Defensive Carry banner

Outside your home, have you not carried by choice in the last year?

• Yes, I chose to be unarmed, at least once

Votes: 50 57.5%
  • No, I was never unarmed by choice

Votes: 37 42.5%
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Outside your home (property) have you not carried a gun by choice in the last year?
Knife, pepper spray, dog, fist, angry wife, supreme situational awareness, don't count.
If you can't carry at work, that is not by choice.

I have to say yes:cautious:; rented a condo that had swimming pool last summer; went to pool unarmed.

Edit in response to post #3
Having to disarm to unavoidably go into a courthouse, sheriffs office, is not what I call a choice.
Disarm to go to a ballgame, that is a choice.
Disarm to take a cruise is a choice.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If you see me outside my house I have a gun on me.

·
Premium Member
36,727 Posts
There is always a choice, unless there is a newly-installed metal detector at the only entrance to the posted facility.

I made not one, not two, but three trips back to my truck a few weeks ago when I went to the County Building to pay my property taxes. The very sympathetic deputy sheriff was apologetic each time.

That incident all by itself makes your poll a very subjective one.

·
Registered
530 Posts
No, last time I was unarmed by choice was back in 2016, went to a baseball game and locked up my pistol in the car before entering stadium with metal detectors. I told my wife that we would only go to the game if we located parking right across the street from the stadium - we did that time. Next time we went there was no parking across the street so we drove back home and watched the game on t.v.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I left my carry in the car once this year when I went to my MIL's house for a holiday get-together. Other than that, only when going into Federal buildings (post office) or doctor's offices that are legally posted.

·
Administrator
21,369 Posts
Yeah. More than a couple times, mostly medical related, once where sedation was required and I've been battling hand problems (carpal tunnel in both hands and a really bad sprain in the right) for the last year where I didn't trust either hand for shooting so more often than not over the last 6 months or so been without a gun. Got killed twice last week and once yesterday.

The hand situation is finally improving, so that's nice.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Did it this morning. Had to drop my kids off at the bus stop in town. It's a 3 minute round trip. If we have issues that require a firearm where I am, we're in bigger trouble than that.

·
Registered
20,047 Posts
Absolutely. On a regular basis I will go about my business unarmed.
This is a conscious decision I make to allow myself decompression time, and to not become gun centric and paranoid freak.

It’s a personal decision, and a personal opinion. It is not dependent on any agreement or understanding from anyone else.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Absolutely. On a regular basis I will go about my business unarmed.
This is a conscious decision I make to allow myself decompression time, and to not become gun centric and paranoid freak.

It’s a personal decision, and a personal opinion. It is not dependent on any agreement or understanding from anyone else.
^^^^^THIS with the change of "regular" to "occasional" and "just depends" for me.

I was expecting a follow up question in the thread which was "how many times do you basically go unarmed by carrying something less than 9mm with that being borderline."

·
Premium Member
36,727 Posts
Yeah. More than a couple times, mostly medical related, once where sedation was required and I've been battling hand problems (carpal tunnel in both hands and a really bad sprain in the right) for the last year where I didn't trust either hand for shooting so more often than not over the last 6 months or so been without a gun. Got killed twice last week and once yesterday.

The hand situation is finally improving, so that's nice.
I'm wondering if the no, never types go without medical care rather than going unarmed?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
A couple of times in this winter, when I've had to go shovel out my motorhome at the local self storage place. Otherwise, no.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Yes I do from time to time. There is not any situation I will face where the outcome is anything other than God's will. Trust in the Lord with all your heart. - Proverbs 3:5

The gun is packing a fear when you come right down to it.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I volunteered at a Nursing Home. It was posted and it’s also a State Law not to carry there in those circumstances. I could have easily carried in a pocket but, decided to leave it in the car safe. The car was not far away and in sight often.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts