Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carpe diem. Seize the moment.

As I get older (months from 70), I wonder at times if my threat awareness and CC-ing a firearm is having a negative effect on my ability to enjoy the moments of life that are uniquely mine and meant to be relished.

There have been many times, before the pandemic, when I would go places where people were laughing and having a great time with others in their peer group, or their children and grandchildren. It didn't take much of an examination to confirm there was no way most of them could even conceal a firearm (tucked shirts, shorts, flip-flops, etc.) and I wondered if my Glock under my shirt was overkill.

Anyone else occasionally feel this way?

I can't recall the last time I went into a seedy bar or hung out with folks who were loaded to the gills on alcohol or other drugs; I've entered that final phase of life where my pleasures are much simpler and either solitary or with my wife or immediate family. When I elect to engage on a social level with others, it's at a place and time of my choosing, so I can easily read the mood of the crowd dynamics ... which I certainly don't anticipate will lead to ANY kind of violent encounters.

Certainly, I feel some reassurance from the gun and occasional knife, but is it worth the occasional twinge that I'm in a definite minority among those with whom I'm socializing?

I will add that my wife supports my decision to CC a handgun, so that's not an issue. She also has a handgun on her person or near her bed (a S&W 642 with five Hornady Lite hollow points), which eliminates a potential conflict with her.

Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Not in any way, sir. It is ingrained in me; I just can't not be aware, be the one who covers. I have tried to just let go and enjoy the moment, but it is simply not me, not right for me. I am who I am, and at almost 71, I'm sure it's one of the reasons I'm still counting years. Never give up, never surrender.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not in any way, sir. It is ingrained in me; I just can't not be aware, be the one who covers. I have tried to just let go and enjoy the moment, but it is simply not me, not right for me. I am who I am, and at almost 71, I'm sure it's one of the reasons I'm still counting years. Never give up, never surrender.
I enjoy myself more when I know that I have my bases covered. Habits learned as a child, nurtured through Boy Scouts, honed in the service and validated through life experience have made me much more effective in all social situations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am about to turn 71. I take great care in watching my surroundings. I have 4 EDC guns. For me it is which gun am I going to carry today. Everything from an 11 shot 22 LR pistol to big 357 mag revolver. The chances of me having to pull a firearm are slim but with everything going on this world you just never know. I also am still pastoring a church. I guess it's about a quote I read this week that said, "The day is coming when good men are going to have to do some bad things." Just food for thought today. Thanks for listening to my ramblings. Grace6man

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. Being armed has also become a matter of habit for me; in fact, I pocket carried a Ruger LCPII through most of the winter of 2018-19 when my daughter and son in law were staying nearby in a rented house while theirs was being renovated. I played with my two grandsons on the floor with their toys and rolled around in mock battle with them ... all the while with my LCP in the right front pocket.

Never thought I'd need the gun in my own house, but during that time period I also came a hair's breath away from drawing the little Ruger on a pair of pit bulls that had gotten into a fight and then bitten their owner when he pulled them apart. Heard some high-pitched screams and assumed the worst, but in the end I didn't need the gun. Definitely got my adrenaline pumping. I've since moved up to a G42 in larger pockets.

·
Premium Member
4,867 Posts
I am always aware of my surroundings. Never can switch off.

It is more of a hassle for me. Carrying the firearm. Pre CCW days which were long ago, I always carried a pocket knife. Utility not defensive. Joy to carry. Had a few situations requiring talking my way out of over the years. Could easily have gone the other way.

So no, hasn’t changed my enjoyment. Just more crap to haul around.

·
Registered
36,074 Posts
I am not one who "lives by the gun." If I wish to go somewhere where carrying is prohibited or impractical, I go unarmed--if that is where I need to go. An example is the sports bars I frequent. I cannot carry in the "bar area" and often, especially when I'm alone, I will sit at the bar for my meal rather than take up precious table/booth space these days. I've made it this far, I'll enjoy what's remaining, with or without a gun.

So is my enjoyment diminished? Hardly.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If it bothers you to carry a gun then don't do it. The most common trait amongst humans is the ability to rationalize anything that makes them feel good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Carpe diem. Seize the moment.

As I get older (months from 70), I wonder at times if my threat awareness and CC-ing a firearm is having a negative effect on my ability to enjoy the moments of life that are uniquely mine and meant to be relished.

There have been many times, before the pandemic, when I would go places where people were laughing and having a great time with others in their peer group, or their children and grandchildren. It didn't take much of an examination to confirm there was no way most of them could even conceal a firearm (tucked shirts, shorts, flip-flops, etc.) and I wondered if my Glock under my shirt was overkill.

Anyone else occasionally feel this way?

I can't recall the last time I went into a seedy bar or hung out with folks who were loaded to the gills on alcohol or other drugs; I've entered that final phase of life where my pleasures are much simpler and either solitary or with my wife or immediate family. When I elect to engage on a social level with others, it's at a place and time of my choosing, so I can easily read the mood of the crowd dynamics ... which I certainly don't anticipate will lead to ANY kind of violent encounters.

Certainly, I feel some reassurance from the gun and occasional knife, but is it worth the occasional twinge that I'm in a definite minority among those with whom I'm socializing?

I will add that my wife supports my decision to CC a handgun, so that's not an issue. She also has a handgun on her person or near her bed (a S&W 642 with five Hornady Lite hollow points), which eliminates a potential conflict with her.

Thanks for the input.
On the contrary..!

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
Doesn't weight on me. For over 3/4 of my life, I've "kept a mindset of watching EVERYTHING around me, with an evolving POA as thing's progress". I guess you could say I've lead a "colorful life"! 😂 MANY thing's transpired growing up! Of course, I was in the Boy Scouts, and even did a stint as an Assistant Scoutmaster of a troop in the 90's. Parent's grew up in the depression. My mother's family had a farm (plantation in Louisiana) I stayed at most every summer. Got fascinated with firearms when I was 5. Got my first one (MINE, that stayed in MY room) when I was 11. Guns as presents every year after that! Last gun that was gifted to me was my "high school graduation gift". After that, Dad said he'd still pick up the ammo tab, BUT I was on my own for "new guns"! Always carrying, & being diligent, now, are SOP because of "my current business/lifestyle". I "CHOSE to DO WHAT I DO, & the people I'm around".

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
No.
Carrying concealed brings me joy.... :)
The joy of knowing I (nor my family) anit gonna be at the "mercy" of criminal(s).

Those tucked shirts mentioned in OP - that sucks up all enjoyment. :sick:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've come to accept the potential of printing as an 'occupational' hazard for CC, but I've also come to accept that I've got state-issued permits in the states where I reside. It's only on a rare occasion that I sometimes wish I was blissfully ignorant of the potential NEED for a violent reaction.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Not for me. I feel almost naked without my revolver.

I never ever wear tucked shirts, shorts, or flip flops. If I ain't in the shower or the bed, I'm wearing boots, jeans, and an untucked shirt, and my revolver rides happily on my side.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,364 Posts
I am seventy-four. I started shooting guns in the early 1950s. I have carried guns when and where legal since 1963. I have had a concealed carry permit since 1992 when the state I lived in changed from may issue (not likely) to shall issue.

I carry a government model 1911 and spare magazine in either .45 ACP or 10mm on my belt with a Sig P938 and spare magazine in my pockets. I carry them from the time I get dressed until they go on the nightstand when I go to bed.

Before I shower and get dressed, I have a NAA MiniMag 22M in my sweatpants pocket or swim trunks pocket. It doesn't pull my pants down. Other guns are nearby.

On the very rare occasion I don't carry, I feel naked.

My sister-in-law would hug me when she arrived and when she departed. If she felt my gun on my hip, she would ask if it was my gun or was I happy to see her.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts