Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my parents house in NY yesterday for x-mas and we were looking at handgunlaws.us reciprocity chart. If you look at florida it says it honors a vermont resident permit, but there are no permits issued in VT so how could this be? typo maybe? no big deal I'm just curious, I was looking for other states to apply for so I could carry in more states. I already have a PA, NH and am working on UT.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
It's not an error per se, since Florida does list Vermont on the DOACS web site. However, they also list this caveat:

(2) The State of VERMONT is unique in that it does not issue weapon/firearms licenses. Florida licensees - indeed, licensed or unlicensed citizens from any state - may carry in Vermont. This presents a problem for reciprocity with Florida. Florida law provides that an out-of-state resident must have in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm. Since Vermont residents have no such license, the right to concealed carry cannot be extended to them under Florida law.
Gotta love that, huh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL...can't we all (states) just get along?

Thx for the info chooie

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
Alaska had the same problem for years, so it decided to issue permits to its residents, in case they ever needed to carry outside of the state. it's up to you guys from VT to get on your legislators to do the same.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sounds like VT has the perfect system.
Asking them to administer and issue permits has more pitfalls than advantages.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's great exept for the fact that no other states honor VT because there is nothing to honor. Also you only have to be 16 to buy a handgun and carry it concealed, thats kind of scary :smile:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Not if they want to visit Florida, having a paper permit makes them legal and erases troubles from reading here.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Why would anyone from Vermont want to go to Florida?

lol...:hand5:

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Alaska had the same problem for years, so it decided to issue permits to its residents, in case they ever needed to carry outside of the state. it's up to you guys from VT to get on your legislators to do the same.

^^^^^thats what they should do^^^^^^

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956) :rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I disagree

it's up to you guys from VT to get on your legislators to do the same.
I disagree. I think it is up to all of us to get on our national legislators to allow everyone to carry without a permit as long as you can legally own a gun. Or at least accept national reciprocity.

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
I disagree. I think it is up to all of us to get on our national legislators to allow everyone to carry without a permit as long as you can legally own a gun. Or at least accept national reciprocity.
#1 - it'll never happen.

#2 - i think national carry is a terrible idea, after giving it some thought. if the federal government can regulate carrying, they can regulate it into being illegal. would you risk that?

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I found several 'wrong' items in handgunlaws on our state, but that is because they changed the laws and it changed things quite a bit. They were just "out of date". I sent them an email about it, they emailed back, and within 2 days they had it all updated.

They cannot keep track of every state law, so they rely on all of us to keep them up to date if we see something not quite right. They do a good job on updating and/or changing anything pointed out that has changed, wrong, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Knowing the law is our responsibility and that to me means getting the information from the source. On line web sites try to make gathering that information easier however, I wouldn't risk the chance that I might violate the law by relying on them! That includes what "someone" says on DC too. :wink:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ I have a PA and NH permit so I can visit florida, I was just curious about why florida honors a VT permit when there is no permit to honor.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have a PA and NH permit so I can visit florida
You're mistaken. See below.

Wouldn't a non-resident Utah permit work for someone living in VT and visiting Florida(and a bunch of other states)?
Nope. The only non-resident license that Florida recognizes is their own.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea your right thanks, don't need to visit florida anyway I was just curious

·
Registered
944 Posts
Adkjoe, is correct. I have listed VT as a state that FL honors and FL does not honor a VT Permit because they don't issue permits. I have made the correction on the FL page and have sent it to Steve to post. It may be a couple days as he is away for the Christmas Holidays. Thanks for pointing out the error.

VT does not have the perfect system if everyone else would follow them. But with the system 48 other states have it doesn't work well for the residents of VT. Alaska allows anyone who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without any type of permit. But they also issue permits to their residents so they can carry in other states with it. Under the system the other 48 states have Alaska has the best system as of today.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Thumper,

Do be aware that On The Arkansas State Police site which is the official website for the State of Arkansas that supplies info on their gun laws and whose permits they honor and lists who they have reciprocity with.

A few years back they had Massachusetts listed as a state that they had reciprocity with. It took me 4 months to get them to remove it. In fact to get them to remove it I called the Colonel of the Massachusetts State Police and talked directly to him. I ask him to call the Colonel for the Arkansas State Police as he would not listen to me. He did call AR because the AR Colonel called me and tried to give me hell on the phone. I figured Mass called someone over the Colonels head in AR and got him in hot water.

The same thing happened late last year on the Official North Dakota Reciprocity website run by the ND AG. They listed Massachusetts as a state they had reciprocity with. It only took one phone call and less than 2 hours to get them to remove MA from their official list. Anyone can make a error so double checking and even triple checking when it comes to firearms laws is not to many.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
VT does not have the perfect system if everyone else would follow them. But with the system 48 other states have it doesn't work well for the residents of VT. Alaska allows anyone who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without any type of permit. But they also issue permits to their residents so they can carry in other states with it. Under the system the other 48 states have Alaska has the best system as of today.
VT has the perfect system if we stay in the state :smile: I have permits in other states though so for the most part I'm covered for the majority of places I travel to exept NY.

Thanks for updating the site Gary, much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts