Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
You EDC is more than I expected when I clicked this thread. :congrats:

I've carried a Glock 19/23 + spare mag minimum regardless of location or time of day for awhile, frequently bigger (Glock 20SF/35/41) but not smaller.

If I had to defend myself, a Glock 19/23 is the minimum I'd want in hand, wherever.
In other words, there is nowhere I'd rather defend myself with a 38 snub or 380 than a Glock 19/23 and I carry accordingly.
Anticipated threat? Yes, I anticipate that I'd rather defend myself against a threat(s) with a Glock 19/23 than anything lesser.

There is also a PM9 as a 2nd option* in my weak hand front pocket.
*Option to put my hand on it without revealing I'm carrying and/or quickly access a pistol with my weak hand; neither of which is afforded by the Glock thats IWB.

So, no I've not increased my carry due to recent events. I was already doing it right.
Just curious how you feel that you can defend yourself with 31 round of 9mm but have no chance with 21 if you carried a G26
Not what I said, I didn't mention a Glock 26.
I have a Glock 26, but I like the 19 grip better, and shoot it better (quicker); the 26 would be a fine pick under a 10 round limit, but I aint under a 10 round limit.
Under a 10 round limit, Glock 26/27/30SF - top picks.
We don't have a mag limit either but I do not feel unprepared with a G26 at all.
Good for you?
I have no reason to carry smaller than a Glock 19/23.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Not one bit. I carry for light, fast, effective.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Recently the news has been filled with numerous incidents of legitimate protests being commandeered by people looking to take advantage of the situation. There have been many reported assaults, looting, etc reported in the news, with Police forces too overwhelmed to stop it.

Luckily most of these situations are easily avoided, but I do have a nagging fear in the back of my mind that I could end up with my family in the car cornered someplace we can't escape from easily. That nagging doubt has made me wonder about my current carry load.

Typically, I carry a P365 (with thumb safety) in a 12+1 config OR a G29 10+1. I keep the spare 10 rounder in my pocket, or a mag holder on my best. For my NORMAL risk profile of a mugger, or opportunistic drug user threatening my family, I think this is MORE than sufficient. The idea of being cornered with my family in the middle of an angry mob in a full-scale riot unable to escape though makes me rethink this. I'm starting to consider carrying my M&P 2.0 or G19 with one or two spare mags instead, till things settle down again.

TL;DR: Has anyone made any changes to how or what they carry due civil unrest in your area?
Not really. 5 shot .38 snub, or 7 shot XDS 9mm. If I perceive a need to carry something larger, I will.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Not yet...

Nothing in my area has resembled any sort of wide spread violence. Stay out of the six-block radius surrounding the Colorado Capitol Building at Colfax & Broadway in Denver and everything has been pretty calm.

The nearest protests in Boulder have been pretty benign.

I actually was traveling more up-armed 7 weeks ago when rolling on the deserted mountain highways at night, running supplies to my quarantined brother and his wife. We actually had an attempted car jacking in one of the remote canyons early one morning- luckily the driver was armed and escaped.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Lack of recent range sessions, due to the public health “emergency,” already had me packing heavy, as my shooting skills with my GP100 revolvers, and similar Speed Sixes, are the least-perishable, of all of my handguns. My Glocks may hold more rounds, but they require the most training, to stay street-relevant, so they are mothballed, at the moment.

It is at home, where I have taken extra precautions. Being a retired LEO has raised my threat profile, as I was involved in a fatal line-of-duty shooting, in the Nineties, and the internet has stripped us of our privacy. I could be “doxed.” What happens, next, could be unpleasant.

I had bought my own body armor, better than what was issued, so am not without armor. My Level IIIa “tac” vest, designed to be quickly-donned, is near at hand, right now, and I can armor-up, by stepping into the next room. Otherwise, I would rather not say anything further. OPSEC!

We live in a small city, in Texas, but it is surrounded by Houston.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
My wife once ask how many weapons I carried and I answered 3 why ? she answered do you need to and yes was my answer. She ask me today what happens if this gets worse and I said remember what the code words are because there is no retreat for us because we are not mobile enough and they are not smart enough. She then ask what about when I go to get her meds and I said why do you think I limp so bad. True story I was always told carry enough no matter where you go and at home, in my past some fellas came to my house because I put them in jail, another time we were at a bike rally and a guy came up to my wife and I and ask how was I doing and I replied good, he moved on and my wife ask who he was and again I said I put him in jail for drug trafficking and attempted murder. Always carry enough to protect self and family and to get home, carry does not mean your going to use it means I will use it if I need to. I do have a lot of scars from my past.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Not really, maybe an extra mag sometimes in the backpack...but I still avoid any area where "civil unrest" would be happening. There is a reason I live in the country.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
No. I still avoid stupid places with stupid people.
Agreed. I firmly believe in that saying:

The best way to win a gunfight is to not be there when it starts.

However, I also understand that while I live out in the country the bad guys have cars so while not being where the bad guys are is my first concern being prepared if they come to where I am is my second concern.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Still pocket carry my LCP all day, but if we go out for a takeout place, a curbside grocery run, or a drive in the country, the Ruger SP101 .357 rides in a convenient slot out of sight. However we live in a safe suburb, so not much chance of inner city rioters coming out here.

If by some freak chance we got cornered and attacked at an intersection, the first two or three shots fired will scatter a mob away.

If it did get bad and we really had to be out (unlikely), I’d be totin’ my Ruger SR9 with a couple extra mags filled with Federal 124gr. +p HST.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Going to Madison the 10th. Payton has a doctors appointment. There will be a light AR15 with Redot and 30 rounds in the sidecar next to me. 100% legal here long as I have a CC. Little something Walker added for us when passing CC.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, but not because of the most recent events.

I transitioned to hi-cap pistols, and an AR or Shock Wave just under the back seat, whenever going to higher population areas back when Odumbo started fanning the fires and siccing his DOJ on LEAs several years ago. That’s when race relations got set back 60 years, and things became more dangerous for normal folks just going about their business.

My EDC around here is generally a 1911 with two reloads, or a hi-cap with at least one. The 12 gauge Shock Wave lives in my truck.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Keep a semi auto long gun & extra ammo close to hand now. Probably should have been doing that all along anyhow.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts