Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That would be me. I intended to buy a pistol grip with a fold out stock thing but was talked out of it by the gun store employee who basically said I would hate it, it would be awful etc. So I bought a Mossberg Maverick 12G and it is too LONG for me. Had no problem shooting it and I didn't fall over either :rolleyes: but it is too long for me to pump it easily. This is going to be for home defense. I will practice of course but it is not going to be used to hunt or any other purpose. I have several handguns and a AR 15 but would like to have a shotgun as well. I am not small, 5'5", just average length arms. I gave the Maverick to my 6' son. Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
He 6'2"
She 5'1"

We both do well with our mossberg 500, with a pistol grip and collapsible AR-15 style stock. My wife shoots it one notch back from all the way forward, I shoot with it all the way extended.

I'm not familiar with the maverick, but if it's a 500 receiver, you can get a collapsible stock and pistol grip like ours for it, or you can get a bantam (youth/ladies) stock that reduces your length of pull and should make working the action a little easier.

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Here is mine & my wife's.....

Her Mossy has a Hogue over-molded stock. You can see how much shorter than the standard length of my 870. This helped her a lot by decreasing the length of pull. (she's 5'5" 125lbs)

(she also likes the Aimpoint, since there is one on her M4gery....)

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Knoxx, now Blackhawk have recoil reducing stocks if that's an issue. Also, the 20 guage is often overlooked as an adequate SD shotgun.
HD only, I'd go with a pistol grip (to reduce length) 20 guage junior loaded with buckshot with a mounted light. Depending on the home (apartment, house etc.), you needs will vary. JMO

·
Registered
941 Posts
A stock upgrade should fix things for you. Or you can look at shotties in a youth configuration. That should shorten things up so you can pump it ;)

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
The shortened or adjustable stock will make the biggest difference...You could also look into an autoloader. It would lessen the recoil and with a shortened stock solve the length problem...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help! I have already given the Maverick to my son, so an alteration is not in the cards, it fits him perfectly.

I am going to check into all the suggestions, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with the previous poster on the 870 youth 20. If that's not an option, my wife and 16 yr. old daughter (both under 5'5") shoot a Maverick 20 gauge. The stock is shorter on the 20 and shorter barrels can be purchased for the Maverick line of shotguns. I own the 12 gauge you gave to your son. I put an 18 1/2" barrel on mine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'd go with a 12ga and federal low recoil buck with the flite control wad. Also try to get something with a sporting type forend rather than the shorter "rat-tail" or "corn-cob" type. Slap a houge youth stock or the speedfeed IV LE butstock on and your good to go. If you go with a mossberg with the tang safty skip the pistol-grip type stock. Since blackhawk took over production of the Knox recoil reducing stocks they have done a little redesign (read "cheaper") and I have heard of the stock slipping out of the channel on occasion and I even hear of the spring slipping the cam and whacking a gun in the face. If you want recoil reduction buy reduced recoil ammo and a good recoil pad.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Here's another vote for a 20 ga. youth model pump gun-either Remington or Mossberg flavor will do. 20 ga. buck or slug loads are certainly adequate for home protection. In addition to having lower recoil than standard 12 ga. loads, the frames on the 20 ga. guns are smaller and lighter.

If you want to hang extra hardware on your gun, a smith can help fit a magazine extension to your shotty, but for home defense purposes, it probably isn't necessary. (Some Remington "Express" models require a minor alteration to remove "dimples" from the end of the magazine tube before an extension can be added. I discovered that the 870 express Youth Model I bought for my son some years ago did NOT have that problem.)

PC

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
My wife has both Remington 1100 20ga and Stoeger Coach Gun 20ga. Her Stoeger is her favorite, by far.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
If you can handle the 12ga, I'd stick with it. More ammo options. I like the Flite Control low recoil OO load, but federal has discontinued it for civillians (send your angry emails often) it's a harder to find LEO load now. For 20 you pretty much have any load you want as long as it's #3 buckshot. Go for the 12 and add a youth stock or shorten the adult stock. It is possible to shorten the stock a lot, then add a soft, thick recoil pad, like Sorbothane or similar. We charge less than $40 for that. If you get the stock modified consider adding a weighted recoil reducer like the "Dead Mule" or similar while the work is being done.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
If I could get a 870 in youth for 12 gauge, I would, and I am 6'3" and 285. Just a very light movable gun. I also agree with retsupt...the coach guns are very nice also. You can buy some very good defense rounds in 20 now. the market has become much better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is what is next to my bedroom door.

Guess which one is mine and which ones my wifes....

Not that I would usually advocate a Mossberg, but I got a fantastic deal on this 500c, and after a little action work, she smoothed out and became a great little shooter for my wife.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
If you can handle the 12ga, I'd stick with it. More ammo options. I like the Flite Control low recoil OO load, but federal has discontinued it for civillians (send your angry emails often) it's a harder to find LEO load now. For 20 you pretty much have any load you want as long as it's #3 buckshot. Go for the 12 and add a youth stock or shorten the adult stock. It is possible to shorten the stock a lot, then add a soft, thick recoil pad, like Sorbothane or similar. We charge less than $40 for that. If you get the stock modified consider adding a weighted recoil reducer like the "Dead Mule" or similar while the work is being done.
Streicher's carries the Flite Control loads - and they'll sell to non-LEO.

Just for what it's worth.

Matt

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts