Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked out the new smith&wesson M&P at www.smith-wesson.com. It must be the ugliest piece of hardware I have ever seen. Who runs their design team? It looks like a walther P99 on acid. Any test data out there yet?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Have you ever seen a Glock?

Not really all that new at all but the gun fits a need in the LEO market and to be honest they are pretty dang good guns with alot of very good reviews and the price is right. Kimber has a new version out of the MP I think it is the KDP to also play ball in the market as well.

Ti.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Yep - bit like my SW99 and - not pretty. No feedback on that yet that I recall.

I will say tho - surprisingly perhaps - I have a SW99 compact and tho it is fugly - heck - it shoots and carries just great! Ergonomics are odd and hardly ideal but - do not dismiss it!

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I fondled one at this year's SHOT Show....it felt very comfortable in my hand; the trigger pulls on the displayed guns were also very nice.

Ernest Langdon, S&W's director of Fed LE and Military sales beat Dave Sevigny in the Stock Service Pistol division at the S&W IDPA Winter Nationals. Langdon fired an M&P.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Well right away the mag disconnect turned me off it does feel pretty good in hand have not had the chance to shoot one though

·
Registered
74 Posts
I own one. I think it is a fine looking gun. The slide has good looking lines, the adjustable grip has "texture" giving superior grip, a masculine looking external extractor that could pick a giant's nose, aggressive but attractive rear slide treatment for cycling that looks like waves. I think the tac rail looks a tad toothy. what is the nicest thing about the pistol is the way it makes a target look. In the right hand, that thing could pound nails.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I saw one and did not think it looked worse than most other semiauto black plastic pistols. I think Glocks are uglier, but they shoot beautifully.
God Bless

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
Am I Totally Weird ?

Don't Answer That...you'll get banned. :biggrin2:

I honestly like the way it looks.
I am not trying to be contrary either.
I remember (way back when) when multiple Gun Writers said that the original SIG P220 was an extremely UGLY pistol. I thought it looked beautiful.
On the S&W Military/Police ~ Form seems to follow function.
I like it.
With a slightly more "Artsy" Photograph ~ To me it looks sort of SIGesque mated with Minor Glock. OK & maybe a tiny touch of Walther in there.
I would buy one.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
Ergonomically, I think they feel much better than the Glocks and XDs.

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
S&W Military & Police

Firearm Specs:
SKU: item_209000
Model: M&P
Caliber: .40S&W
Capacity: 15+1 Rounds
Barrel Length: 4.25"
Front Sight: Steel Ramp Dovetail Mount - Tritium Sights Optional
Rear Sight: Steel Novak® Lo-Mount Carry - Tritium Sights Optional
Trigger Pull: 6.5 lbs.
Trigger Travel: Rest to Fire .300 in.
Trigger Reset: Approx. .140 in.
Frame: Large
Finish: Slide and Barrel Black Melonite®, 68HRc
Overall Length: 7.5"
Material: Zytel Polymer Frame, Stainless Steel Barrel/Slide and Structural Components
Weight Empty (No Mag): 24.25 oz.
Overall Height: 5.5"
Width: 1.2"
Sight Length: 6.4"

MSRP $695.00

S&W MP Pistol Vid Below...Really neat watch the pistol assemble itself.
Speakers necessary....Very Impressive. Plus this pistol has an Ambi Slide Release & Magazine Release.

You Must Watch This S&W VIDEO Click Here!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have handled one in the store. The trigger pull is nice, the features are all there, but the price is a little high. It doesn't pull me either way. Kimber has one that looks exactly like it. The PD I think it is called.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Excellent bit of Flash vid QK - thx for link - grabbed that!

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
we're selling em......but ever sl slowly...........they're not catching on yet.........BIG gun......The beretta CX4s are selling real quick though

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Rocnerd said:
I have handled one in the store. The trigger pull is nice, the features are all there, but the price is a little high. It doesn't pull me either way. Kimber has one that looks exactly like it. The PD I think it is called.
My dealer sells them all day for about $475.00 and for the quality of this gun that is a very good price.

The Kimber model is the KDP!

Ti.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, it's available in 9mm & .40 S&W. I do kinda like the looks of it but there's so many polymers on the market that I wouldn't begin to guess how their overall sales will do. For some reason, the grip profile makes me think of the EAA Witness ... of course, they keep changing my meds too so that may be part of it :blink:.
Jack

·
Registered
344 Posts
I like them, tested them before I retired,,is a full size weapon on line of the glock-17,, to me feels better in the hand and a bit thinner,with the small grip,,if the Smith Rep was right , some time next summer look for a 45acp version,, can't find them in my area, selling fairly well

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry, when I see S&W M&P I immediately think of the fine old .38Spl revolver, not another Glock clone. Excuse me while I sneak off for a rendition of "Tradition!" :biggrin2:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts