Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow, who would have thought that would get hot enough to start a fire. Makes sense when you think about it, but geez...

"OCONOMOWOC, Wis. (WMTV) - An Oconomowoc fire department is warning people about the dangers of leaving hand sanitizer in their vehicles on a hot day.

In a Facebook post showing a burned-out car door, the Western Lakes Fire District explains most hand sanitizers are alcohol-based, making them flammable."

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/?article=570662641&fbclid=IwAR2qEcT-TzHOGXCivOld4-Z7-6BXWiR5vBbtXWBHmZG0gZ_kJkkCNRVNeIU

edited to add: there's a picture of the burnt out car in the link.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
When we lived in the mountains of NC we used a large economy size to start our wood stove which was our primary heat in the winter. A couple squirts a few pieces of kindling was all it took to restart a fire in the wood stove in the morning. It is much safer than lighter fluid and will not flare up like other flammables. We also saved dryer lint for re-starting fires it also works very well as a fire starter!

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
33,868 Posts
Mmmmmmm. I'm leaning toward electrical failure and poor vehicle design. If you ever really look at the electrical wiring and components in vehicles, it's usually pretty crappy. Three of the last four cars I've owned have had recalls for potential electrical fires. Sunlight would make the container pop the cap and the alcohol to boil off.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Mmmmmmm. I'm leaning toward electrical failure and poor vehicle design. If you ever really look at the electrical wiring and components in vehicles, it's usually pretty crappy. Sunlight would make the container pop the cap and the alcohol to boil off.
So that bottle of bourbon in your cup holder is nothing to worry about...

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Modern auto glass is much better than vintage. Car interiors still get hot but there must be a missing element to the story.

I’ve had hand sanitizer in my vehicle for nearly 20 years without issue.

·
Registered
33,868 Posts

·
Registered
33,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts
Hand sanitizer is supposed to be at least 65% alcohol. I found the following chart:

I was involved in an experiment concerning propane fuel canisters (for nail guns) exploding in automobiles. We learned the interior temperature of the automobile could get up to 140 degrees (with an outside temperature of 80+) and the propane canister would blow apart. If there is ANY spark inside the vehicle, the resulting flash will surely be a remarkable fireball.

If the internal temp of the automobile rose high enough, there could certainly have been a spark inside the car door causing the damage shown in the photo.

I guess the upshot would be it could be dangerous to leave your hand sanitizer exposed to sunlight, in your automobile, at any temperature above approx 75 degrees F.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sorry, but I had to laugh when I read the thread title.

Just so ironic but, see what happens when you listen to those experts like Dr. Deborah Birx. Again, it's all Trumps fault. :tired:

I remember many years ago during an auto air conditioning seminar about a van that received alot of damage when one of those small R12 or maybe R134 (not sure) cans was left on a dash board in the summer and blew up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts