Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happened to me a few weeks ago still haunts me today. I dont know why.

A few weeks ago I went out of town with a friend who didn't know I carried. I don't know, he just never put two and two together. We ended up staying over night at a hotel and my friend suddenly noticed that I was carrying when I pulled off my shirt for a shower. His reaction was priceless and made me feel all warm and fuzzy. "Has that thing been on you ALL DAY?!" :hand10: He had no idea.

Anyway, in the morning, as I was getting dressed I put my gun in its holster like any other morning and threw my shirt over top. His comment still bothers me. "I bet you feel 10 feet tall with that thing on your hip." He didn't mean any harm, but I felt the need to defend myself against it.

"No! I have been carrying ever since I turned 21! Its for my safety." Which is totally true. I don't carry and then act like I am invincible or strut around like I can kick anyone butt.:comeandgetsome: I feel like I didn't have a good enough answer for that comment. It still haunts me today.

Has anyone else ever been confronted by this situation? If so, how did you handle it? or how would you handle it?

Thanks for all your input!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Don't let it bother you. It was most likely just a comment on how *he* would feel with a gun on his hip, rather than a comment about you.

Until someone straps on a weapon, they won't feel or know anything about the immense sense of responsibility that comes with it.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Apparently you weren't acting 10' tall ALL DAY or he would have commented on that too...I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I feel like I didn't have a good enough answer for that comment. It still haunts me today.
The ignorance of others doesn't "haunt" me, no. The worst penalties of ignorance are often felt by those who are. He's the sort that gets robbed/invaded and end up without a clue as to how he got selected or could have stopped it.

Generally, I try to educate the person, showing the misstep or error. But, often as not, folks will simply retain their preconceived notions and ignore what you have to say. Depends on how ingrained the prejudice is.

How do I feel? For me, it is like putting on shoes or grabbing the wallet. It's just another tool I take with me, to survive the day. But, it's also the power to take life, misdirected though criminals' lives might be. That, I don't strap on lightly. The responsibility that comes with doing so goes with me every day.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I forget I have a gun most of the time unless something makes me think about it

·
Registered
631 Posts
There is a huge responsibility and an enormous liability that goes with carrying a firearm. This requires that I act in a certain fashion. That does NOT include acting "tough" or "brave" or feeling "invincible."

I am a quiet man who seeks nothing more than to be peaceful.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Handguns are a hot button for some people... as soon as it's mentioned or seen they're like Pavlov's Dogs. :blink: Without engaging their brains, they respond the way they have been conditioned to, good or bad.
It's not their fault and it's not personal from their perspective.

Opinions about handguns tend to be attached to a lot of emotion too, and that comes from a person's core or identity so anything you say or do in opposition they're beliefs will be received as a personal criticism of who they perceive themselves to be.

So just let it go Avenger, you probably couldn't have come up with any response that would have had the result you may have wanted.

People are just too complicated! :tongue:

Semper Fi

·
Registered
635 Posts
Don't let it bother you. It was most likely just a comment on how *he* would feel with a gun on his hip, rather than a comment about you.

Until someone straps on a weapon, they won't feel or know anything about the immense sense of responsibility that comes with it.
True...True..!!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Let it go... I think that is the typical sheep reaction... just because you are armed, there's gonna be trouble...

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Sounds like your friend has been reading too many Brady Campaign press releases. Contrary to how they like to paint permit holders, we don't get a big macho rush from carrying a weapon for protection. Don't let what he said worry you.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey my wifey thinks only cops should have guns. This morning she told me to choose between her and the gun....she told me she hopes Sottomayor bans all guns.

I still carry. My neighbourhood is too dangerous not to.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
IMHO, the most "haunting" thing is the clear case of transference.

The unconscious assignment to others of feelings and attitudes tends to underlie most anti-whatever laws.

If someone doesn't trust themselves with whatever (guns, alcohol, etc) they want to have the government protect them (and everyone else) from it -- through prohibition.

If someone says, "You must feel....", it means that's what they would feel.

It even shows up in questions, e.g., such as those "Do you because...?, with limited options where those are the only options they consider valid.

The haunt is not about you. It's what you learned about your friend.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
You should have just simply asked him, "have I been acting like I'm ten feet tall"? I don't know how long both of you have known each other, but it seems he might have been offended at not being let in on your secret sooner. I think what might be bothering you, is that you expected a different reaction from someone you consider a friend. He overreacted IMO.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey my wifey thinks only cops should have guns. This morning she told me to choose between her and the gun....she told me she hopes Sottomayor bans all guns.

I still carry. My neighbourhood is too dangerous not to.
I guess you'll miss her?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Many non gun type people just don't get it. Never will.
oldogy

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Hey my wifey thinks only cops should have guns. This morning she told me to choose between her and the gun.
She's got problems that she mistakenly believes will be resolved via removal of your family's ability to defend itself. You've both got a problem, if she's willing to blackmail your family's future safety for this.

·
Registered
529 Posts
1. I wouldn't worry about it. Your friend is probably comfortable with you and said the first thing that came to his mind.

I was in Filipino martial arts with a friend who was from Chicago. We were training partners and grappled, stick fought, We'd train with knives, double knives- anything you could think of using. One day I pulled my IWB holster off & put my holstered gun into my duffel bag. He was freaked out! It's like I had a suitcase nuke or something. He was raised believing that the only people who have a gun are police.

When we went to lunch together, he asked me to unload it. I laughed and ask "why?" He said that he didn't want it going off in his car... (wow)

Eventually he got used to the idea, but believed me to be some red neck gun militia nut.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Eventually he got used to the idea, but believed me to be some red neck gun militia nut.
Like that's a bad thing? :rofl:

J/K bro!

·
Registered
149 Posts
1. I wouldn't worry about it. Your friend is probably comfortable with you and said the first thing that came to his mind.

I was in Filipino martial arts with a friend who was from Chicago. . . He was raised believing that the only people who have a gun are police.

The key there is he was from Chicago, the people there are brainwashed. :aargh4:

Original point, as said your friend was just comfortable enough with you that he said the first thing that came to his mind. Don't give it another thought. :smile:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts