Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I asked the same thing. What I came to was the G34 made more since. The 17 you gain half inch of barrel length over the 19. You gain 1.3” to jump to the 34 same grip as the 17 same capacity longer sight radius gives fast acquisition. I carry a G19 off duty almost exclusively. The G34 is the one which I carry at work daily.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
There is nothing that I can do with a G19 or 17, that I cannot accomplish with the G26.

And if I’m going to full size, I’m going up in caliber too.
^^^THIS!^^^

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Haha yes you guys are right. Need has nothing to do with it. Let’s rephrase it...would a 17 gain me anything in my collection I dont already have?
I'm late to your discussion - but I would recommend you buy a Glock 23 (or even a G22). Then you can do the magic trick by adding a 9mm conversion barrel and a .357 Sig stock barrel from a G32 (or aftermarket stock barrel), and have three different calibers in one gun. Later, you can get a G27 and use those extra barrels to give you two guns that can be adapted to whatever need (okay or just want) with those other calibers.

One note: the full size can be adapted as above, but the barrels will not work on the mid and baby Glocks. The mid (23) size barrels work in the baby (27). You cannot do that with the 19. You can only go from a large caliber to a similar or smaller caliber. Hope that makes sense. :embarassed:

Let me add my vote to what @glockman10mm said: If you go to a full sized Glock, go for a G20 or G21. You can do the same kind of barrel change tricks and have a really powerful defense gun.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I’m dealing with a similar decision. I have a Gen 4 26 and am considering a Gen 5 19. But my decision is focused on my “southpawness”. I need something ambidextrous.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
As for me, I waited till Gen3 and acquired a G17 then a G19. I still have both but they have been displaced by S&W Gen1 MP9 and 9c. Nothing bad to say about either Glock. I just liked the hand grip interface with the S&W MP9 series pistol better. When I shot cast bullets, it was KKM replacement barrels as opposed to the OEM Glock barrels. The OEM Glock sights were replaced with 10-8 U-notch rear sight and a front night sight.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Unless I just enjoyed collecting glocks, I wouldn't get a 17 if I had a 19. The only glock I own is a 26. I always figured I'd get a 19 someday. Never have. I like the 26 that much. I own and shoot several full sized handguns in the 3 major defensive calibers and shoot my 26 more than any of em. I don't necesarilly shoot it more because I'm "training". I just enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Let’s rephrase it...would a 17 gain me anything in my collection I dont already have?
No.
19, 26, 43, 365, you have summer carry, winter carry, home defense plus some backups covered. Seems to me your collection has enough plastic and utility. Time to class it up and buy something for the joy of owning and shooting it -- Colt 1911, S&W 357 or a classic series Sig. Something made out of metal with grips made from something previously alive and a great trigger.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
I thought about buying a 17 and went with a 34 instead. I think having the 19, the 34 is the better option. You don't need it, but you'll like it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
No, just grab some G17 mags or the 33 rounder or some of the new 24 rounders and some mag sleeves. Now you have essentially a G19X which is a 17 frame with a 19 slide. And yes my petite wife and 2 daughters shoot the 19X comfortably.
I have lots of Glocks, carry a G19 always. One spare G17 magazine also. In a rapid mag change, as in IDPA competition, the G19 mag. pinches my hand, not so the G17 one. But not to forget, most malfunctions with pistols, of the self loading type IE Glock 19, are caused by somthing to do with the magazine, so have a spare.

And I like the finger grooves on my G19 Gen 4.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a G34, G17, G19, G26 and the 17 is shot the least and the 19 and 34 shot the most. I came here to post about your light primer strikes. What is your DOB on your 365? It is on the side of the box on the white label. Take out your striker and clean it and the channel. It needs to be bone dry both the entire striker assembly and the channel. You can use contact cleaner or brake cleaner (the non flammable kind) Use Q tips for the channel with cleaner on it

·
Registered
655 Posts
I guess I have this notion that a longer barrel equals better shooter under duress for the lesser trained of us.
A larger capacity magazine will offset the misses for less trained and dim light. Just keep pulling the trigger like Yosemite Sam.

I have a Glock 26 but also every magazine made for Glock in either doubles or triples except for the 33 round magazine which is the only 33 round I have.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Find a range that has a 17 for rent and see if you and the mrs like it....might also consider a pistol caliber carbine (or pistol caliber ar/ak pistol) which will give you a better sight radius then the 17 would

*edited to clarify ar/ak Pistol

21 - 40 of 52 Posts