Defensive Carry banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
When we lived in the mountains of NC we used a large economy size to start our wood stove which was our primary heat in the winter. A couple squirts a few pieces of kindling was all it took to restart a fire in the wood stove in the morning. It is much safer than lighter fluid and will not flare up like other flammables. We also saved dryer lint for re-starting fires it also works very well as a fire starter!
Great tips for the fire pit this summer. I'm going to try this.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
My 2.5 oz bottle is in a shaded area of the vehicle so hopefully it'll be safe. It would be interesting to see how auto insurance would look at this. I guess it would be a good idea to "crack" a window but then that would make it easier for someone to break into the car.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don’t buy it. Don’t stop at the liquor store unless you’re going straight home with the AC blowing and hope you live through it. And this is happening in Wisconsin where it gets so ungodly hot in May?
It would also need a source of ignition (unless I missed it, I only scanned the info).

I can be convinced, but I'm at this point a bit skeptical.

Reactions: KILTED COWBOY

·
Super Moderator
19,238 Posts
Ethanol is a major constituent in hand sanitizer.

I recently had to do a "fluids susceptibility" test on an aircraft component (2 HP electrical fan) with denatured alcohol. We had significant safety issues to navigate because its flash point is right at room temperature. Our Health & Safety people were all over us on this due to electrical equipment in the test cell, but we found a clever way around it.

Not sure how the other ingredients in hand sanitizer affect the flashpoint, but with summer temps upon us here in the desert SW, I'd be careful with that stuff!

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
I think the Fire Department goofed on this one. Hand sanitizer didnt just come out. People have been using it and keeping it in their vehicles for years. The photo they posted was one they got off the internet, and the origin looks more likely to be from the speaker than anything in the door storage compartment. The NFPA link they posted on their facebook page about vehicle fires does not mention hand sanitizer at any point.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
My vehicle should have erupted in flames years ago.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
33,980 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Been keeping it in my car forever in the Texas heat.
What was the ignition source? I can see it popping the bottle open. But with the car turned off not much of a source for a spark in the cabin.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I am sure hand sanitizer will burn givens its alcohol content, but I seriously doubt it will spontaneously ignite at the temperatures found in closed vehicles in the southwest in the summer. If it did, we would be having these types of incidents on a frequent basis.

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
After hearing your arguments, I tend to agree with you all that this is unlikely to happen. Hand sanitizer is flammable but probably won't spontaneously combust.

Carry on...

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Let's think about this from a chemical reaction perspective. 1) in order to have an oxidation / combustion reaction, the hand sanitizer has to be exposed to oxygen. If the container is closed, there will not be enough oxygen to sustain an oxidation reaction. 2) There needs to be a source of flame/spark, etc. Merely being hot is not enough to create an oxidation reaction.

I don't by the spontaneous combustion of hand sanitizer in a hot car theory. There has to be something else. I live in Houston where its hot and muggy. I have hand sanitizer in my truck all the time. I have not had any vehicle fires.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts