Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain this? It seems like New England is being set up as a potential "seperate nation" with NY acting as a barrier. This is what my research shows and I just list the major companies, I realize that there are many more companies and ammo factories so if anyone has anymore please add them...

Colt - Hartford, CT
S&W - Sprfingfield, MA
Ruger - Southport, CT
Sig Sauer - Exeter, NH
Mossberg - North Haven, CT
Remington - Ilion, NY
Kahr (Desert Eagle) - Warchester, MA

These are the only ones that I know of that are not made in the Evil Empire:

Glock - Smyrna, GA
HK - Columbus, GA
FNH - McLean, VA

·
Super Moderator
18,492 Posts
Yeah but nearly all of them began there long before the complexion of the regional political landscape changed and deteriorated. We're talkin' over a century and a half for three of those firms and over 60 years on a couple more.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Well it kind of started there and stayed but may be time to leave.

·
Super Moderator
19,448 Posts
The Connecticut River valley (from Long Island Sound up to the Vermont-New Hampshire border) alone gave birth to a huge huge amount of manufacturing throughout the Industrial Revolution, with much continuing into the 20th century. It's frequently referred to as "Gun Valley" with lots of successful firearms companies and their spin-offs. Mossberg, Iver Johnson, Savage, Stevens, Harrington and Richardson, Winchester, High Standard, Parker, Spencer, Sharps, Charter Arms, Auto-Ordnance, and Seecamp have all made their home in that region at one time or another. Sad to see it diminish and be driven out.

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
Ruger already has a factory up and running in Prescott, AZ.

Reactions: varob

·
Super Moderator
19,448 Posts
Colt is moving to Florida also kel tec and sccy are located down here
The business about Colt is premature. The have a small R&D center in FL, but there are no firm plans to move there or anywhere else as yet.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
"Set up"??????? Just b/c you just noticed something that's been in existence for 100 yrs doesn't make it a conspiracy. As stated, all those companies have been around before the "liberal" mania. ATK is in MO, Daniel Defense in GA, BCM in WI, Kel-Tec in FL, Barrett in TN, DPMS in MN, ... There, there's a list (incl Glock, etc) of more outside NE than your original 7.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do realize that these companies have been there for 100+ years. I know its not a conspiracy but I knew that there had to be a reason that all these places were in the same areas... Gasmitty provided interesting info that I was previously unaware of. When I say "set up" I'm basically just referring to the unconstitutional laws and general geography of the region. I was just wondering if people could help add to the list that I started.

·
Super Moderator
22,041 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,448 Posts
I do realize that these companies have been there for 100+ years. I know its not a conspiracy but I knew that there had to be a reason that all these places were in the same areas... Gasmitty provided interesting info that I was previously unaware of. When I say "set up" I'm basically just referring to the unconstitutional laws and general geography of the region. I was just wondering if people could help add to the list that I started.
I'm a history buff and grew up in New England, so this is basic stuff to me. Recall that from colonial times, the northeast was home to industry whereas the south was given more to agriculture. Due to its earlier development (population-wise), the northeast had a head start over the south on the infrastructure which supported manufacturing. The population density was higher in the NE, which also favored industry vs. agriculture. The advent of lower-cost transportation of goods via railroad was an equalizing factor, but realistically it took nearly 100 years for that to fully develop and offset the northeast's early advantage.

·
Super Moderator
19,448 Posts
These are smaller manufacturers, but the names should be recognizable to gun aficianados who still have a pulse -

Barrett - TN
McMillan - AZ
Dakota Arms - SD
Freedom Arms - WY
Les Baer - IA
Bravo Company - WI
LMT - IL
CMMG - MO

·
Super Moderator
23,743 Posts
The NE also has a lot of water power for industry, and the skill base grew and stayed. Close to the customers.

Here's a modern analog: Silicon Valley. It started there, had critical mass first....and the rest is history. Same with the film industry in LA - good weather for filming...........

·
Banned
2,648 Posts
The rumor has it that Colt will move part of it's manufacturing to Breckenridge Tx. There are other gun manufacturers in Connecticut that have not been mentioned; Wildey, Connecticut Shotgun, Stag, Seecamp, PTR. The relocation of the companies will have a major impact on their suppliers, local resturants, real estate market etc. not to mention the lost sales taxes, state income tax, local and state license fees, property taxes vehicle taxes and registrations.

Texas is working very hard to woo all of them to relocate to Texas.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts