Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine from a job I had to take out of necessity, lives in a bad part of town. He needs a gun to defend his family.

He doesn't make a lot of money, has a wife and daughter. He's set a price limit of $200.

I was looking at Hi-points, but he also brought up .22lr guns as well.

I'm kind of out of my league on advising about all the options here. Without any snide remarks about getting a better job or other nonsense, can anyone help me to help him? He is a good guy working in the textile industry. He just doesn't have a higher degree to help him get a better job and with a wife and kid now, he's kind of locked in to what he knows.

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
200 bucks ? Max ?

Could you chip in a little ..I mean you get to 300 or so you get a lot of options used Glocks ,sigs even

At 200 max you are getting right at hi point ,ghetto blasters rang

I mean maybe a TP9 was close

I would look on GB I have seen LEO model 10 and the like for right around 250-300 bucks

If 200 max is the limit ..Either a cheep surplus gun a P64 or P83 or maybe a MAK or HI point ..If you can find a MAK for around 250-300 that is what I would do .I would take a bulgrian Mak over any of the ghetto blasters

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Tell you what I will PM you a shop on GB that does pretty cheep NR auctions for LEO guns I have seen some Sig 230 on there for 250 or so with shipping ..I would def take that over a hi poin

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Now that I have though about it

The two guns I would say would be either a ruge p89 or 94 or a SDVE S&W ..Both of them well built and if you dont mind a beter should be right at 200

Reactions: gasmitty

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that I have though about it

The two guns I would say would be either a ruge p89 or 94 or a SDVE S&W ..Both of them well built and if you dont mind a beter should be right at 200
You need to clear some mailbox space, hehe. I can't send anything else to you.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
How's he going to buy ammo? How's he going to carry it? He has a wife and kid, bad part of town. If he 'needs' a cheap gun or they won't be safe, he's already in trouble.

Why not a shotgun for home defense. On the outside, just stay out of trouble. Buy a box of shells. Teach wife and daughter how to use it. Get a 'youth shotgun', 20 ga. About $200 or even less.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Question WRR, do these come with rails? I'm going to advise him to get a decent flashlight so he can ID that bump in the night.

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Question WRR, do these come with rails? I'm going to advise him to get a decent flashlight so he can ID that bump in the night.
Yep the SDV and the later 94 ruger should have rails on them

But again please remember the coast of training ,ammo ,holster ,safe etc ..Never mind a good gun light is at min 100-200

Def have a gun safe if he has kids ..

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
I mean firg 40 bucks at min for a decent holster that wont fail , 50-100 bucks for a flashlight more if a good rail one , what 12 -20 bucks a pop for ammo and that is just for plinking fmj , 50-100 bucks for a half way ok safe ,, plus if he wants to carry it however much a ccw + training cost in that state ..Never mind cleaning , mags etc fir another 50 bucks or ..

Its not the gun thats pricy its the stuff with it

Reactions: Pijo73

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep the SDV and the later 94 ruger should have rails on them

But again please remember the coast of training ,ammo ,holster ,safe etc ..Never mind a good gun light is at min 100-200

Def have a gun safe if he has kids ..
A lock box that will keep his daughter out (she's maybe a toddler by now) is cheap. I got one for the car for $30.

Ammo, yeah, that's going to be a bit, but I think he may be able to do this a bit at a time.

As for training, I can pass on what I know and warn him of the legalities of shooting. Wisconsin has the castle doctrine, so inside the home, he should be ok, as long as he doesn't shoot anyone in retreat. I don't think he's going to need a holster, but I'll talk to him about that. Self-defense is an ongoing investment. I don't expect him to buy everything at once.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A Ruger P95 may be worth consideration by your friend. There are plenty of used ones on the market that can be had at/near that price point.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
200 bucks is not a lot of wiggle room but i understand the position your friend is in and the need. I too would look for a ruger p95 or a smith and wesson sw9ve or similar . New they are 350 bucks and can be had used for a good price. if he has no absolute ability but to spend 200 bucks, a highpoint is better than a handful of rocks. I would advocate for one , but i can personally say they are capable of running well. My GF's dad has a c9 and it has a couple hundred rounds through it with no issues, but others have not had such good luck. I personally think the mags are the weak point. If all he wants it for is home defense. i would probablt recommend he look for a shotgun. I would try and find a stevens ( made by savage) 320 in 20 ga. They are 200 bucks or less new.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Even with better qualifications it's still tough to get a good paying job. I really feel his pain. After about a dozen operations I can't work anymore. I've been fighting with social security for almost 3 years so a little different but the same. I need a little more info, hand gun, long gun, shot gun? For home defence I would suggest a shoot gun. Eather 12 or 20 gauge. You can find Mosburg's going for just about $200 at sporting good stores (Dicks etc.) I would definitely lean toward used better quality weapons before buying a cheep quality new. Same with hand guns. Brands like Jimenez, (just an example not ment to call out any brand) that don't have the best rep can do more harm than good. The last thing you want is to have to call on your weapon to save you or yours and have it fail. Also it would help if there was a little more info on your friend. Experience level, is he comfortable with subcompact autos? Kel-Tec makes some small, inexpensive, reliable, accurate weapons. I bought my PF9 for $279 brand new. Prices vary per location. I am in Virginia so might be more, might be less I don't know. The down side is if he has little experience they can be tough for some people to shoot. Wheel guns tend to be easer to shoot and maintain. The problem is the seem to be more expensive for some reason. The best general suggestion I can make would be to check out all avenues for used weapons. LGS, pawn shops if there any in your area. Also get a knife, fixed blade for home and a folder for carrying. Not the best idea to bring a knife to a gun fight. But in close quarters it can be more effective than a gun. I hope any of this was helpful. Like I said I know what it's like I am there myself. Good luck to you and your friend. Don't know if I can help but feel free to pm me and I will try. I hope things get better for him and stay safe

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
He might be better off looking for a used Rossi or Taurus or similar-name revolver. I've seen these selling for $150-250 in the past on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica, or similar websites. If the guy is that financially strapped, you might not be doing him a favor by getting him into some cheap POS autoloader that will cost him $200 in ammo just to get it going. With a wheel gun, he can pretty much just put a single cylinders' worth of rounds downrange and be good to go. DA revolvers are a good starter gun for those who may not have a lot of small arms experience. Holsters are usually plentiful. Besides that, used wheelguns with a little bluing wear are nice to look at.

FYI - here is a Taurus 84 for $239 on Gunsamerica
taurus84.jpg

And here is a Rossi 68 (.38 spcl) for $225
rossi68.jpg

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
The Taurus PT111 G2 can be found for about $200. TCPs and LCPs are around $200 dollars now. RIA M200 and M206 revolvers are only a few dollars over $200 if you look around.
Palmetto Gun and Kentucky Gun have them for $199 and $209 respectively.

I have hundreds of rounds of half a dozen different brands of ammo thru my wife's Taurus PT111 G2 without a single issue. It is more reliable than my Glock 26.

The PT111 G2 is an incredible gun for the money. You will not find a better value in a new gun.

And for the record I'd be careful with Gunbroker. For some reason, guns tend to sell for top dollar there. In fact, I've been thinking I need to list a few to thin the herd...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Bersa pistols can be found in that price range. I have an old M85 that the magazine is worth more than the pistol :icon_neutral:

1 - 20 of 103 Posts