Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get my hands on one of Rock River's 1911 Poly .45s, but I cannot find them anywhere. I thought they were out, but possibly not??

Has anyone seen one, or have one? If so, what did you think?
saa.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
The RRA web site shows, "Coming Soon", so I would not expect to find one on the street yet.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The RRA web site shows, "Coming Soon", so I would not expect to find one on the street yet.
I don't think they had that on there when I looked at it, but I could have missed it altogether. Thanks. I appreciate the heads up.
saa.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I read a recent review that said the grip area is thicker than that of a metal-framed 1911 variant. That, alone, sends me back to an alloy frame 'cause one of my biggest justifications for a 1911 is the thin grip profile.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
a polymer frame 1911?? Blasphemy I say, Blasphemy!! JMB would NEVER approve of his design made in (gasp) plastic.

....now if Gaston Glock would make a 1911 with a high impact OD green polymer frame, I'd be on it like flies on honey.:image035:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a polymer frame 1911?? Blasphemy I say, Blasphemy!! JMB would NEVER approve of his design made in (gasp) plastic.

....now if Gaston Glock would make a 1911 with a high impact OD green polymer frame, I'd be on it like flies on honey.:image035:
OK, so let me understand what you're saying: Rock Rivers polymer frame is crap, because it's polymer (plastic in your words for the RR gun); but Glock's polymer 1911 would be great because it's a color that you like - even though it's also polymer (plastic, in your description). Is that it?

Let it sink in a little...

OK, yes, you need to edit your post because you're contridicting... um, yourself. :)
saa.

PS: I love Glock too! I'd snatch a glock single stack 1911 in a heartbeat, given it retained Glocks level of robust quality. I also think this Rock River deserves a chance. I have some fat grip guns (Glock!) and depending on many factors, they can be very workable.

We'll see.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sarcasm is just not appreciated anymore. lol
I'm sure Zonker knows I'm just kidding (Zonker, I'm just kidding!!) :)

I'm lucky to remember what I wrote from word to word, let alone sentence to sentence!

He's got a point on JMB. Could you imagine someone saying: "Hey, John, let's give this a try in a really good plastic..." LOL.

Roll over, indeed!
saa.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts

JMB probably would've said, "Plastic? Whaddaheck is plastic???" :hand5:

Reactions: OD*

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
"OK, so let me understand what you're saying: Rock Rivers polymer frame is crap, because it's polymer (plastic in your words for the RR gun); but Glock's polymer 1911 would be great because it's a color that you like - even though it's also polymer (plastic, in your description). Is that it?"

I'm an "equal opportunity" loather of plastic for firearms, myself.

Reactions: OD*

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I love Glock too! I'd snatch a glock single stack 1911 in a heartbeat, given it retained Glocks level of robust quality. I also think this Rock River deserves a chance. I have some fat grip guns (Glock!) and depending on many factors, they can be very workable.

We'll see.
Glock would never make a 1911, Gaston's ego is WAY too big to have to admit in the name that it was designed by someone else. I mean it's not like he copied the idea of a polymer frame...oh wait...

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Glock would never make a 1911, Gaston's ego is WAY too big to have to admit in the name that it was designed by someone else. I mean it's not like he copied the idea of a polymer frame...oh wait...
Lol just like JMB wasn't the first to design an auto-loading pistol, but what do he and GG both have in common? Both are thought of as the pioneers of their field because they did it the best.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm an "equal opportunity" loather of plastic for firearms, myself.
I'm a lover of the all steel guns! For sure.

My Colt Series 70 1911 is a treasure. My SAAs, original first gen SAAs that are 130+ years old and work like they are new - priceless to me.

But, for those who lock themselves away from the innovation of today's firearms, they miss a huge opportunity to use some of the lightest and best designed handguns ever made. Glocks, SW M&Ps, Sigs, Rugers, the list is endless. All great guns for today's shooters.

I'm not saying Glocks will, or could, ever replace my colt collection in heart and soul. Never!! But the guns of today, the polymer guns, have advantages that steel can't touch. You can call them plastic if you want - but it's some resilient, and robust plastic that has proven the test of durability, reliability, and for me - my trust.

I carry plastic on my hip everyday. I trust my life to it, and the lives of my family. Call it what you will, leave it alone if you must, but the only one missing out... is you.

This is simply the opinion of someone who loves old steel guns - heart and soul!
saa.

Reactions: Kilowatt3

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
I'm a lover of the all steel guns! For sure.

My Colt Series 70 1911 is a treasure. My SAAs, original first gen SAAs that are 130+ years old and work like they are new - priceless to me.

But, for those who lock themselves away from the innovation of today's firearms, they miss a huge opportunity to use some of the lightest and best designed handguns ever made. Glocks, SW M&Ps, Sigs, Rugers, the list is endless. All great guns for today's shooters.

I'm not saying Glocks will, or could, ever replace my colt collection in heart and soul. Never!! But the guns of today, the polymer guns, have advantages that steel can't touch. You can call them plastic if you want - but it's some resilient, and robust plastic that has proven the test of durability, reliability, and for me - my trust.

I carry plastic on my hip everyday. I trust my life to it, and the lives of my family. Call it what you will, leave it alone if you must, but the only one missing out... is you.

This is simply the opinion of someone who loves old steel guns - heart and soul!
saa.

This is just me philosophizing but the innovation I see is centered in being less expensive to produce. This is a good thing as it makes ownership of handguns more attainable for more folks. Otherwise, they all fling projectiles about equally well.

I particularly don't want "lightest." I like weight and good balance in a handgun. "Best designed" is subjective and debatable. The "advantage" of plastic for the end user of the product goes right by me. No rusting? Pretty minor consideration unless one is supremely lazy about his firearms maintenance. Molded plastic holds distinct advantages for the manufacturer however.

I've made my peace with the fact that I'm simply not going to be one of "today's shooters." I'm still not finished playing with the guns that were popular and desirable when I took up the hobby.

Just because there are newer designs on the market doesn't mean one's trust is misplaced in the older designs that still serve well. Besides, they all use the same self-contained metallic cartridges.

I've been shooting my own handguns for 38 years now without benefit of plastic. I have 20, maybe 30 good shootin' years left in me. I'm sure I can get along without plastic for that much longer.

What if it actually wasn't I, or my generation who was "missing out?"

Reactions: G-man* and Cuda66

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been wanting to get my hands on one of Rock River's 1911 Poly .45s, but I cannot find them anywhere. I thought they were out, but possibly not??

Has anyone seen one, or have one? If so, what did you think?
saa.
Wilson Combat apparently beat Rock River to it with their Spec-Ops 9. If you know someone that subscribes to Conceald Carry Magazine, there is a write up starting on page 54. Only 36.7 ounces with a full mag of 16 rounds of 9mm ammo. the kicker? Base MSRP is a paltry $2,285.00.

P.S. If it's not .45ACP, it's not a 1911.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I believe the polymer frame is being produced for a 1911 to get you polymer loving whack jobs to finally try out and admit the 1911 is by far the better design for a pistol.

I mean, it's blatantly obvious.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Lol just like JMB wasn't the first to design an auto-loading pistol, but what do he and GG both have in common? Both are thought of as the pioneers of their field because they did it the best.
http://cdn.glockforum.com/forum/attachments/f25/7076d1336618931-1911-mystique-glock1911a2.jpg

OR

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/1911glockaprilfools3501.jpg

On a side note, anyone here own a S&W made 1911? I asked at a large LGS (before it burned to the ground) about them once and the salesman said he had only seen one in the two years he had worked there and it was a special order. This was a dealer that sell (sold) a ton of S&W products from revolvers to ARs.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I love steel 1911s! And I'll venture that I have many more steel guns without a polymer component in them than you do, and likely more polymer framed guns too.

So, to be accurate, I'm an all opportunity whack job who likes both - but I started out with and still love my steel guns.

Maybe the poly 1911s are designed to get steel headed 1911 whack jobs a polymer gun that they can recognize. :)
saa.
When I buy a 1911 some day it (at least the first one) will be a basic, blued steel, 3 dot, classic M1911A1 style like they used from WWI on until the 1980s.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts