Defensive Carry banner

Have you ever had to draw or shoot your weapon in self-defense?

• Total voters
501 - 520 of 561 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Drawn?? maybe. I shot and killed a rabid fox who came after us on a golf course in PA. I had the gun in a pocket of my golf bag. The fox gave us plenty of warning just sitting there watching us. Normally these are very reclusive animals and avoid all contact with humans. We sort of drove up the cart path past him and were maybe within 20' of him, followed the path around the backside of the tee-box and drove up to the tee markers. When we got out of our carts and we're reaching for our drivers he decides to come over our way. Killed him with a load of 000 buckshot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did have to draw my Springfield XDs 9mm on a couple of idiots looking through windows of other houses. They were between my house and the neighbors house and I had my wife call 911. I confronted them, asking them what they were doing. It was two men. One of them had his hands in his hoodie pocket and I asked to see his hands and he asked me why. I drew my weapon and said "show me your hands now!" and they both complied and I held them there until the police arrived (10 minutes). Thank goodness I didn't have to shoot. Turns out that both of them had been arrested before for attempted burglary.

I pray I never have to draw my weapon ever again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Draw Firearm

If you are a CCW holder:

Have you ever had to draw and/or shoot your weapon in self-defense?
I have carried legally for over fifty years. The answer is twice, as a civilian. In 1965 I was walking home on a dark, deserted street, and I was alone, when three strangers appeared and demanded my wallet. I fired a war souvenir Beretta 1934 GT Gardone .380 into a telephone pole four feet away to make sure the three aggressors knew I had it. End of confrontation.

In December of 1996, on my way to an early evening business meeting, I encountered five teens robbing and beating a street musician very badly in downtown Seattle. I displayed a S&W model 36 revolver but did not fire it, as they retreated promptly while hurling obscenities. They were utterly contemptuous of threats to call the police, but quite anxious to avoid being shot. I read later in the paper about young teens of their description arrested for beating another street musician to death.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
NO! I have never had to draw or fire my CCW. And, prayerfully, I never will!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did have to draw my Springfield XDs 9mm on a couple of idiots looking through windows of other houses. They were between my house and the neighbors house and I had my wife call 911. I confronted them, asking them what they were doing. It was two men. One of them had his hands in his hoodie pocket and I asked to see his hands and he asked me why. I drew my weapon and said "show me your hands now!" and they both complied and I held them there until the police arrived (10 minutes). Thank goodness I didn't have to shoot. Turns out that both of them had been arrested before for attempted burglary.

I pray I never have to draw my weapon ever again.
Not to sound like a jerk, but not going after people you are suspicious of sounds like a good plan to keep you from drawing your weapon.

Be aware of potential danger and call the cops. If THEY come to you you will be prepared. YOU went to them. Not a wise choice. You put yourself at greater risk. If they did have a gun in their pocket with hands on, they are a much faster shot than you who had to draw.

All around you made mistakes. Thankfully you didn't discharge your weapon as you went to the perceived threat before they came to you.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I answered no as I've never drawn or fired while carrying, although I did draw a shotgun on someone one time.

I was about 19 and still living at home with my mother. We live in Florida and she was staying on one of the closer islands for a wedding. Not too far, but about an hour and a half or so away.

I bought my first gun, a shotgun, the day I turned 18. I had the house to myself. Naturally, I lock everything up extra tight that night due to being in a 2 story house all by myself.

My mother was always rather reckless with leaving doors and windows unlocked.

Between 2 and 3am, I hear a loud noise. I take my shotgun and step outside my bedroom door. From my bedroom door, I look down to the living room downstairs (upstairs was a bit of a loft with an open view of the whole first floor living and dining area) and I see a silhouette of a figure.

I rack a shell in and yell freeze. At this point, the figure immediately starts yelling in a voice familiar to me "SORRY DarthBojangles! It's me, AJ, your moms friend! She forgot her contact case and solution and asked for me to come get it. She's at the wedding hotel now, she told me the back slider would be unlocked!"

I knew the guy but he wasn't a super close family friend. Thankfully I recognized his voice. I felt terrible for scaring the crap out of him, but that's why you don't go breaking into peoples houses via popping their slider off the track. I don't care if you have permission from the home owner. You know someone is home. Knock on the daggum door! I'd have been inconvenienced but happy to help and wouldn't have almost had an ugly situation in the first place.

I berated my mother for at the very least not calling me. She knew I had a gun and knew I was home alone. I'm grateful that didn't end in tragedy.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you are a CCW holder:

Have you ever had to draw and/or shoot your weapon in self-defense?
The short answer is no, I have had to put my hand up and say stop, then put my hand on my gun and restate state, "STOP" twice, Both times they stopped abruptly stopped, put their hands in a defensive position and backed away slowly.

As with others I hope I never have to fire at someone but I will do what I have to given the situation.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Best I recall I've only drawn once as a civilian ccwr. That was backing a lone patrol officer clearing a liquor store on a window smash.
curious to the situation, did he know you, not to common an officer would put a civilian in that position.

·
Registered
305 Posts
So......I was told if you have to clear leather you better come up shootin'.......all these "Draw and no shots fired" senarios......now in retrospect, how many really drew their weapon prematurely....?
Seems like a lot.........
I will have to completely disagree, do you know how many people pull their gun and stop the threat by doing so? You are supposed to fire until the threat stops, If the threat stops by pulling your gun Firing would then make it an invalid shoot. I don't know who taught you to fire no matter what if you have to draw but I would like to talk to them on where their line of thinking is, or if you misunderstood them in some way.
You are able to think what you want but I seriously would like you to think about what I said and how EVERY draw could potentially be completely different than the next.
Another tid bit to think about, If you have 8 guys closing in on you and are holding a gun that holds 6 bullets are you going to draw firing waisting bullets that you potentially cannot stop 2 or even 3 or 4 guys? And of course you can say you carry a gun that holds 17 bullets but you may not all the time or this could be even a larger number of people. Things happen, no one answer covers every scenario.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have heard, if you pull it you had better be able or willing to use it.
This is why I wanted to actually talk to the person who told this to xXxplosive because I have a feeling as I have heard and said many times, "Never draw unless you are willing to shoot." Never point a gun at someone unless you are prepared/willing to shoot them. I have a hard time believing someone actually said something to the effect of "If you have to draw your gun make sure someone gets blown away."

·
Registered
305 Posts
And yes I screwed up it should be no draw no fire. I don't know how I clicked the wrong one I am having mouse issues. How do I change it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've Heard numerous times, if you draw your weapon you should shoot it . I do understand that you should be willing and able to shoot if need be but no one can know how many crimes ;thefts, rapes and
,murders have been prevented by an armed citizen who is willing to drawl his / her weapon and back the perpetrators down.

With no need to go into the details, let me say that twice in my life , as a civilian , I have drawn and pointed a weapon at perpetrators and stopped their actions without pulling the trigger myself. Granted, I have crossed the country several times by motorcycle usually alone so this often put me in a more vulnerable position than most people would find themselves.

But does it happen? It did to me. In both cases I have no regrets letting them go. In one of the cases I believe it would've been obvious self defense. The other, it was A group of bangers who wanted my motorcycle & showed no weapon But... for whatever reason, I didn't pull the trigger. And it was not because I can't , for certainly did in the service. It was a risky instinct that kicked in and I could've easily been wrong and Dead.
Ret

501 - 520 of 561 Posts