Defensive Carry banner

Has widespread civil unrest changed how or what you carry?

19K views 141 replies 111 participants last post by  Pete63 
#1 ·
Recently the news has been filled with numerous incidents of legitimate protests being commandeered by people looking to take advantage of the situation. There have been many reported assaults, looting, etc reported in the news, with Police forces too overwhelmed to stop it.

Luckily most of these situations are easily avoided, but I do have a nagging fear in the back of my mind that I could end up with my family in the car cornered someplace we can't escape from easily. That nagging doubt has made me wonder about my current carry load.

Typically, I carry a P365 (with thumb safety) in a 12+1 config OR a G29 10+1. I keep the spare 10 rounder in my pocket, or a mag holder on my best. For my NORMAL risk profile of a mugger, or opportunistic drug user threatening my family, I think this is MORE than sufficient. The idea of being cornered with my family in the middle of an angry mob in a full-scale riot unable to escape though makes me rethink this. I'm starting to consider carrying my M&P 2.0 or G19 with one or two spare mags instead, till things settle down again.

TL;DR: Has anyone made any changes to how or what they carry due civil unrest in your area?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have always carried my 1911 on my hip and a .38 snubbie in an ankle holster.
Only change I have made is adding one extra mag for the .45 for a total of 3 and
I now keep an AR-15 in my Jeep while driving which of course comes in the house overnight.

#67 ·
I now keep an AR-15 in my Jeep while driving which of course comes in the house overnight.
I wish I had an understanding domestic situation like you apparently have. My wife would NEVER let me keep a Jeep in the house.

#12 ·
I'm not planning on getting anywhere NEAR any rioting or even peaceful demonstrations, so my carry hasn't changed. Not going to any cities or even larger towns right now. Crime in this tiny village is basically nonexistent.

I have 7 loaded handguns, extra mags, shotgun ready to roll, etc. in the house all within reach (no children here). If anybody not wearing a badge comes up my driveway and tries to come in here, all bets are off. I don't care which "side" they're on.

#14 ·
Yes , we had to take a drive to a nearby city that has been on the news for the past few days ,

I shelved my 1911 & J-frame and replaced it with with a Glock-23 & Sig 365 .

#16 ·
Nope.

I still carry a PF9 or LCP for those times I have no other choice of concealment. Other times it is mainly the P320 as my primary thougk sometimes I will carry the G2c. Both of those are carried with a spare mag.

I have taken the AR pistol out of the safe though so far the closest protests to me have been 3 miles from home and they were small in numbers.

Reactions: Chaplain Scott
#17 ·
Naw! I still carry my main EDC the HK 45c w/3 extra 12 rd magazines. In my truck , in my "go bag" while I am rolling; I keep my HK VP9 loaded w/15 rd mag but w/3 extra 20 rd mags and with 2ea boxes of .45 ammo and 2ea boxes of 9mm ammo. Needless to say, I never fear getting trapped or cornered anywhere. :image035:

#20 ·
Recently the news has been filled with numerous incidents of legitimate protests being commandeered by people looking to take advantage of the situation. There have been many reported assaults, looting, etc reported in the news, with Police forces too overwhelmed to stop it.

Luckily most of these situations are easily avoided, but I do have a nagging fear in the back of my mind that I could end up with my family in the car cornered someplace we can't escape from easily. That nagging doubt has made me wonder about my current carry load.

Typically, I carry a P365 (with thumb safety) in a 12+1 config OR a G29 10+1. I keep the spare 10 rounder in my pocket, or a mag holder on my best. For my NORMAL risk profile of a mugger, or opportunistic drug user threatening my family, I think this is MORE than sufficient. The idea of being cornered with my family in the middle of an angry mob in a full-scale riot unable to escape though makes me rethink this. I'm starting to consider carrying my M&P 2.0 or G19 with one or two spare mags instead, till things settle down again.

TL;DR: Has anyone made any changes to how or what they carry due civil unrest in your area?
No, I was carrying with rioting in mind before the rioting began.

#22 ·
While I have gone to carrying an extra BUG when out and about... if I'm in my car I already have a several thousand pound safe space that will be more effective against threats than a pistol or 3 and all I need do is push on the gas pedal.

#23 ·
No.

Civil unrest won't spread out here because none of the cowardly creep-a-zoids would dare come this far into the hinterlands of Texas. If they dared to do so they would "draw back a nub." Law enforcement in this region suffers from none of the impediments we're seeing on the news that bedevils agencies in sordid leftist communities. If I have to go into Dallas/Fort Worth over the weekend I may tote an extra M1 Carbine with spare magazine in the car. I won't be going anywhere while there that will include leaving the car with the Carbine inside.

#28 ·
Well, I’m always spouting off about how I only carry and shoot J-Frames. I have reloads for both and trust my reliable revolver. Things got pretty wild in Downtown Cleveland, Ohio. There was talk of problems spreading to the Suburbs. I have to admit, after all my bragging about my J-Frame reliability, I loaded up my Glock 26. I have a combination of mags 17, 19, and 26 totaling about 124 rounds. I loaded everything. I have been keeping them available. I even carried the Glock a bit. Actually I kind of missed it. I think things are fading around here and I’m carrying the J-Frames today but, I’m not putting away the Glock for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.