Defensive Carry banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lightweight snubbies present a shooting dilemma. Hot performance ammo in a small light revolver and then trying to shoot the combo efficiently in a defensive manner. Physics rules the day.

Getting a good grip on the snubbies is paramount to efficacy and the Ruger LCR 38 underscores this with its 16 oz carry weight (loaded).

My preferred ammo is Underwood 125 bonded JHPs or their 158 gr Keith, both at well over 1000 fps. Recoil is substantial.

I've spent the last few months working with 4 grips using the above loads as well as the Speer +P 135 gr Gold Dots. My hand size is normal large. A large size Mechanix Wear glove is a bit too snug, the XL is just a touch generous. You know how that goes I carry in a holster or winter coat pocket, no pants pocket carry.

Here's the grips concerned: left to right - Hogue Tamer no finger grooves, Hogue Extreme G10 Piranha texture, Pachmayr Diamond Pro, Hogue Tamer with finger grooves
Brown Airsoft gun

Here's an aspect illustrating the various width/shape profiles: (Hogue no grooves, Pachmayr, Hogue Extreme, Hogue finger grooves)
Bottle Leather

Another view illustrating their practical differences in height: (Hogue no groove, Pachmayr, Hogue with grooves, Hogue Extreme)
Footwear Shoe Leather

The Hogue Tamer finger groove grip is the factory supplied item and works quite well in spite of its two finger design. With moderate load - the Speer Gold Dots - control and comfort are acceptable even during extended sessions. The Underwood loads are too much for my hands and this grip in terms of control and follow up.

The Hogue Tamer no finger groove grip is the factory item supplied on the LCRx 3" revolvers. Its a full length grip easily accommodating large hands with all three fingers. Very comfortable and affords good control even with the Underwood heavy hitters. This is the grip I use when doing extended shooting and chrono work.

The Pachmayr Diamond Pro is a good grip but I do have some issues with it. The exaggerated pear shape is best suited to large hands. The grip gets bigger where the fingers get shorter. Also the top of the back strap area is noticeably narrower than the Hogue components and this is definitely felt with heavy loads. For extended shooting it falls between the Two Hogue rubber grips in terms of control and comfort. Very slick with a speed loader though - plenty of room. Softest of the 3 rubber grips which may be an interference issue for some. I carry appendix and cross draw and find the rubber no trouble to draw, clear and present. Behind the hip carry may be a different story with the softer rubber.

The Hogue Extreme G10 grip with the piranha texture is a superb grip for the concealed LCR. Control and comfort are very good with the Gold Dots and acceptably so with the Underwood ammo. The texture is secure but not overly aggressive. I don't like pronounced finger grooves thus I shaved these down to finger swells as you can see in the pictures. Its an expensive grip but its easily my favorite for daily carry. Its trim enough that pants pocket carry would work if that is your preference although you might want to consider the Hogue Bantam Boot grip which is shorter. The latter is a grip I did not get on with at all thus it is not included here.

Grips efficacy and comfort is certainly a subjective aspect of revolver use and my thoughts and opinions reflect only my specific reality. That said, some may find the illustrations of value when considering the various grips available for the excellent little LCR revolvers.

·
Registered
21,300 Posts
For my purposes if I need a big grip, I'd just soon have a bigger gun. The factory grips on the LCR make it useless for pocket carry in my pockets, so I'd just as soon have a steel frame on the belt.

OTOH, the light weight j frame Smiths with the factory boot grips better fill the role in which it is more practical to use, but that's my opinion.

·
Registered
21,300 Posts
That's one of the benefits of the revolver....you can change out the grips for whatever you need.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For my purposes if I need a big grip, I'd just soon have a bigger gun. The factory grips on the LCR make it useless for pocket carry in my pockets, so I'd just as soon have a steel frame on the belt.

OTOH, the light weight j frame Smiths with the factory boot grips better fill the role in which it is more practical to use, but that's my opinion.
I don't shoot the snubbies well enough with effective ammo and a boot grip to consider such an effective carry weapon. I need a three finger purchase. The Hogue G10 grip gives me a good balance of control and size.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've gone back and forth on LCR grips.

The best for pocket carry are the G10's. The rubber grips are more comfortable for heavy loads -- the elongated Hogue is the best for that.

Here is one of my LCRs with the G10.

That blue G10 looks very nice on the LCR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts