Defensive Carry banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

Premium Member
He鈥檚 right, and we have a pic of Pete63 to prove it - and he鈥檚 obviously not worried one bit! Keep in mind, this is just one side your seeing - both ankles, under his arms.....guns, the man would wear them loaded as earrings if he could get by with it. Pete63 is a walking gun store! 馃槈 馃槀

View attachment 334871
馃槀 How'd you sneak that shot without me knowing? You should be school'n CWO, when he's out hunt'n Karen's! ;)

Registered
Sorry, couldn't read all 4 pages.
I am far from gun-centric. I am armed as often as I am not these days. I don't sweat it if I cannot carry at times as I am armed now matter the tool.
Enjoy life. It's too short to live in fear of what may happen that you miss that which does happen.

Registered
Carpe diem. Seize the moment.

As I get older (months from 70), I wonder at times if my threat awareness and CC-ing a firearm is having a negative effect on my ability to enjoy the moments of life that are uniquely mine and meant to be relished.

There have been many times, before the pandemic, when I would go places where people were laughing and having a great time with others in their peer group, or their children and grandchildren. It didn't take much of an examination to confirm there was no way most of them could even conceal a firearm (tucked shirts, shorts, flip-flops, etc.) and I wondered if my Glock under my shirt was overkill.

Anyone else occasionally feel this way?

I can't recall the last time I went into a seedy bar or hung out with folks who were loaded to the gills on alcohol or other drugs; I've entered that final phase of life where my pleasures are much simpler and either solitary or with my wife or immediate family. When I elect to engage on a social level with others, it's at a place and time of my choosing, so I can easily read the mood of the crowd dynamics ... which I certainly don't anticipate will lead to ANY kind of violent encounters.

Certainly, I feel some reassurance from the gun and occasional knife, but is it worth the occasional twinge that I'm in a definite minority among those with whom I'm socializing?

I will add that my wife supports my decision to CC a handgun, so that's not an issue. She also has a handgun on her person or near her bed (a S&W 642 with five Hornady Lite hollow points), which eliminates a potential conflict with her.

Thanks for the input.
While I sense an underlying question, I will try to present something more thoughtful than a, seemingly, knee-jerk response.

I spent months considering the balance of carrying, the inherent responsibility, my life experiences to-date, and my level of commitment and ability. As one who tends to overthink things I take this discussion with extreme seriousness akin to any vow I will make. Based on the above factors, I believe there is a decline in potential enjoyment.

The decline is not negative. As a father, I am aware of my surroundings and my families safety while remaining to have fun. In time, I find that I derive greater pleasure from my children being able to have complete freedom of enjoyment. They can, for short a duration, go completely nuts and be reckless. It is critical for their development to be able to push beyond limitations in all aspects of life and having the ability to provide a safe place, when the were young, provides me with great enjoyment.
I use the prior as an example to say that what I truly enjoy continues to shift and evolve (mature?) .

A counter is that I find my 'reckless' moments require some planning on my part. So to that degree, one might say it is a decrease due to the lack of spontaneity. But, consider that the higher moments of life have an increase sense of joy as a result of its rarity. Ironically, some of my best moments now happen at the range where I have met some great people and feel safe enough to enjoy some of the 'funnest', most enjoyable moments. Similarly, when my family visits we have increased enjoyable moments as there is a sense of safety.

Probably not the best answer but the enjoyment of life changes as we live and grow. There is discomfort when learning and developing new skills, but that is one of the highlights of being alive.

Registered
Nope...and I鈥檓 not gonna over think it...because overthinking it just might cause me to not enjoy the moment.

In truth, the parts of my life where I regret missed opportunities and enjoyment, can鈥檛 be blamed on my carrying or not carrying a gun one way or another.

I think for most people the deciding factor is simply physical comfort (or belief system), but so often we aren鈥檛 comfortable admitting that (even to ourselves), so we philosophize and justify.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #66
I'm glad this post has touched a philosophical nerve among the DC community. Thanks for participating.

There are other, related topics that I've been pondering as of late. I'll bring them up in future threads.

Life's experience affects world view affects thought processes affects planning affects actions ... like carrying a lethal weapon even though one's rational (?) mind says, "nothing to worry about."

Pondering these things is a serious matter because the results of using a lethal weapon are quite serious, in my opinion. Those who have done so in combat, LEO work or personal conflict can address their feelings about it much better than me, who has led a relatively sheltered, and blessed, life to this point.

More to follow ...

Registered
Carpe diem. Seize the moment.

As I get older (months from 70), I wonder at times if my threat awareness and CC-ing a firearm is having a negative effect on my ability to enjoy the moments of life that are uniquely mine and meant to be relished.

There have been many times, before the pandemic, when I would go places where people were laughing and having a great time with others in their peer group, or their children and grandchildren. It didn't take much of an examination to confirm there was no way most of them could even conceal a firearm (tucked shirts, shorts, flip-flops, etc.) and I wondered if my Glock under my shirt was overkill.

Anyone else occasionally feel this way?
I carry my wallet; I carry car keys... my phone; I carry a Glock 26. None of them are overkill when you need them. It's not a good feeling to need something and know you've left it behind. So I just don't go there.

Registered
I don鈥檛 allow a gun to ruin or interfere with life; kinda defeats the purpose.
I switch up when one gets to be a burden to carry. I am as capable with a j frame as I am a G26 or 1911, so I stay with those three and alternate as I feel like it.
On some occasions I don鈥檛 carry anything, but not very often.

Registered
I don鈥檛 allow a gun to ruin or interfere with life; kinda defeats the purpose.
I switch up when one gets to be a burden to carry. I am as capable with a j frame as I am a G26 or 1911, so I stay with those three and alternate as I feel like it.
On some occasions I don鈥檛 carry anything, but not very often.
Ditto. I generally stick with an outfit similar to that size wise. But I do feel guilty when I leave the snub revolver at home ( not very often ).

Registered
Overkill - in this state of mind BUT
you are to protect loved ones so simply change your carry to something less BUT
enough to scare or stop a threat away.
Strong: LCR357 in pocket holster
OK: S.A. Hellcat in pocket holster
Weak: Any other bug gun in pocket holster - Genitron.com can help you

Registered
Does carrying a gun limit my enjoyment? No!!

To put it another way, living in "White" is perhaps more "fun" but it comes with a potentially BIG price. Living in "Red" will make you paranoid and give you ulcers. Remaining aware of your surroundings and paying attention to your gut allows us to more fully enjoy the moments of pleasure that life gives us.

An additional facet to this is that a number of us here are older and more "seasoned" and often due to our mileage, we have medical issues that would potentially make us better targets for the criminals out there on the prowl. Being armed and aware of our surroundings gives us a potential unexpected edge....so this actually enhances my ability to enjoy the moment.

Registered
No. I was under threat by some malefactors back in the 90s over the actions of someone I had no control over so I started carrying full time. Never have stopped. No regrets.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts