Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the lame question, but its been forever since I was in the military, and my memory sucks. So I have 2 9mm handguns. My question is about cleaning them. I have a can of CLP, an old toothbrush, some old towels and tshirts, and a cheap-o cleaning kit from walmart.

So cleaning the grip assembly and the slide I just spray a little clp, use the toothbrush, then wipe with the towels/tshirt (maybe a qtip to get in the crevices). What Im wondering about is cleaning the bore. Do I spray with clp and then use the brass brush? or patches? Im assuming the polishing brush is for after its good and clean. Ive also seen nylon brushes instead of brass brushes, are those better? And lastly, Ive seen those bore snakes which look pretty handy. Would using one take the place of the brass/nylon brush, patches and polishing brush?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I like the brass brush for the bore. Then I use old pieces of T-Shirt to dry it out then lube.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I stopped using anything but a bore brush to clean the bore years ago.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Fore the bore I use a dedicated cleaner. I really like Hoppes Elite or Otis O12 Ar/MSR cleaner. I use a cleaner soaked bronze brush, but I'll be switching to nylon because the cleaners dissolve the copper of the brushes. About 10 passes through the bore do the trick. Then I let it sit for about 15 minutes before using a bore snake. Finally, Ill spray a little CLP down the barrel and use the bore snake one more time.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
I been using RAMRODZ and mpro ...So far I am happy though for heavier cleaning more work will be needed ..I am lazy and tend to just use blue shop towlels for basic cleaning

What you have sounds darn good also

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
I use a nylon bore brush if it's really dirty. Otherwise just a jag and cloth patch. I use Ballistol to clean and lube.
I use a bore snake for a quick clean if it's not dirty enough to field strip.

Reactions: slayer61

·
Premium Member
8,121 Posts
We have different standards of what clean is. Not just Gramps and me - "we" being the members here.

We have a .22 bore snake. Gramps uses it for his rifle. I think it is totally worthless. I've tried it a couple times for my .22 LCR and it does NOT get all the residue out. Not by a long shot.

For almost all of my own guns I use Frog Lube to clean and lube: The paste kind that you need to use a hair dryer to heat the parts before you paint the paste on. Normally Frog Lube on a nylon brush does a very good job on the bore. Very rarely do I need to get radical and use Hoppe's and a brass bore brush. But it's there if needed.

Gramps has a SIG that needs oil (the kind that cleans and lubes), and "we" also have a crummy .22 conversion kit for my G19 that absolutely requires oil. Everything else gets Frog Lubed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
CLP, Hoppes #9 and patches, lots of patches and q-tips. The bore gets a shot of dedicated bore cleaner (whatever is available at the time) and several (~10) passes with the bore snake.

·
Registered
233 Posts
We have different standards of what clean is. Not just Gramps and me - "we" being the members here.

We have a .22 bore snake. Gramps uses it for his rifle. I think it is totally worthless. I've tried it a couple times for my .22 LCR and it does NOT get all the residue out. Not by a long shot.

For almost all of my own guns I use Frog Lube to clean and lube: The paste kind that you need to use a hair dryer to heat the parts before you paint the paste on. Normally Frog Lube on a nylon brush does a very good job on the bore. Very rarely do I need to get radical and use Hoppe's and a brass bore brush. But it's there if needed.

Gramps has a SIG that needs oil (the kind that cleans and lubes), and "we" also have a crummy .22 conversion kit for my G19 that absolutely requires oil. Everything else gets Frog Lubed.
I've been using FrogLube on our competition 9mm 1911s for probably two years (30-40K rounds each). With our very soft loads there is a good deal of soot strewn about, but things clean up very easily and using coated bullets I run one patch with a dab of FL cleaner through the bore followed by a clean patch, this after 300-400 rounds. We have a DW CBOB and with that I'm following the manufacturer's directions. Honestly, everything I've tried "works", but FL is just less messy.

·
Banned
747 Posts
You'll get 1000 different answers, and I'll just add a few things.

A bore snake, will absolutely positively clean any service pistol barrel sufficiently (assuming you are shooting jacketed and not lead ammo)

You live in Omaha, the great white north. People in northern climates should use a synthetic lube that will work in the cold. It would suck to find yourself outdoors all day and then find out that your gun is a glued together single shot or zero shot because you used the wrong lube.

I blast everything clean with an aerosol can of Remoil. I only use it as a cleaner, and for that, it works great. Then I lube with TW25B grease usually, which stays put and will still lubricate a gun perfectly a year or two later if I never touch it.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
This video always summed it up for me. Less is more in my opinion.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, in regards to a bore snake, do you spray your barrel full of CLP before running the snake thru it? Or just run it thru dry a few times and call it good?

Ok, even a sillier question: If I were to spay clp in the barrel, then run a brass or nylon brush thru it, can I push it thru and pull it back thru? or is it best to go 1 way only? I thought I saw somewhere where you werent supposed to pull it back thru.

Then there are jags vs.. well the eyelet piece. This is for cleaning the CLP out of the barrel after using the bronze brush?

I dont shoot my guns that much (not as much as id like - I need to find a friend with a plot of land in the woods or something) so I dont clean them that often. I just want to make sure Im not doing something terribly wrong that will cause it to totally jam if I ever need it in a tense situation.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I typically caution people to err on the side of caution and not damage your barrel or crown with overly aggressive cleaning instruments.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Frog Lube, a bore brush, and misc. rags.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I sometimes use a boresnake. First I put solvent down the barrel and let it sit while I clean other part.Then I run a rag down the barrel till rags come clean. I may reapply solvent to patch and run that down barrel. AFTER that I finish with the boresnake. Then I put just a drop on the barrel and rub it around with my finger. I wipe off the excess. That's it for the barrel.

Glocks are easy. Heat, Frog solvent then Frog lube and thoroughly wipe off. They need almost nothing. 911, different story. They need more TLC but not as much as many think although Frog lube is not enough. They need some grease on the rails.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts