Defensive Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DPMS AR 308 I just recently purchased. I used an offset mount to mount the bushnell TRS 25. My problem is, I can see part of the windage scope cap when looking through the red dot. It doesn't matter where I position the red dot, I will still have part of the scope cap directly in my view when using the red dot. Any way around this? A riser? I could use a reflex micro red dot, but not a big fan of those and finding a good one isn't cheap. Can't justify spending $250+ for a reflex micro red dot such as burris fast fire III

Camera accessory Camera Binoculars Cameras & optics Photography

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Have you tried putting the mount on in reverse so the red dot is on the left side? May interfere with adjustment of the dot brightness but may be doable

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
Easy fix...ditch the red dot or the scope. A rifle with a magnified optic is a special
purpose weapon.
If you want in close such as CQB capability. dial back the x's and use with both eyes open.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i planned on using this rifle as a hunting and range/target rifle. For CQB/self defense, I got the WASR 762x39.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Easy fix...ditch the red dot or the scope. A rifle with a magnified optic is a special
purpose weapon.
If you want in close such as CQB capability. dial back the x's and use with both eyes open.
This would also save some weight.

I believe your running the same optic I am the P-308 4-12x? At 4x with both eyes open you can easily see the cross hair on your target at 25 yards not the perfect set up for however doable in a pinch.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Or place the red dot on top of the scope using a scope ring with a pic rail . I think glockman had the best solution though, ditch the red dot.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
270 Posts
Burris AR PEPR Tactical Riflescope Rings with Mount

I have a powered scope mounted with this. It's great. I have flip up iron sights at 45 degree offsets and I have no issues with my scope being in my line of sight....depending on your build and what not, this may cause you to need a riser on your stock for instant cheek weld.

However, this mount gives me proper sight alignment with a good cheek weld instantly, WITHOUT a riser on my stock. If you really want to keep the red dot I would look into this.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If your scope uses a 30mm tube you might look into something like this LaRue mount:

Aimpoint Micro T-1 Ring Mount, LT787 | LaRue Tactical

Kinda spendy but you could probably make it work. If your scope uses a 1 inch tube I'm not sure there will be too many options like that.

I liked the offset T1/ACOG setup I used to use but didn't have the compatibility problems you're having. The t1 was mainly for indoor close quarters use. While inside a dark house the illumination of the ACOG was terrible, especially against a white light. I'm sure you'll run into the same issue of not being able to see your scope reticle in low light so you'll find the red dot to be a quick alternative if you can find a mounting solution.

·
Super Moderator
20,163 Posts
I seriously doubt the TRS-25 will handle the .308 recoil for very long. I have one I use on a .22 and Bushnell replaced it once under warranty because the dot went stupid in bright daylight. Not sure it was recoil-related, but I also don't expect much from a $75 RDS.

You're kind of mixing modes here with a scoped .308 you want to make useful for CQB as well. Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, but - expect some compromises to make it happen. If only a small portion of your field of view is obscured in the RDS , I'd say live with it.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
I agree about getting rid of the red dot. If you want something for closer range on that gun, go with a 1-4 scope or something like that, or at least something that doesnt have giant turret knobs/covers like that scope does.

Reactions: G-man*

·
Super Moderator
20,163 Posts
Have you tried putting the mount on in reverse so the red dot is on the left side? May interfere with adjustment of the dot brightness but may be doable
At least at face value, this makes a lot of sense.

I know it's common practice to put an offset mount on the right side of the gun, but that leaves the ejection port a lot closer to vertical and thus more prone to having an empty fall back into the port. Make gravity work for you, not against you. Think it can't happen? I've shot from the left side of a barricade and had a nicely ejected empty bounce off the barricade and land right in the ejection port, tying up the gun. Might be a million-to-one shot that I couldn't repeat if I tried, but after that happened I'm more aware of which way the port is directed.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Take advantage of the current rebate that Burris has, where you buy an AR-332 or 536 Prism site, and get a Free fastfire 3. Sell the Prism site online for 80-90% of what they are going for online. This should get you a Fastfire for <$50.

Promotions | Burris Optics

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Hunting, range/target you really don't need a red dot. If you want to do CQB at the range, remove the scope, put on the red dot, and keep it on for hd. Put the scope back on and re zero before hunting. I do this with my AR, which is primarily HD. I have a scope on it for about a month per year. You should verify zero before hunting anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts