Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put 2500 rounds through my Colt 1911 this week and it has been some really good training.But now I have a problem__Both my rear and front sights are loose.So I was thinking of haveing some night sites put on it so I don't have to deal with the factory sights anymore.Have any of you guys had both your front and rear sights come loose from alot of shooting?It sucks but I had fun doing it.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I've had the rear sight of my now traded-off EAA Witness 10mm fly-off twice after less than a mag full of full-power 10mm ammo.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
yep ruger 22 Mark 2 front sight loose and rear sight would start sliding in the dovetail if you werent watching it would walk out the frame totally

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
My Ruger 22/54 same as Bud's MkII - in fact now it has compensator on but - despite some blue threadlock - still have to check that screw!!

Most other sights (handgun) as I recall have ''survived'' :wink:

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
loose sights

The problem with the Colt is there are no screws.The front sight is staked in and the rear is just a dovetail with no set screw.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i had a piece of crap ruger mk1 like that.

i had to temporarily tape the rear sight on.

lousy gun only had about 6000 rounds through it.:biggrin2:

·
Super Moderator
18,099 Posts
Actually, its pretty common to shoot the sights loose.
I see it at the range all of the time during CCW classes.

Wanna know how we fix it ?

Super Glue. Its simple and effective and will last as at least as long as the class is.:image035:

·
Registered
529 Posts
The AIMPOINT on my M4 shot loose.

The two screws that hold the mounting base together shot loose.

Put some Loc-tite ont he threads, re-tightened, and re-zeroed.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
check out the diffrent lock tite colors and decide which color you want to use.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Delta Force said:
I have put 2500 rounds through my Colt 1911 this week and it has been some really good training.But now I have a problem__Both my rear and front sights are loose.So I was thinking of haveing some night sites put on it so I don't have to deal with the factory sights anymore.Have any of you guys had both your front and rear sights come loose from alot of shooting?It sucks but I had fun doing it.
No, but I once saw a guy shoot a TV (In the house..!) w/ a Glock 17..!
I know, that didn't help worth a darn..! :image035:

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
loose sights

rocky said:
check out the diffrent lock tite colors and decide which color you want to use.
Whare on the sights do I put the locktite?There are no screws to put it on.Do I put it in the dovetail?How about the front steaked in sight?Thanks in advance

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
yep on the rear ya just put it in the dovetail as for the front your gonna need it restaked dont know if locktite trick will work for that

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
loose sights

Thanks for the reply I will give it a try on the rear sight.What color lock tite works the longest?

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
I haven't shot any loose, but I had the paint on the front sight from my Star disintigrate in my face once. Good thing I had eyes on. I fired, felt stuff hit my face, went for a follow up shot and couldn't find the front sight (dark stall at the range).

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
had the front sight come off my glock 17 in 1990. just shot the sight off. what fun.
frankmako

1 - 20 of 24 Posts