain moisture from your hands and that causes problems down the road. Wipe your guns down and keep them dry in a climate controlled area.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts