Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad went through his carry class this past Saturday at a gun range that also does training. While he was there he wanted to purchase some ammo. They wouldn't sell him more than 50 rounds. They told him it was an "ATF mandate" that you could "only purchase one box of ammo".

Not knowing any better my dad believed them. I'm fairly certain they flat out lied to him but wanted to make sure.

If they lied, I'll never return to that range and I'll make sure my dad doesn't either.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not aware of any ATF ammo limit mandate.
Most stores here have a limit so that it gives a chance for more people to buy some instead of one guy coming in and cleaning off the shelves so no no else gets any.
I am calling BS.
I'm perfectly fine with the range having that rule, however saying it's from the ATF is super shady.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Some people order ammo by the case, 500 / 1,000 rounds and have it shipped to their door.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
My dad went through his carry class this past Saturday at a gun range that also does training. While he was there he wanted to purchase some ammo. They wouldn't sell him more than 50 rounds. They told him it was an "ATF mandate" that you could "only purchase one box of ammo".

Not knowing any better my dad believed them. I'm fairly certain they flat out lied to him but wanted to make sure.

If they lied, I'll never return to that range and I'll make sure my dad doesn't either.
They lied. The truth would have been much simpler and less confusing.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Foolish attempt to put the monkey on someone else's back.

·
Registered
36,177 Posts
Reactions: Melvin and OldChap

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It might be nothing more than an employee who overheard something said, took it as fact, and started repeating it to customers.

It could be an employee or range owner who is tired of endless arguments with people who want to clean out his shelves.

Ammo sales are a profit center for range operators. Fewer people will be paying for range time if there is no ammo available, so when the ammo shelves are empty the overall business volume may drop.

BS is still BS, and business must be based on trust. I think I would contact the range owner, advise him of the situation, and allow him to respond to it accordingly.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a FFL. I am sure I would of heard about this. Yet I have not received any notification. And the ATF was just at my place going over my "Books". Which they do every so often.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,383 Posts
Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!

Reactions: Melvin and ctr

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
BS is still BS, and business must be based on trust. I think I would contact the range owner, advise him of the situation, and allow him to respond to it accordingly.
And make sure the owner knows that being lied to has cost him your future business! No good can come from posting things like this on forums but not addressing them in person where the actual problem is.

Reactions: Kilowatt3

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Many stores both in person and online are limiting ammo sales to 1 cases or 5 boxs or 50 rounds or whatever ..Nothing to do with the feds just the supply lines are overwheld and they cant keep stock in ..

Very much bull crap to say its a fed rule ..I am pretty sure that if the feds had said you can only buy 50 rounds at a time or a month we would have heard something about it lol..

I think some states or cities may have laws like this maybe CA or the like but its not a federal thing

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
And the .45 is a guaranteed blow-the-perp-to-the-ground, one-shot-stop.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Integrity matters. The business owner should be asked. If he or she spouts the same nonsense without proof it's from the ATF then they'd get no further business from me.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
As others have said, it’s not true.

Supposedly though, the shortage isn’t all related to people stockpiling. There are issues with worker shortages in lead and copper mining operations due to COVID. So the whole ammo supply chain down to the raw materials is impacted.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think I would contact the range owner, advise him of the situation, and allow him to respond to it accordingly.
^^^ This is the correct answer to your question.

Ask him the same question directly: Is there a limit imposed by BATFE on the amount of ammo a customer can purchase. See what he says. Ask for proof. Give the owner a chance to know what's going on in his shop with his employees that he may not know about or the opportunity to correct his own faulty behavior.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts