Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was moving some old boxes I found an old holster that fits a Model 10 S&W. It had been in that box for at least 15 years. For some reason it is hard as a rock! Its not cracked or anything else, but I'm afraid that if I start moving the leather around it will crack. It is literally as hard as a piece of Kydex. Any ideas what I can put on it to bring it back to life? DR

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Yep Neatsfoot oil will!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
No on neat's-foot oil it will separate the grain in the leather. Get some Connolly's hide care. Amazon has it. That's what I used on my WII holsters. It will soften the leather up and it has lanolin in it too and will not damage the leather. it was recommended to me by several other collectors of old leather holsters.

If you get the Connolly's heat the jar for about 10 seconds in the microwave, the shake it up. The recombines the lanolin with the rest of the cream. Use an old toothbrush to apply the holster.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have many leather holsters that are made to be rigid. It's part of the design, and the gun fits snug, for retention.
What kind of holster do you have?
For example, my Pure Custom holster is referred to as " Cowdex".

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
There is a product called Leatherique.

Many museums use it for antique leather articles of historical value.

Don't waste your money on the pre cleaner. Just get the rejuvenating bottle.

The cheapest you are going to find it is $30.00

Search eBay for Leatherique . ...Known world wide for its ability to soften even cardboard hard leather. It is a complex blend of animal proteins, collagens, with absolutely no oil fillers of any kind. Totally unlike all other leather products, it will not stain or discolor leather. It is perfectly safe for equestrian use! Simply spray or wipe onto the surface and massage into the leather with your hands. Allow for it be absorbed into the fibers. Rejuvenator has a unique capillary action which forces proteins into the leather and dirt out! Repeated use will keep leather in tip top shape. Use to condition and preserve all your leather cars, saddles, tack, furniture, motorcycle leather and even apparel. Prestine Clean is the perfect cleaner to use after each application of Rejuvenator to remove the displaced impurities on the surface of the leather.

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
If you search eBay for Leatherique with a Lowest Price Plus Shipping option then you'll find it for $29.99.

You may find it elsewhere on the web for less money.

You do need to ask yourself if you want to put 30 Bucks into any old holster.

If you have some other leather items that could do for some careful conditioning...it might be worth it.

You need to apply a bit....wait a couple days...apply a bit more...etc.

And don't test how conditioned the leather becomes too soon. The product needs time and multiple applications in order to migrate to all of the leather fibers.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Obenauf's is the best for any leather that needs some love.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I have many leather holsters that are made to be rigid. It's part of the design, and the gun fits snug, for retention.
Force drying leather to make it stiff for holster use is different than leather that has gotten stiff and brittle from old age/ lack of care. I have some old leather in the garage I bought from a neighbor. When I went to unroll it, the leather actually started breaking on the grain side. Sounds like what's happened to the OP's holster.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
lol, Cowdex, Leather, not Plastic and Stonger than Kydex. :) I make my holsters to be strong and hold their retention.

New Page 0

1 - 13 of 13 Posts