Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Glock 19 for home defense, and I rotate a 26 and 43 for carry. I just bought a P365 that may or may not break into that rotation and it all depends on if I can get the light primer strikes figured out.

I still feel like I need a full size handgun for home defense. I shoot the 19 great, but I can’t help be feel like the 17 would just be a little better.

Is a 17 even worth it given I like the 19 just fine???

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha yes you guys are right. Need has nothing to do with it. Let’s rephrase it...would a 17 gain me anything in my collection I dont already have?

·
Premium Member
33,747 Posts
Haha yes you guys are right. Need has nothing to do with it. Let’s rephrase it...would a 17 gain me anything in my collection I dont already have?
Yes, a full-sized Glock 9mm.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's capacity you're worried about, get a 33 rounder.
Not necessarily worried about capacity, but moreso concerned with getting a gun with a longer barrel to help make it a little easier for my wife....and me too.

I guess I have this notion that a longer barrel equals better shooter under duress for the lesser trained of us.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
You MUST get a G20 & a G41, OR YOU WILL NEVER SHOOT WELL!

Reactions: svgheartland

·
Registered
170 Posts
After shooting a 43 a lot recently, I shot the 19 and was dead-on with it. Haven't shot a 17 so I can't comment on the difference, but if you're shooting the 19 well I would stick with that.

Then again, you can never have too many...

·
Registered
65 Posts
No, just grab some G17 mags or the 33 rounder or some of the new 24 rounders and some mag sleeves. Now you have essentially a G19X which is a 17 frame with a 19 slide. And yes my petite wife and 2 daughters shoot the 19X comfortably.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
A longer barrel is nice, but personally, the grip shape of the 19/23 fits my hand much better than that of the 17, and that outweighs the extra 3/4" of barrel by a lot.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
If a g26 isn’t enough, a 19 won’t be, so the 17 gives you 2 more rounds, but that may not do it either so get an AR with a 30 round mag, but if that doesn’t do it......ad infinite on the merry go round.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
It depends.... If I am going to carry something larger than a G-19 it will be something in .45acp! I will take the liberty to suggest a G-30 instead of a G-17. Just my .02 worth!

*edit: I always shot my G-19 better than a G-17 and I shoot a G-30 even better!:image035:

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
There is nothing that I can do with a G19 or 17, that I cannot accomplish with the G26.

And if I’m going to full size, I’m going up in caliber too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
More stopping power due to higher velocity. More accurate. Just the better gun if you can deal with the increased weight and bulk.

·
Super Moderator
23,211 Posts
Honestly, no, you do not need a G 17.

A G 19 is fine.

You might consider a rifle for home defense actually, as that could well be a better choice in many situations. Consider a rifle caliber pistol.:scratchchin:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Personal choice that no one can make for you.

I had a Glock 17 and will never own another or any other full sized Glock. That is my personal choice. I have had several 19s of various generations and currently have two Gen 4s. Glock 19s are not "full sized guns". Glock calls them compacts but, myself and many others consider them "mid-sized guns".

OP, good luck with your choice. Either are good handgunning choices for the individual who prefers one or the other.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would go with a G34. My two carry Glocks are a G35 .40 S&W and a G40 10mm. If I bought another one, it would be a G41 .45 ACP.

I agree why not get a G34 if you want a longer barrel the G17 is bigger than the G19 but not by much go with the G34 since you already covered with the g26 and 43 for carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 52 Posts