Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been waiting for months to hear from someone who actually owns the new Dagger before I buy one. Has anyone got anthing to say about the pistol? I am a PSA fanboy when it comes to AR's and i am really interested in whether their $299.9 Glock clone hits it out of the boxi.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
No Sir, AND I'm WAITING ON AN AK-V since the FIRST of the year. GLAD I DON'T NEED it! 🤷‍♀️:unsure:

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
PSA makes good stuff and a Glock 19 clone at that price point should sell like the proverbial hotcakes. Are there any early reviews on YouTube yet?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PSA makes good stuff and a Glock 19 clone at that price point should sell like the proverbial hotcakes. Are there any early reviews on YouTube yet?
YouTube has Shot show intro but no actual user info. That is my reason for asking as there site has been saying there will be a 10-15 day wait before shipping for at least a month. I just want to hear what actual owners think off it before I order. I would like to believe it will be a " perfect" clone, but I would love to hear it from an unbiased owner, not some YouTube r who is using an "evaluation" pistol sent out from PSA for reviews.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
I am interested too. And also in their MP5 clone. Will be my next “impractical” gun.
I was about to ask if this was ahead or behind their MP5 that has been coming out later this year for the past 4 years.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
20,635 Posts
I am still waiting on my Bren Ten.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Waiting on their Jakl.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I was about to ask if this was ahead or behind their MP5 that has been coming out later this year for the past 4 years.
I searched high and low through their site. Maybe I missed it, but I'm not finding anything about an "MP5 clone". They pretty much don't need one as they have all the characteristics of the MP5 covered with their variety of AR 9mm versions.

Did I miss it?

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
I searched high and low through their site. Maybe I missed it, but I'm not finding anything about an "MP5 clone". They pretty much don't need one as they have all the characteristics of the MP5 covered with their variety of AR 9mm versions.

Did I miss it?
No. It’s never been on their website. They’ve announced it at SHOT show 2 or 3 times. And each time they said it would be available that year. 9mm AR’s are nothing like an MP5 though.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
No. It’s never been on their website. They’ve announced it at SHOT show 2 or 3 times. And each time they said it would be available that year. 9mm AR’s are nothing like an MP5 though.
I know. A friend of mine was the Deputy Chief of a US Border Patrol Sector. He had one...it was an SD model. I don't know if it was an agency-owned weapon, or his personally. I didn't even think at the time about Class 3 weapons like that. It was full auto and was accurate enough until we moved out beyond 100 yards. I wasn't impressed at those ranges. It was very quiet though. Truth be told, I've been at the range when a guy was shooting a suppressed 8.5" barrel 300 BO AR and it was every bit as quiet.

And of course, anyone with body armor is not going to be affected unless you shoot outside the center of mass. Just goes with the 9mm territory.

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
I know. A friend of mine was the Deputy Chief of a US Border Patrol Sector. He had one...it was an SD model. I don't know if it was an agency-owned weapon, or his personally. I didn't even think at the time about Class 3 weapons like that. It was full auto and was accurate enough until we moved out beyond 100 yards. I wasn't impressed at those ranges. It was very quiet though. Truth be told, I've been at the range when a guy was shooting a suppressed 8.5" barrel 300 BO AR and it was every bit as quiet.

And of course, anyone with body armor is not going to be affected unless you shoot outside the center of mass. Just goes with the 9mm territory.
The MP5SD is definitely one of my favorite guns out of everything I’ve ever shot. Do need a suppressor for my 8.5” .300 though. Just gotta convince the wife.

·
Registered
717 Posts
PSA dropped the Dagger on their website about 6 weeks ago and the website literally crashed and they sold out within minutes. I was part of a PSA Dagger FB group and not too long after they sold out PSA released a message saying that, upon final assembly, a part was found to be out of spec and they would have to go back to the vendor to be replaced. At that point I gave up on it and left the PSA group. I may revisit it once it's been out a while and performed well. So, to answer your question, no body has one yet.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts

9MM out of a rifle has a maximum range of about 100 yards, per several reviews I have see. Harrell or Funk tested one as I recall. What it's sent out of has no effect other than a little accuracy, more or less. Other than that it's really just fit, feel, and personal preference. Ok, reliability can be affected if it's low quality parts.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
9MM out of a rifle has a maximum range of about 100 yards, per several reviews I have see. Harrell or Funk tested one as I recall. What it's sent out of has no effect other than a little accuracy, more or less. Other than that it's really just fit, feel, and personal preference. Ok, reliability can be affected if it's low quality parts.
With all due respect to the aforementioned "authorities", I regularly shot a 1911 in practice for 50 yard Bullseye matches at 100 yards using a simple holdover. And this was definitely not fast defensive 45 ACP, but slow, accurate handloads. Those bullets did not just stop at 101 yards.

9mm bullets do not have the best ballistic coefficient, by a long shot, but if the gun is sighted at 25 yards, the bullet will drop about 12 inches at 100 yards. But far easier than all that is to just look over this data...

Here is the part that makes all the difference in the world...note the part I have highlighted.

"This is a 9mm Luger ballistics chart (external) generated using our ballistic trajectory calculator. It tracks the movement of the bullet in zero wind conditions, and out to 100 yards. If you want to go further or apply wind resistance then use custom settings with our ballistic calculator. All data based of a the assumption that the pistol has been zeroed in at 25 yds., no scope is present, and the bullet being fired is a with a 124 gr, 9mm round, (in this example we used federal) with a bc (ballistic coefficient of 0.149). This bullet moves 1120fps from the muzzle. If all of this is confusing, just disregard all that mumbo jumbo above."

This is PISTOL data. I would expect a pistol with non-adjustable sights. Even so, at 100 yards with such a pistol, aiming at the lower jawline will yield a center of mass hit at 100 yards.

A 9mm rifle, like any gun with adjustable sights, may be zeroed at any desired range - say in this case 100 yards. No holdover needed. I'll let you look up the 100 yard velocity on the chart.

And yes, they are wrong on another count. Barrel length does change velocity - both ways. At least until the barrel is so long that all the powder is completely burned. How much is varies is dependent on the particular gun - but a 9mm round does increase velocity as the barrel gets longer. Get a chronograph and see if I'm shooting straight here.

I'm almost positive these guys understand all this.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
With all due respect to the aforementioned "authorities", I regularly shot a 1911 in practice for 50 yard Bullseye matches at 100 yards using a simple holdover. And this was definitely not fast defensive 45 ACP, but slow, accurate handloads. Those bullets did not just stop at 101 yards.
I never said they stop at 101 yards, only effective to about 100 yards. After that they drop pretty quickly and lose significant "punch." That would be about the range the 9mm would stop exploding Harrell's 2 liter Orange Shasta bottles and simply poke a hole in it. But hey, a .22 can kill too. But I wouldn't choose to trust it in a long range SD situation over a rifle caliber. Nice for HD or shorter range varmint hunting. If I'm anticipating anything significently over 100 yards, I'd be looking at a .223/556 or .308/7.62 or other actual rifle caliber.

In a 16" minimum rifle length, the 9mm supposedly gains about 200 FPS over a 4" barrel in a pistol. That was either Harrell or Funk's test in a Sub2000. YMMV, depending on the load. I believe that would be the result of the green and white box Remingtons.

·
Registered
42,968 Posts
A caliber has got to know its limitations...

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I never said they stop at 101 yards, only effective to about 100 yards. After that they drop pretty quickly and lose significant "punch." That would be about the range the 9mm would stop exploding Harrell's 2 liter Orange Shasta bottles and simply poke a hole in it. But hey, a .22 can kill too. But I wouldn't choose to trust it in a long range SD situation over a rifle caliber. Nice for HD or shorter range varmint hunting. If I'm anticipating anything significently over 100 yards, I'd be looking at a .223/556 or .308/7.62 or other actual rifle caliber.

In a 16" minimum rifle length, the 9mm supposedly gains about 200 FPS over a 4" barrel in a pistol. That was either Harrell or Funk's test in a Sub2000. YMMV, depending on the load. I believe that would be the result of the green and white box Remingtons.
I know you never said that, but the implication that it just runs out of steam at 100 yards, (by anybody) has been, and will continue to be, fatal to inexperienced people who believe such stuff and do not understand the implications of where a gun is zeroed.

I agree that rifle distances are for rifles. However, it should never be forgotten the little phrase that used to be on every box of ammunition, "Dangerous: range one mile." My point was that a 9mm being fired from a pistol is still moving at almost 1,000 feet per second at 100 yards. It is not going to stop an elephant, but we're not dealing with elephants.

Just for your information. While this site has a number of caveats in the testing methods, I have found through chronograph usage that my results compare fairly closely with this.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts