Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I'm new to carrying. I know there are lots of of options for guns and holsters and it's all opinion. With that said, I'm carrying a SW3913 in a remora holster currently. I like the holster and gun however the grip of the gun is rubbing me raw on my side unless I wear an undershirt.

Any advice on how to help resolve this. I like the idea of combat cut holsters vs full coverage of the handle. I also don't want to wear an undershirt under a t shirt. The gun still has the factory grips.

Wondering if new grips would help, or would rubber be worse. Or would wood be worse.

Just looking for some opinions / advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I don't like an IWB holster with a full grip shield either, so I suck it up and wear a ribbed tank undershirt. They're light, breathable, and cheap. I don't notice it even on 100 degree days in the humidity of the Ohio Valley.

Carrying is all about compromises, which ones are you willing to make?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Its hard to say as what bothers one person may not bother another at all. That being said, the guns I have with aggressive grips bother my side. I put rubber grips on all my guns and that fixes the problem for me. I would think rubber or wood grips would probably not bother you as much as the stock ones. Since it is such an individual decision, your best bet is to just try a different grip or overgrip.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I prefer a sweat/grip shield of some sort.
Are you carring in a Remora with a Reinforced top?
You might look into another holster. Or even moving the pistol forward or back a little.
Or just try new grips. Even overlays like Traction Grips can make a difference. I put the Lambskin on one of mine and gives a smooth yet very grippable feel.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have a new Tulster holster, that is hands down the best, so far, except the butt of grip is rubbing bare skin. I consulted Tulster, and really didn't get a positive solution, except they said they wear a T shirt. Something that I have avoided for several years. I have been thinking of glueing a small piece of kid leather onto the top, to put a barrier so to speak between the butt, and bare skin..

NRA Life Member
USAF Retired

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
A grip that is good for getting a solid grip is going to rub. Think rubber, textured, stippled, etc. It's made to grip and it's doing it's job. Just on your side instead of your hand. My guess is wood would rub the least.

As a holster maker, you will be hard pressed to get anything but no sweat shield or combat cut from most makers. There are liabilities involved in making full cover backs. Mag ejection, lack of combat grip, having to re adjust grip on the draw, etc. Most makers stay far away from them. Customers will ask for them, then complain about the issues we know are there. You can't win.

Which is why they recommend a T shirt or A shirt.

If you are not tucking the holster in, OWB might be an option. Still carries close but the pants/belt don't force the grip into the side quite like IWB does.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't like an IWB holster with a full grip shield either, so I suck it up and wear a ribbed tank undershirt. They're light, breathable, and cheap. I don't notice it even on 100 degree days in the humidity of the Ohio Valley.

+1:hand56::hand56:

Another option is a microfiber T-Shirt which I wear when I either AWIB or IWB. Light weight, breathable and choose a color, what's not to like.

Reactions: rocky

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
As long as your gun has a full 3 finger grip, I haven't had any issues drawing from an iwb holster with a shield that isolates the handle from your skin.

·
Registered
270 Posts

I know you stated that you don't want to ware an undershirt but, +1 for the tank top. Given that your CCW is black, a black tank top will also help mask the gun were your shirt to ride up.

Reactions: SmoothJazz

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Given that your CCW is black, a black tank top will also help mask the gun were your shirt to ride up.
Most S&W 3913 variants are satin-gray colored (it's one of my favorite pistols). There's plenty of less-aggressive aftermarket grip options (I'm guessing you've got the OEM hard plastic?). Does your Remora have the sweat shield? Is it the mag-well end of the grip rubbing you "the wrong way"? We wanna' help, yet IMHO, more specifics make our answers...less stupid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes...Its the gip rubbing me...I'm pretty certain it's the plastic checkering that's causing the most issue...and yes it's the orginal factory plastic grips.......

My remora has the partial sweatshield, not full sweat shield.......I'm concerned about having the full as I believe it would hamper me from getting a full grip without thinking about it.

And it's the Silver satin finish / not black...I believe it's the 3914 model that's black......

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Buy a set of Hogue grips (rubber or smooth wood), problem solved!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok. So I'm new to carrying. I know there are lots of of options for guns and holsters and it's all opinion. With that said, I'm carrying a SW3913 in a remora holster currently. I like the holster and gun however the grip of the gun is rubbing me raw on my side unless I wear an undershirt.

Any advice on how to help resolve this. I like the idea of combat cut holsters vs full coverage of the handle. I also don't want to wear an undershirt under a t shirt. The gun still has the factory grips.

Wondering if new grips would help, or would rubber be worse. Or would wood be worse.

Just looking for some opinions / advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get why you don't want to wear an undershirt but it's actually a really good solution to this problem. I fought it for a while too, (it gets hot and muggy down here) but now I wear one everyday. I got mine from old navy as they are a bit longer than normal and stay tucked very well. And they're cheap. As to comfort level of grips I'd say it's wood>rubber>hard plastic. Best of luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts