Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my j frame the other day, I was talking to the guy about a galco side scabard holster they had. I mentioned the stiff leather, and he said he likes to stick the holster ( gun inside ) in the oven at about 140degrees for an hour to get it softer and molded to the gun.
He even said it's ok to leave the rounds in, as long as the temp doesn't get above about 140.
I don't care what he said, I would never purposely heat my rounds like that, but was just wondering if anyone has actually initiated their gun/holster combo by fire like that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't play with fire.. it smells like trouble to me. Measure your pros and cons before you do something. Him telling you to leave the rounds in there as well says a lot to me. Don't take advice from someone who gives bad advice.

·
Registered
342 Posts
hmm....

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Soak the leather in warm water then put your piece in a thin plastic bag (Bread bag?) and put it into the holster. Let it dry overnight.

Worked for me.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I can't comment on the leather but it will not hurt the gun at all. Leaving the ammo in although they will not go off at 140 degrees is not a good practice.

I have baked all my handguns with Militec1, it is a recommended procedure.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Which barbeque sauce do you bast it with? :smile:

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
While I know that ammo wont just spontaneously go off in that temperature range, still doesn't seem like the best idea. I'd go with whatever Galco's reccomendation on getting the holster to fit is.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Tell your friend to purchase a good quality holster, they are molded to your exact model handgun.

Michael

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Myth Busters did a special on people hiding there gun in the oven and forgeting about and cooking supper. When they worked thier way up to the 44 mag things got nasty. But at 140 f you would not be much hotter than a car with the windows rolled up in Mississippi in the summer. I still would not do it with ammo in it.

·
Super Moderator
24,470 Posts
Personally, it sounds like bullhockey to me, as well as wetting a holster. Buy quality leather and neither is needed. Sounds like a great way to ruin leather.

Break in holsters using the makers recommendations.

·
Administrator
144,040 Posts
I'd pretend that you never heard that helpful advice. :dead:
That makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Good holsters are usually moulded properly, but when they are extremely tight I soak mine with rubbing alcohol, properly seat the gun in the holster and bone or knead it with a smooth deer antler or my hands. The alcohol will dry quickly and not harm the weapon or the leather. Leave the weapon holstered for a day or two and it should fit your gun properly.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
A frying pan is quicker...be sure to use some Pam...:rofl:

Every Fist holster I have purchased came a little tight, 200+ draws and the holsters are perfect...no 'extra' cooking for me.:nono:

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
You'll hear all kinds of stupid things in a gun shop! :rolleyes:

Working in a gun shop doesn't make you a gun expert any more than going to Mc Donald's makes you a Big Mac! :wink:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
When I bought my j frame the other day, I was talking to the guy about a galco side scabard holster they had. I mentioned the stiff leather, and he said he likes to stick the holster ( gun inside ) in the oven at about 140degrees for an hour to get it softer and molded to the gun.
He even said it's ok to leave the rounds in, as long as the temp doesn't get above about 140.
I don't care what he said, I would never purposely heat my rounds like that, but was just wondering if anyone has actually initiated their gun/holster combo by fire like that.
(1) it will take much, much more than 140 degrees for the ammo to rupture, it does not "go off". Been proved rather decisively by the MythBusters.

(2) putting a gun in the oven for any reason is stupid.

(3) baking a holster is stupid.

(4) Your friend is stupid - and dangerous.

(5) find new shooting friends

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I cannot tell you what to do or not, but I never should follow and advise like that. The ammo will not go off at that temp, but it still is a VERY BAD practice not matter what! Why not get a quality holster molded to your weapon? Now, the other question is, should a person that gives an advice like that own a weapon at all?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The method I have found that works best for me is to wrap 2-3 layers of plastic wrap around the gun and force it into the holster leaving it there for a couple of days.

Just like a new pair of shoes, you have to stretch it a little bit to get a good fit.

·
Administrator
144,040 Posts
fwellers did not state anywhere in his post that the person giving him that advice was his friend.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This bonehead sounds like my cousin when we were kids.
I leave the house one day to go for a walk with his brother. As we're leaving hes walking around with a propane torch and a shotgun shell and said something about an experiment of some sort.
As we're about 150-200 yards up the hill I guess the experiment went horribly wrong based on the small explosion we heard from the house.
Gun powder and heat dont mix ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts